Apples make me hungrier - why?

Options

Replies

• Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I predict that this thread will contain the words blood sugar and/or insulin.

Wait for it...

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Aren't apples a negative calorie food?

Thats what I read on the internet.....

LSD skittles are also negative calorie food.

where do you find LSD skittles? i can only find skittle colored paper. it's very unsatisfying for the first 30 minutes, so i find myself eating too much.

then the universe turns into a giant squid and i miss work
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have just the opposite reaction.
    :smile:
    Try eating a pear...
  • cec993
    cec993 Posts: 1
    Options
    Because apples are acidic, contribute to stomach acid and make you feel hungry..
  • kurting81
    kurting81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating a couple of apples instead of just one? There aren't many calories in one apple so I would recommend eating as many as you like until you're full.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I was always told that apples have a lot of pectin and that's supposed to keep you fuller? Apparently because I believe it, it must be true, because I don't have that problem :wink:

Maybe try adding a bit of protein--peanut butter, cheese--and that will help?
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options

LSD skittles are also negative calorie food.

where do you find LSD skittles? i can only find skittle colored paper. it's very unsatisfying for the first 30 minutes, so i find myself eating too much.

then the universe turns into a giant squid and i miss work

:laugh:
    Made my morning.... THANKS!!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you add fat/protein to it --like cheese or peanut butter, as you observed -- it slows the absorption of glucose into the blood stream and thus you stay fuller longer because you've reduced the carb-induced blood sugar spike. That's my assumption.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I used to tell people this all the time and they would look at me lke I had two heads....Apples make my tummy grumble almost right afterwards and they leave me STARVING !!!!

SO what causes this?
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Don't have that problem ... but just in terms of nummy goodness ... I like an apple with a good old fashioned piece of cheddar or dipped in honey greek yogurt ... like I'm eating for breakfast now...
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Apples are low glycemic but that being said they do have fructose and your body could be turning it directly into sugar in your blood stream thereby spiking your blood sugar and then you have the immediate drop afterwards. Adding the protein will help take it longer to digest and enter your bloodstream.

What type of apple are you eating? For instance a Red Delicious is higher in sugar content...and are you eating the peel? The peel is highly necessary in order to give you fiber to slow the digestion of the apple/fructose.

One - I would select apples with lower sugar content (they are a little more sour; Honey Crisp, Fuji, Granny Smith)
    Two - Eat a protein with it; peanut butter, almonds, low fat cheese

Edit - also add a stalk of celery to your "snack" :smile:
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I definitly get the tummy rumbling thing after eating an apple...I just never equated that with hunger. To me it rumbles and grumbles because it is working on digesting a bit of fiber, not cause I feel hungry...What do I know, tho?
  • jasminetoi
    jasminetoi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bc its a carb! carbs always make you hungry....which is why restaurants serve bread before meals bc inevitably it will make you want more food...but there's good carbs and bad carbs...when dieting apples and oranges are a great snack!peanut butter adds protein and a craving fix too. keep eating them!
  • IndyMario
    IndyMario Posts: 236
    Options
    Peaches make me hungrier...
    I can eat a peach for hours!
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Dude, apples are 90-95% carbs. Once in your stomach it turns to energy almost immediately. Combining it with some protein or good fat (nuts) will definitely help with that empty feeling after eating that sweet, juicy, delicious apple. No......seriously.

^^^ This. Carbs make you more hungry; adding the protein of peanut butter counteracts that. I know; I'm on low carb, high protein plan & I stay full longer when I eat protein instead of carbs.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have always had this problem as well, now I know what to do about it :smile: I will never say no to adding some cheese or yummy almonds to my diet!
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Apples are low glycemic but that being said they do have fructose and your body could be turning it directly into sugar in your blood stream thereby spiking your blood sugar and then you have the immediate drop afterwards. Adding the protein will help take it longer to digest and enter your bloodstream.

What type of apple are you eating? For instance a Red Delicious is higher in sugar content...and are you eating the peel? The peel is highly necessary in order to give you fiber to slow the digestion of the apple/fructose.

One - I would select apples with lower sugar content (they are a little more sour; Honey Crisp, Fuji, Granny Smith)
    Two - Eat a protein with it; peanut butter, almonds, low fat cheese

Edit - also add a stalk of celery to your "snack" :smile:

I eat hney crisp, fuji and granny smith and this still happens and it has done this to me my whole life.... its crazy and it is an immediate reaction
  • Countryboy_
    Options

Are you a French model? :P lol

Uhhh,,,,,,bonjour?
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well the blood sugar crazy people are going to tell you it causes a spike in your blood sugar, which releases insulin, which clears your blood very quickly, causing your blood sugar to drop to nothing and making you feel more hungry. This may happen to some degree if you were just eating sugar with a spoon, but it will not happen in any significant way with an apple, which is filled with things other than sugar, like fiber for example.

So, ignore the people who are telling you that its your blood sugar.

Now to the scenario: you are hungry. You eat an apple, which is at most 100 calories (if its a giant one). If you're feeling legitimate hunger, your body want more food than this. So after eating the barely anything food, you're going to feel more hungry because you haven't had enough food. And now you're just teasing your brain, letting it get all excited that you're actually eating something, then disppointing with only an apple. Solution? Eat more than just 100 calories at a time.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Because it doesn't hit the spot! I need protein, too.