What do you think about the Fitbit Products

Options
I've been contemplating getting a Fitbit for a few months and I wanted to get opinions before I went out and paid a hundred dollars for it. Do you think it's good? A waste of money? Does it log inaccurate calorie burns? Do you not like the colour? Tell me what you think about it please and thank you!! :)

Replies

• spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Mine died after 2 months - it stopped syncing with my computer no matter what I did. The FitBit people still dont' have any way to contact them by phone, so if something goes wrong you have to email them then wait up to a week for a reply. I tried everything they suggested but to no avail.
    I still use it to count my steps, but not being able to sync in is kinda annoying. If I had to do it over again, I would probably just buy a good pedometer.

Just my 2cents :drinker:
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    @spozzybear The 2 cents is what I'm aiming for ;) I'm sorry that happened, idk why they wouldn't think to have made a way to contact yet. Sounds pretty frustrating.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love mine! It has given me a pretty good idea of my daily calorie burn. It seems to be accurate and can be an eye opener.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I love mine zip, but have only had it for a week. I work from home, so don't have any use for the step counter, and am not fussed about monitoring my sleep, so the zip works brilliantly for me.

It's motivated me to be more active, which is the whole point.
  • easycure
    easycure Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love my ultra!!! I've had it for about 4 months and its wonderful! Pushes me to work harder and get to my goals. Also four of my friends have it, so we compete with each other every day! Its awesome! It has really helped me loose weight!
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    ive had mine for almost a week and i really love it! i havent even had the chance to work out with it yet because i have been sick, but it seems very accurate and it definitely will get you motivated to work out. ive been dying to work out but wont until im all better. i think its a great investment!
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've had one since last May and I'm glad to have it! It gives me a much better idea of how many calories to eat during the day on days that I'm active, but don't actually work out (using an HRM).

I leave my settings on MFP set on sedentary, but then use the extra calories allotted by having the Fitbit synced to MFP to give me a more accurate calorie goal daily.

It's a great little device!
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I'm glad to hear the majority of you are enjoying it! :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I love mine, it seems to be pretty accurate. I started using it 2 weeks ago after being stalled out for months, down a lb. as of today!
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I love mine, it seems to be pretty accurate. I started using it 2 weeks ago after being stalled out for months, down a lb. as of today!

Congratulations on getting off of the plateau!! :)
  • LondonCalling2
    LondonCalling2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had my Ultra for a year and have really enjoyed having it - but I love data.

It seems to be reasonably accurate - and I love that it has an altimeter so that when I walk on the hilly paths in the large wooded park near my house, it gives me an idea of the equivalent flights of stairs.

I did find their customer service to be reasonbly good last year - even with the email caveat - and they replaced my original one after a few months when the hinge area developed a crack (therefore, I wouldn't recommend using it to track your sleep, which seems pretty useless, anyway, since it's based on movement and not some more sophisticated methodology).
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I got my Fitbit One at Christmas and so far I love it!
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I got my FitBit Zip in October, I think. Anyway, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! It has been the best motivator for me!! I check it all day long!!! I was away from my dongle thing for 2 weeks at Christmas, but it still loaded the data when I got back! I thought that was awesome!!!!!! My Zip is bright pink!!
  • paulabsc
    paulabsc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been contemplating getting a Fitbit for a few months and I wanted to get opinions before I went out and paid a hundred dollars for it. Do you think it's good? A waste of money? Does it log inaccurate calorie burns? Do you not like the colour? Tell me what you think about it please and thank you!! :)

I LOVE MY FITBIT...I LOST IT THE OTHER DAY FOR A FEW MINUTES....I WAS GOING CRAZY LOOKING FOR IT..FOUND IT CLIPPED TO MY BRA.....ROFLMAO!!!!..IT MAKES LIFE EASY WHEN YOU WANT TO SEE HOW ACTIVE AND TO MOTIVATE YOU TO GET GOING....
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love my Ultra. It's one of my favorite gadgets and by far the best gadget I've bought for myself health-wise. I'm way more motivated to get moving and it's been very accurate for me so far. I would recommend it to anyone, dieting or not. It's a great little tool.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    so far I love it!!
  • leanngreen
    leanngreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my ultra. I also like the fact that you get friends, just like here, they motivate you and if you want, it can be competative as well. I could not believe how little I was moving when I first started to use it. It has made me change ways I do things, because I challenge myself to do better. For example, when I put laundry away, instead of carrying everything upstairs, I carry one stack up at a time, i get more stairs and steps in that way. Also, i let the dogs out, then I have to go downstairs and let them outside, so I took over the chore and my husband and kids love that. I like to compete against myself, ",just 100 more steps until I beat my best count" etc. Good luck with your decsions. (-:
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in the FitBit One, its pretty amazing technology in such a small package. It has a calorimeter, pedometer, altimeter, and various other things built in, such as an alarm clock and the crazy little thing even cheers you on throughout the day. So it keeps track of the number of steps you take in a day, the flights of stairs, provides feedback to you through the day and syncs up to your own personal FitBit page to track your data throughout the day and from week to week and month to month. Now, before you think, "Oh great! I have to maintain a journal at MFP AND at FitBit's site!" don't worry about it - FitBit integrates its feedback into MFP pretty much seamlessly. I go to the MFP site and the FitBit site throughout the day and its so user friendly, its a piece of low-calorie cake.

I have been using mine for about a month and I really think its a fantastic tool. I wear it more or less 24 hours a day. It is really effective for counting my strides on the elliptical at the gym. There are days that I am close to my objectives for the day but haven't met my goals. I will find myself walking around the house or climbing stairs just to get in another few hundred steps so I can end the day at 100% on my goals. Some of my goals include walking 10,000 steps (about five miles) a day, climbing 15 flights of stairs daily (that means 15 up and 15 down). It tracks how many miles you walk, how many calories you burn each day, and even keeps track of your sleep patterns. It can tell you how fast you fall asleep, how often you wake up through the night, and on and on. As I said previously, the FitBit One automatically syncs up to MyFitnessPal so that it makes calorie adjustments for you if you are working out throughout the day. Since I want my calories in and out to be as accurate as possible, I enabled negative calories. That means if you sit on your butt all day on the weekend and are normally active, it will adjust your calorie allotment down for the day so that you are not exceeding your MFP calories and gaining.

If you are curious, you can look at my food and exercise diary. I have FitBit calorie adjustments that it makes automatically on days I stay active, which these days is pretty much every single day. You'd have to look at yesterday's results because I dont have a means to sync up at work yet (I will by the end of this week). Tonight when I get home, it will true up my activity levels and calorie burn for the day.

The FitBit One is such a good motivator, in no time you may find yourself climbing 75 flights of stairs in one day to beat your old record and burn a few more calories without going to the gym. I highly, highly recommend the FitBit One!
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I will look into it
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    i had the original model and the the ultra and am going to look at getting the fitbit one soon.

If you can get yours from REI and pay the $20 to be a member their replacement plan rocks :) inaddition to your warrenty.

I am a busy mom of twins, with out it i would never remember to log my steps or my old pedometers would reset and I would not know how many steps I really took. It can go for like 3-5 days with out communicating with the service and saving the data, which is great if you travel or are on vacaation. The battery life is decent, so decent i forget alot but there is an app you can get to send you a reminder when it gets low.

Sometimes there are hiccips between MFP and FITbit, but they are do able.

I do use the sleep feature, it helps me alot to realize how much sleep I am getting, and I can tell when my kids were up and in my room by looking at the sleep tracker :) helps me track their sleep to! HA it is based on motion but you can tell by the big gaps if you were up or just restless :)

I love the step counter and stairs feature if you can afford to get the model with both, it is really nice to have them both IMO

the original fitbit and the fitbit ultra both have a know issue with crackin at the "U" part in the clip I emailed customer service it didn"t take long and they replaced mine with very little hassel (sent them pics of the damage and info on where it was purcahsed) but because it is an issue my new one cracked as well. This problem is alieviated with the new models that do not have that stress point in the hardware :) so if you are looking to save a few buck and go with the older model know that cracking does happen frequently :) and if you are a sweater that is not ideal . I covered mine with electrical tape until i had it replaced :) and using the clip works too, but the clip is bulky on that model and does not fit as well.

in comparison to other pedometers i have not yet dropped my fitbit in the toilet :) other cheap plastic models allways dropped in the toiler. being able to wear it on my bra has helped

I love the charts and what not on the fitbit site, they are somtimes easier to look at than the data on MFP but I use mFP to do all my tracking. FB also sends me a weekly email with my best and worst days and how much I ate burnt...etc. At the end of the year it sent me an email telling me how far I had walked in a year. kinda fun.

Also I am synced with earned it, so it tracks my steps and i can redeem points for coupons towards protien bars etc, i never use them cause you have to spend money which i don"t have, but I redeam my points to charity :) so that make me feel like I am loosing weight and giving back :)

other pedomoter while quiet do make some rattling noises, the electronic fitbits do not. bonus

when I got my fitbit I wore it with my $10 pedometer and it was with in 100 steps.

I would reccomend them to anyone :) both my husband and i use them and have used the old cheapo's too. They go great with regular clothes or hidden or with dress clothes.