Getting Married...

Options
So I went wedding dress shopping the other day and got one for the size I am now. I've been wanting to lose weight for the wedding (like any typical bride), and after seeing the pictures of my bare arms I have all the motivation I need. My only concern is the fact that the more weight I lose, the more my alterations are going to cost, and I would hate for the dress to be altered beyond recognition. I'm wondering if I should just chill out and wait, if I can just tone up my arms and lose a little, or just go gung ho and not worry about it? Any recent brides out there that have any advice???

Edit-- The wedding is the first weekend in June

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depends what is more important to you, do you want to weigh less and pay for alterations or be happy with your body now and not pay for alterations.
  • seskovich
    Options
    You could just aim for a goal and try to hit it and wait until that last possible minute and only make one alteration to your dress so you don't have to keep redoing it.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    When is the wedding? A good dress shop will be able to advise you how "alterable" a dress is (for example...may be altered up to 1 size or 2 sizes smaller and then it's just going to look silly). My other advice is for example if you are a 20W now, maybe order a straight 18 instead of an 18W...depending on where you carry your weight (this might work if you are a pear, but maybe not so much if you are an apple shape). Also, find out when is the absolute latest you could order and take delivery and still have time for alterations.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well I can tell you that my dress looked terrible in my pictures because I lost about 20 lbs between ordering it and the wedding. It was too much too big for the alterations to look right, and it's sagging terribly in the back.

What I *wouldn't* do is order the dress too small in hopes you can fit into it later. We see lots of threads where people are panicking because it's 3 weeks until their wedding and their dress is too small, because they meant to lose weight but didn't. If you want to lose weight for your wedding either wait to order your dress until you're the size you want, or go ahead and order it in the size you are now and then plan for alterations. And stop losing after your final fitting.

Good luck with your decision and congratulations!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    For myself personally, I am waiting a bit to buy a wedding dress so that the alterations won't be too much. I also have 1 year 4 and a half months until the day I get married, so I have plenty of time to get where I want to be. If you have time, I'd say look around now if you want, but hold out on buying it until you get closer to where you want to be. :)
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Depends what is more important to you, do you want to weigh less and pay for alterations or be happy with your body now and not pay for alterations.

Agree! Personally I would wait with getting the dress until you are at the weight/shape you want to be. I just altered a corset I made as practice for my dress for the fourth time due to the change in waist, and I am getting bored with it! ;-)
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Loose the weight and pay for alterations. Do you want to look at your wedding pictures and regret seeing yourself not at your best?

I have alterations scheduled for beginning of April, and wedding in in end of May. My dress fits, but is little snug. By April it might be a perfect in waist, but since it is strapless I am sure I will need some alterations for perfect fit.
  • Carolannb1986
    Options
    So I went wedding dress shopping the other day and got one for the size I am now. I've been wanting to lose weight for the wedding (like any typical bride), and after seeing the pictures of my bare arms I have all the motivation I need. My only concern is the fact that the more weight I lose, the more my alterations are going to cost, and I would hate for the dress to be altered beyond recognition. I'm wondering if I should just chill out and wait, if I can just tone up my arms and lose a little, or just go gung ho and not worry about it? Any recent brides out there that have any advice???

My wedding is in june!! so i know where you are coming from but ive yet to find the dress, cutting it thinly now i know!
    I would say dow hat makes you happy hun, it is your wedding day, it is you who will be fondly looking at those photographs, it is you who will be hanging them on the wall, and showing to the grand kids.
    If your happy as you are but are a little in secure about your arms (btw is the tops I hate them to they look so big in photo's!!) then why not have a shrug around you :) xx good luck and all the best
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you haven't you may want to look into an independent seamstress - I had one who did a fabulous job and didn't charge nearly as much as the store would have.

Even more importantly perhaps, she was able to look at my dress (no charge) and say "here's the max that I can take in/let out without it looking differently", which will depend on the dress cut and style.
  • JennsPups
    Options
    I had my dress altered a lot, several sizes. I also had straps added, a corset added and the bust line tightened. You couldn't tell at all, so if you have a lot of alterations, make sure it's with a really good seamstress.
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine too small, lost more weight than I expected, and still had to get it taken in by more than 2 sizes. I was told by 2 seamstresses that they couldn't alter it and I would have to buy a new one. Then I found a seamstress "from the old country" who had been doing it her whole life, and she said "Yeah no problem!". Not even $200 later, my dress fit perfectly. If you look around for a really highly recommended seamstress, you can lose a lot of weight and not have to get a new dress. Depends on who is where you live though :D
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Seeing as you have the motivation to exercise and eat healthier, I wouldn't let the fear of a little additional cost of dress alterations deter you. Sounds like you are looking for excuses to validate your desire to not change your lifestyle.

I doubt you'll find many people here that will support your decision to wait.

I recommend finding out how long any alterations would take them to make. Then pad that by a few days and subtract that time from your wedding date and mark that date on your calendar. Then, as that day approaches, inform them that your dress will need alterations (assuming you've lost weight by that date).

You will be happier at your wedding showcasing the weight you lost vs wearing your current dress unaltered and saying to yourself "I should of put in the effort to change my lifestyle back in January."

Good luck and I wish you well in your nutrition and fitness goals.
  • Jirinka2
    Options
    I am getting married in June too and waiting to order my dress till March so if it needs alterations at later date it won't be too drastic.

For me it's important to feel beautiful in my wedding dress which I know at my current weight I wouldn't.
  • Fit_Is_Fabulous
    Fit_Is_Fabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I purchased my dress, the consultant told me that a dress can be altered 4-6 sizes and maintain its integrity. As long as you have someone who knows what they're doing I wouldn't worry about the dress looking wrong.

I can't give to advice on price, however. You have to weigh pros and cons. Is it more important for you to look "better" on your wedding day or to save money? I know for me, personally, I would rather look good. Those pictures will be hanging in your home for a lifetime, shelling out the extra $200 for alterations wouldn't even be a question. But, if the budget is already tight, then deciding to put a hold on weightloss might be the best choice.

However, you did say that you want to tone your arms. I'm not sure how much you weigh right now, but you can tone your arms all you want, but if you have excess fat covering the muscle you will not be able to see the toning. It's hard to say for sure without knowing your weight, but I would say it's unlikely like you can have the toned arms without changing weight. If you were only 5-10 pounds from your goal, that would maybe be a different story.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    A good seamstress should also be able to advise on how much a dress can be altered without changing it "beyond recognition". If it is THE dress and you are keen on getting it before someone snaps it up, maybe consider talking it through with an expert, considering a realistic weight/inch loss til June?
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    THanks everyone. I have to get it altered with davids bridal so I will talk to them when the dress comes in and see what they can do , how much they can alter, etc.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    So many brides end up being pregnant by their wedding day, that they usually come in bigger than the one you tried on, so adjustments are built right into the pricing.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Since it's from David's bridal, you might also have the option to do a "size exchange" for free. I know they do it for their other special occasion dresses. The rule is that it can't leave the shop, I believe. I was informed of this option when I had to order a bridesmaids dress only 2 weeks after giving birth (and that as actually a month past the "deadline".) They have to have enough time for the exchange, though, so you would still need to do it a while before your wedding.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What will make you feel amazing on your wedding day???