Thread for the easily NERDgasmic...

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    We can argue all night, but almost everything is a scheme of the Illuminati.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think mankind has peaked when it comes to figuring out what can be done with the planet, its resources and the laws of physics.

I pretty much totally agree...we only have a few more breakthroughs left in us....

Blasphemy
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe there is no single divine being and all humans past drama - success - survival - intelligence - and technology all came from "aliens". The proof is everywhere, from Stonehenge to the pyramids, to underwater cities to Mayan ruins. Hieroglyphs, artifacts, depictions of "beings coming from the sky" in the bible and many ancient texts. Either way you put this, anything that comes from the heavens is "alien to this earth", but finding of "landing pads" and strategic magnetic placement of giant rocks on the earth all point to unparalleled knowledge given to humans but a superior race sitting among the stars. Just look between 1800 - now. The increase in technology is imaginable, compared to 0 bc to1700 ad. Thats over 2000 years. 200 years and we went from just discovering electricity to having devices the size of leafs to connect and talk to each other over thousands of miles in a second. No way we could have done this on our own.

Check out this web page:
    http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/

Btw, it is amazing what one can build up to with a few postulates.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    ---
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options

My 2 cents -
    I always get upset at the end of Aladdin. When he has to use his last wish to set the genie free. Why not hand the lamp to Jasmine?

GENIUS!
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Ancient Aliens on the History channel or H2 has me thoroughly convinced...

Anyone have any theories on who the villian is in the upcoming Star Trek Into the Darkness movie? I've already been advised that "John Harrison" is JJ's version of "John Smith"...it means he's not telling. I personally think Gary Mitchell is a decent bet.
  • jeckalynne
    Options
    100% Geek here - not so much on the Nerd side of things (bit stooopid for Nerdy) but well up on my geekness. Love my fantasy games/books and a HUGE horror nerd. I'm also one of the people who will worship Joss Whedon!! :)

^^^omg yesssss
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3583-the-geek-squid

Feel free to join our nerdy/geeky group! :D

Awesome and thnks! :)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Higgs Boson and string theory amaze me. I can watch shows about quantum physics all night. It blows my mind thinking about infinite parallel universes. One of the biggest mind-f's I have seen lately is how string theory only works when you accept that there are 11 dimensions in our universe, including time and the three spatial dimensions we perceive.
    It was interesting growning up reading Marvel comic books and later in life finding out that a lot of what they write (gravitons, gluons, multiversal theories, etc.) was based on real-life physics. A lot of people think of comic books as "Wham-Bam-Zowie" kiddie stuff with expository language ("Stop, vile villian!"), but some books get really deep in the sciences, especially physics. Those writers did some serious research too because it's not like WikiPedia and Google were readily available in the 80s-90s! :glasses:
    Oh, and watching something about magnetars and pulsars the other day I saw it theorized that magnetars generated their immense magnetic fields because they were filled with a spinning liquid so non-viscous that it had a zero coefficient of friction. Kind of messed with me for a bit there.
    Sounds like liquid helium. ZERO viscosity. So low that if you were able to pour a glassful, it would flow completely over the top and out of the glass!
    Pulsars creep me to *kitten* out! How can something so big spin so... damn... fast!

Oh, and black holes get all the press! Why no love for quasars?! </supressed perverted response>
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    People have heard of black holes for years, even if they don't really understand what they are. Quasars are a brand of televisions to most people.

Quasars are amazing to me, simply because they are so distant. Also because they have decided that they are (or were) super massive black holes at the center of distant galaxies consuming massive amounts of stellar material.
  • coolraul07
    Options
    One show I really like is with Michau Kaku called SciFi Science. He goes arround looking at science fiction movies and figures out ways to make them in real life.
    The only problem I had with the show was that some had a continuity aspect. I remember one where he was talking about a faster-than-light starship. The whole ep I'm like, "what about micro-meteoroids and other debris"?! In the last 90 secs, he mentions a force field as an afterthought. Apparently, he had an entire episode dedicated to that but I never saw it.
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to go too deep into nerd knowledge. =P

I'm always impressed with electricity and light. Both the electron and photon are still unknown which leads to weird and freaky results! Current always travels the path of least resistance, light always the shortest path - interesting stuff.

I would love to hear some views from some fellow nerds on what they believe electrons and protons are!
  • coolraul07
    Options
    Ancient Aliens on the History channel or H2 has me thoroughly convinced...

Anyone have any theories on who the villian is in the upcoming Star Trek Into the Darkness movie? I've already been advised that "John Harrison" is JJ's version of "John Smith"...it means he's not telling. I personally think Gary Mitchell is a decent bet.
    I'm deliberately not thinking about it because I want to be surprised. I'm still pissed that DS9 got no movie love! Twas my favorite series, but I'm not trying to start a holy war about it!

One more thing, why did Spock have so much red matter on that ship when he only needed such a small amount for the task?
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    <--- Full blown NERD alert here! Eletrical Engineer and Mathematics degree. Never got into the Aliens show on the History Channel but I do love me some fact or fiction shows where they debunk myths and folklore (sp?) throughout history. Bf is a history nerd so together we cover all the bases I think lol
  • coolraul07
    Options
    <--- Full blown NERD alert here! Eletrical Engineer and Mathematics degree. Never got into the Aliens show on the History Channel but I do love me some fact or fiction shows where they debunk myths and folklore (sp?) throughout history. Bf is a history nerd so together we cover all the bases I think lol

@kgolovin: All you need is a literature and pop-culture expert and you're a perfect "phone-a-friend" for "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"! Oh wait... off the air. :frown:
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    DS9 did have some of the most fantastically written episodes. They had so much more work to do starting with a static base of operations. Being that the re-boot movies are in TOS geneneration, I don't think we'll ever get to see DS9 on the big screen.

I read some guys dying wish was to see Into the Darkness but they were concerned he wasn't going to make it. JJ heard about it and screened a rough print for him. He died a few days later with the last words of "I'm going into the future". That there's some high level nerdiness!
  • Aspiring_Inferno
    Options
    I firmly believe there is no single divine being and all humans past drama - success - survival - intelligence - and technology all came from "aliens". The proof is everywhere, from Stonehenge to the pyramids, to underwater cities to Mayan ruins. Hieroglyphs, artifacts, depictions of "beings coming from the sky" in the bible and many ancient texts. Either way you put this, anything that comes from the heavens is "alien to this earth", but finding of "landing pads" and strategic magnetic placement of giant rocks on the earth all point to unparalleled knowledge given to humans but a superior race sitting among the stars. Just look between 1800 - now. The increase in technology is imaginable, compared to 0 bc to1700 ad. Thats over 2000 years. 200 years and we went from just discovering electricity to having devices the size of leafs to connect and talk to each other over thousands of miles in a second. No way we could have done this on our own.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :drinker:

The bigger question is, with so much evidence of them being around that long ago, and influencing us and the environment... where are they now?

Why did they desert us?
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options

The steam engine is almost solely responsible for the rapid advances of the last 200 or so years, and it certainly wasn't inspired by aliens. Don't underestimate the power of human ingenuity. The world became a smaller place, information was more readily available and easier to share. Advances came at an exponential rate. There's nothing mystical about it.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

You'd be surprised what a few decades and a few thousand slaves can pull off.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

The steam engine is almost solely responsible for the rapid advances of the last 200 or so years, and it certainly wasn't inspired by aliens. Don't underestimate the power of human ingenuity. The world became a smaller place, information was more readily available and easier to share. Advances came at an exponential rate. There's nothing mystical about it.

I've also read technology was able to develop faster once humans turned to grains as a main food source. More time for thinking, less time for hunter & gathering. It also encouraged humans to congregate into cities/civilizations because that's where food was being sent, and universities/technical schools weren't far behind that.