EER - Estimated Energy Requirment

Options
After the Christmas period, im back to lose the last 10lbs, (im 5ft 6 inches and 170 lbs) I was finding it hard before the holidays.
So i went to a Dietitian and she worked out my EER (Estimated Energy Requirement) of 1600 calories daily . (this takes into account my exercise regime)

So she went through the food pyramid and gave me the following formula to use,

6 portions of Carbs daily (Eg 1 slice of bread is one portion )
6 Portions of F&V (Eg 1 pear is one portion)
3 Portions of Dairy (Eg 125g of low fat yogurt is one portion)
2 Portions of Protein (Eg 75 g of lean meat is one portion)
2 portions of Fat (Eg 1 teaspoon of butter is one portion)

Im just wondering if anyone has kept to these portions before and if so did it work???

Thanks for the advice in advance

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    To your question - no I have not used the formula before - BUT - seems to be very low in protein.
    I will not survive on only 150g of meat, fish or chicken a day - that is my protein portion for one meal!!

In my humble experience protein is what keeps me satiated - and the munchies at bay - so if you struggle eating to her plan I suggest you look at increasing protein...

But then your dietician is a professional - so what do I know I suppose - other than what works for me
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    After the Christmas period, im back to lose the last 10lbs, (im 5ft 6 inches and 170 lbs) I was finding it hard before the holidays.
    So i went to a Dietitian and she worked out my EER (Estimated Energy Requirement) of 1600 calories daily . (this takes into account my exercise regime)

Im just wondering if anyone has kept to these portions before and if so did it work???

how do you work out what a portion is, when its something like an egg? it has good fats, protein and is dairy!? which do you count it as? 2 portions of fat isnt loads - if you have a slice of toast with butter, a handful of nuts and then stirfry some veg for your tea in a bit of oil thats 3 portions?

I think its a good guide for the carbs and veg (though veg are carbs....??), though to me 1600 which includes exercise isnt loads, unless you do very littl exercise? i only say that because to lose the last 10lbs you should only have a small deficit (roughly 250 cals below TDEE), and i am 5ft5 and 125lbs and i lose 1/2lb per week on NET 1600 cals (eating back exercise calories)

to be honest, i would say try it for 6 weeks, if you dont see results, tweak it a little.

but as the other poster has said, i only know what works for me!
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options

how do you work out what a portion is, when its something like an egg? it has good fats, protein and is dairy!? which do you count it as? 2 portions of fat isnt loads - if you have a slice of toast with butter, a handful of nuts and then stirfry some veg for your tea in a bit of oil thats 3 portions?

I think its a good guide for the carbs and veg (though veg are carbs....??), though to me 1600 which includes exercise isnt loads, unless you do very littl exercise? i only say that because to lose the last 10lbs you should only have a small deficit (roughly 250 cals below TDEE), and i am 5ft5 and 125lbs and i lose 1/2lb per week on NET 1600 cals (eating back exercise calories)

to be honest, i would say try it for 6 weeks, if you dont see results, tweak it a little.

but as the other poster has said, i only know what works for me!

Based on the meal plan provided, I'm guessing the aim is to eat approx 1600kcal/day rather than that being the total energy requirement. Something like an egg is a protein, it works on food groups rather than individual nutrients. Hopefully this was all explained at the consultation (helps that I am a dietitian ;)).
  • sharonole
    sharonole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thanks for the opinions. ill give it a go anyways for 4/6 weeks and see then.