How I do Tuna

Options

Replies

• pam4413
    pam4413 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like diced celery, pickle relish, lite mayo, chopped red onion and a few pecans for crunch. Served on half of a multigrain bun or on top of lettuce. The pecans give it a good crunch.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with humus... it is really good!

Me too! Best tuna is mixed with roasted red pepper hummus with a few sweet gherkins and a hardboiled egg in it.... Eaten right out of the BOWL!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I prefer sushi grade.

Why would you mix it with mayo?
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I drain it then mix it with diced tomatoes and salsa (505 Southwestern Green Chile Sauce is the best). It's seriously numtastic.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I like to mix mine with creamy horseradish instead of mayo. I get the creamy consistency plus a good kick of heat at the same time. Pickles and some sweet relish cut the heat if I use too much.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    LOVE TUNA !!!!!!!!!!!!! mix with lil mayo, relish, chopped egg , pepper, oinion....delish !!

cut a cucumber in half and hollow out the seed..fill it with tuna or chicken salad ..YUMMY !!!!!!!!!!
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You know how mayo adds a ton of calories and so does olive oil? Just discovered that Total 0% fat greek yoghurt (only 57 cal for 100g!) can totally replace mayo! Mix in a little lemon juice, some black pepper, chili pepper, cayenne, curry, any zero cal spices... or some cucumber and mint.. whatever seasoning you like and YUM-O!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I need to get more adventurous with my tinned tuna, I can see.
    Great ideas here - like the idea of using Greek yogurt instead of mayo, I'll try it next time.
  • gatx
    gatx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge mayo fan so always try different things instead of mayo. I am usually adding extra salt and other things when I use mayo. But recently I found my new favorite way to make tuna.

I mix tuna with hummus... holy yum, its GOOD. I like jalapeno hummus mixed with tuna. Red pepper or vegetable hummus... also awesome! try it.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the best canned tuna I have ever tasted is Wild Planet Skipjack Tuna. It has no additives (like soy) and it's quite literally the filet only. I mix it with some mayo, mustard, dill relish, celery, onions, and maybe some crumbled cheddar cheese or chopped hard boiled egg. Sooo tasty on toasted bread! I also eat it on a bed of salad greens or scoop it out of the bowl with celery sticks.
  • mrsrobinsonlj
    mrsrobinsonlj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tuna pack (water) (80 cal)
    Sandwich thin (100 cal)
    Red pepper hummus (25-50 cal)
    Low fat sting cheese ("string" in to pieces) (50 cal)

Make two open faced tuna "sandwiches" by spreading some hummus on the bread topped with the tuna and string cheese and place in the toaster oven!
    Low calorie, low fat and filling
  • abbiekgurl
    abbiekgurl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Tuna in fantastic! Instead of mayo, I like to add in some avocado. Like others mentioned, Greek yogurt is also a great substitute. Toss in some relish, cucumbers, green pepper, red onion, and egg - magnifico!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    LOVE TUNA !!!!!!!!!!!!! mix with lil mayo, relish, chopped egg , pepper, oinion....delish !!

cut a cucumber in half and hollow out the seed..fill it with tuna or chicken salad ..YUMMY !!!!!!!!!!

A cucumber boat! Such a great idea!
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AJennaM
    AJennaM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't really like Tuna so I substitute the Salmon that comes in the little plastic tub things. A little lite mayo and some fresh chopped green onion is enough. Occassionally I use the diet (saccarine) sweet relish.

I like that they're getting away from the cans since those cause significant BHP spikes. I'm not sure what the consequences of that is but it doesn't seem like something you want happening with something you eat frequently (or feed your kids regularly!).
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I like tuna (canned or sushi grade, seared) on top of a salad. With the canned tuna, I find if I also have some cottage cheese on top of a leafy green/ vegetable salad, I hardly need any dressing at all.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    the same way i do it :)
  • andreamarieroberts
    andreamarieroberts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BEST TUNA RECIPE EVER!!! I got it from Lydia's italy cooking show. You can adjust the amounts as you like, Lydia's original recipe had tuna in oil and a TON of olive oil. I have reduced the amt of oil four our purposes. You also might want to add more vinegar and seasoning if you like it very seasoned. Very healthy and very yummy!

2 cans albacore or chunk light in water, drained
    1 can garbanzo beans, drained
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsely
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 tsp italian seasoning
    1 tsp minced garlic
    salt and pepper to taste.

Mix all ingredients, chill and serve scooped on whole romaine leaves. DELICIOUS!!!
  • fithannafit
    Options
    bump!
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    If anyone like Jimmy Johns tuna Sandwiches than you will like this much healthier way of making it (minus the celery)... I take the can of tuna and actually squeeze all the extra juice out of it, chop up some onion and add Mayo as you see fit (i use a little less than a tblspoon per can) and then a shake or two of soy sauce... mix er up and enjoy!