Push ups

Options
How do you go from only being able to do a handful of girly push ups to full-monty- unmodified push ups with ease?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    start doing incline push-ups - ie. with the same form you would if parallel to the ground, place your hands against the wall, keep your elbows in and lower your body towards the wall.

repeat.

over time you will find you can increase the angle so you are lower and lower down the wall, or off a table.

eventually you will reach ground level, and after that, raise your legs on something......

:)
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    even at my best physical shape, I have NEVER EVER been able to do ONE "real" push-up... I'll add it to the bucket list
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    By doing them - you can start yourself on a progression making them more difficult for example -

Wall push-ups
    Push-ups on a high table
    Pushups on a low step
    Unmodified push-ups

And then, just for fun -

Walking pushups
    Pushup jacks
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    How do you go from only being able to do a handful of girly push ups to full-monty- unmodified push ups with ease?

PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE.. Persistence and determination!!!
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Practice. Lots and lots of practice.

Another poster's recommendation about trying incline and slowly moving closer and closer to the floor is a good one too.
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Keep doing push ups from your knees. Then do push ups in a full plank, but with your hips slightly raised - this will put your weight back a little, and off of your hands. As you get stronger, move your hips down more until your body is in one straight line - don't ever let your hips drop, though! Always keep your core strong. Just go down as far as you can. And keep working on it, a little every other day. You'll get there in no time! :)
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Will try the incline adjustment. I do all my push ups on my fists because I have a painful wrist (I damaged it from pushing it too far to pop it)
    Not sure if the fist thing is holding me back because I haven't built up my stabilizer muscles or not
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    As you get good with girly push ups with your knees on the ground, then try doing them with your knees on a step. Eventually you'll be strong enough to get on your toes.
    Also instead of aligning your hands with your shoulders, align them more with your chest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Define handful? Keep working and work your way up to say 20, 25, 30 girly pushups, what ever it takes. Each time try to do the first one unmodified, the rest girly, and increase that end number or dow more sets. Eventually you will build up the strength to get there. When you get one unmodified, go for two next time with the rest modified. Don't give up, repetition and practice will get you where you want to be.
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    someone beat me to it. check out http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.fBr92GMv.dpbs It's a great way to build up from a few to many
  • mleboid1
    mleboid1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Progressive push ups. Starting February 1, do one. Each day, add one more. By the end of the month, you'll be amazed that you're doing 28 push ups. I like starting at the beginning of the month so I can easily track how many I should be doing each day.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    By doing them - you can start yourself on a progression making them more difficult for example -

Wall push-ups
    Push-ups on a high table
    Pushups on a low step
    Unmodified push-ups

And then, just for fun -

Walking pushups
    Pushup jacks

This, and here's a video example of a progression http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mi7pZncY4Q

Get off your knees, it's not the same exercise and you're wasting your times and causing discomfort to your knees.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Wall push-ups
    Push-ups on a high table
    Pushups on a low step
    Unmodified push-ups

And then, just for fun -

Walking pushups
    Pushup jacks

That's great advice! I will try this.. Thank you!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

www.hundredpushups.com

I am 51 yo. For my entire life I could never do "full-monty" pushups. I started using the website above in Sept. Yesterday I did 100. Not all at once, but in sets varying from 5 - 20. And I'm still improving. Not as fast as the program seems to think I should. I've repeated weeks several times. But for me, doing 20 pushups in one set is a very big deal! :smile:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Will try the incline adjustment. I do all my push ups on my fists because I have a painful wrist (I damaged it from pushing it too far to pop it)
    Not sure if the fist thing is holding me back because I haven't built up my stabilizer muscles or not

You could try using these

pushupbars.jpg

to relieve wrist strain, or a substitute such as hexagonal dumbbells or kettlebells (big heavy ones), depending on what your gym has.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.voq81BxI.dpbs

Also, as others said..Practice -:-)
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure...it wasn't an option in bootcamp....girls had to do real pushups and there was no choice about it....pushups until you couldn't pushup no more, then do a few more after that on noodle arms. Then do some with a rifle on the backs of your hands....sorry, I guess I'm no help.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    I'm not sure...it wasn't an option in bootcamp....girls had to do real pushups and there was no choice about it....pushups until you couldn't pushup no more, then do a few more after that on noodle arms. Then do some with a rifle on the backs of your hands....sorry, I guess I'm no help.

Sometimes that's 3 push ups! My program calls for TWO 3 set push ups: Narrow and wide.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE.. Persistence and determination!!!

this!

i could only do girl press ups to start with, but since i started using dumbells as well i can now do 6 proper press ups and am working my way to a set of 10 and then 3 sets of 10.

i am hoping that starting NROL4W will help me increase my upper body strength too

doing plank to press up is great as well!!