Advice for eating out at a Mexican Restaurant.

Options

Replies

• trexmsuee
    trexmsuee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi - we eat Mexican at least once a week. I have learned to bypass all of the chips, and my restaurant fixes a grilled chicken platter (about 8-10 oz) with grilled vegetables (about 2 cups) (basically a deconstructed fajita). Salsa is a great low-cal dressing.

However, I always "misc-add" about 200 calories to account for the cooking methods - not sure what oil they use and how much. In other words, there are certainly more calories in this meal than the bare ingredients suggest.

I'm not sure I concur with the "go for the guacamole" sentiment. It is very high in calories and fat, and I would reserve that for a "special" occasion.

Also, about 1/2 -1 cup of Mexican rice should be about 200 - 400 calories --- not to bad if you can't resist.

Good luck,
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I order my chicken fajita's made with no oil, extra veggies, and no tortillas. I usually ask for extra pico de gallo too!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    We can't go too many days without Mexican food down here in South Texas...when I'm being good, I have 2 chicken fajitas tacos on corn with guacamole & picode gallo. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: When I'm going to be bad, the options are endless! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Usually Mexican restaurants have Chicken Lettuce wraps... see if yours does!!
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    Some Mexican restaurants can do vegetable fajitas as well. I'll usually do one "taco" with the filling and then give the other tortillas to whoever I am with. Taco salads are good, too, and you can use salsa as your dressing.

I also always figure out how many chips I can have before I leave for the restaurant. Then I count those out and don't eat any more. Sit by some good friends who know you're eating healthy and ask them to move the basket away from you!
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    rice -- mix in salsa, and if you feel like splurging, a little guac. call ahead and ask if they can steam some veg or have plain boiled beans to incorporate into your rice. many places accommodate, and talking to them beforehand saves you having to try and figure it all out during the birthday celebrations at the restaurant! :)
  • candy102389
    Options
    If they offer pozole I would get that. Its like a stew very yummy and satisfying with one bowl. If they offer veggies in it I would ask for morextra veggies hold on the "maiz"(corn)
  • Muffiewilmes
    Muffiewilmes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I just did this last night and would have done fine if I didn't get into the margaritas. :drinker: I do better not starting on the chips. Eat a banana on the the way over so you are not starving when you get there. I had some shrimp tacos made that were the bomb!!! A few grilled shrimp, lettuce, and pico. Then added a small amout of gauc. Very tasty!!! It was a higher calorie meal than I usually do but tried to compensate with lighter snacks and meals yesterday. I was able to ball park the tacos at 330 a piece.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught. Public indecency is a big fine.
  • sandy0424
    Options
    I know this is about eating OUT at a Mexican Restaurant, but i just have to share a low cal guac recipe i just saw on food network.com.......hope you all enjoy!

Ingredients

1 (15-ounce) can early or young peas, drained
    1/2 cup mashed avocado (about 1 medium avocado's worth)
    1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
    4 teaspoons lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1/2 clove)
    1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more, optional
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper, plus more, optional
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon chile powder
    1/3 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
    Chopped jarred jalapenos, optional
    Serving suggestion: cut veggies

Directions

Place peas in a medium bowl and mash thoroughly with a potato masher or fork. (Or puree peas in a small blender or food processor and transfer to a medium bowl.) Add avocado, yogurt, lime juice, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 black pepper, cumin, and chile powder. Continue to mash until blended.

Stir in tomatoes, onion, and some cilantro and/or jalapenos, if using. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Enjoy!

Per serving (1/3 cup): Calories 83; Total Fat 3.5 grams; Saturated Fat 0.5 grams; Protein 3 grams; Total Carbohydrate 9 grams; Sugar: 4 grams; Fiber 4 grams; Cholesterol 0 miilligrams; Sodium 308 milligrams;
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    1) Order food
    2) Eat food

Stop acting like one meal is going to make you "fat." Friday 1/4/13 I had dinner at BD Mongolias. I had a giant 20+ ounce beer, 4 plates of stir-fry with meats, veggies and sauces, a glass of sangria, and wrapped it up with deep-fried Oreos with chocolate drizzle and ice cream. I was 201 that morning, and 205 the next morning. I laughed about it. Yesterday (do the math - 4 days later) I was 199.

Why do we say that weight loss is a "LIFE-LONG COMMITMENT"? Because the events of ONE DAY have VERY LITTLE influence.

Go have a nice dinner out. Quit making mountains out of a bowl of nachos.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There's an authentic Mexican restaurant across the street from my workplace, so I can definitely relate!

My advice:
    Don't order a jumbo margarita just because everyone else did
    Pass on the free chips and salsa
    Order your entree without sour cream

9 times out of 10, I order chicken fajitas and just eat the meat and vegetables.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I just don't go out to eat but on a "free day".
    Some of us are just WEAK!
    If we're at a nice restaurant, I want something fabulous.
    And I'll walk 5 miles afterward listening to music to offset some of it.
    For what this is worth, that is my suggestion.
    ENJOY!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi - we eat Mexican at least once a week. I have learned to bypass all of the chips, and my restaurant fixes a grilled chicken platter (about 8-10 oz) with grilled vegetables (about 2 cups) (basically a deconstructed fajita). Salsa is a great low-cal dressing.

However, I always "misc-add" about 200 calories to account for the cooking methods - not sure what oil they use and how much. In other words, there are certainly more calories in this meal than the bare ingredients suggest.

I'm not sure I concur with the "go for the guacamole" sentiment. It is very high in calories and fat, and I would reserve that for a "special" occasion.

Also, about 1/2 -1 cup of Mexican rice should be about 200 - 400 calories --- not to bad if you can't resist.

Good luck,

A birthday party *is* a special occasion. Derp.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Living here in New Mexico and having such restaraunts on just about every corner I can attest to the difficulty here...actually, it's a bit worse because I'm actually dealing with authentic New Mexican cuisine which is even worse than authentic Mexican. Actually, authentic Mexican can be rather healthy and nutritious...it's mostly the Americanized versions of Mexican that make it so high calorie and high fat. Here's what I do...because I have to have my fix every couple of weeks...couldn't ever give it up, especially living where I am:

1.) Take it easy on the chips and salsa...just because they're unlimited doesn't mean you have to eat a whole basket of chips and a jar of salsa. I usually get a small plate or I use my napkin and give myself a serving and that's all I get...no reaching for the basket.

2.) Ask for a to go box from the get go and put half of your food in it...the remainder on your plate is lunch/dinner...whatever

3.) Look for menu options that aren't smothered in sauce and cheese (or get those items on the side). Fajitas are my go to here. Also, inquire as to what they use when making tortillas...a lot of NM restaurants here make their own tortillas and being authentic, they use straight up lard. Skip the desert sopapillas.

Doing the above, I can generally cut a 1,000-1,200 calorie meal by half and I'm not overly stuffed, which always makes me feel disgusting and tired on top of it. Every once in awhile I like to really go to town at my favorite NM restaurant, but I pretty much plan my day around it...usually means very light (and clean) meals the rest of the day and I forgo my usual snacks (which are generally very healthy, but just no room for the calories).
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    2 chicken enchiladas and a few chips with salsa. done! lol now I want mexican! lol
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    One lunch out every now and then won't harm you. If you typically bow out of them enjoy this one. Easy Peasy.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can, make the best choices possible, log the best you can, then relax, it's one meal of one day. Enjoy, I love mexican!:drinker:
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    La Senorita has nutritional information on their website.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with those who'll just eat whatever they feel like. I don't often get to have Mexican food and I don't like the idea of ordering something I'm not going to like as much as what I really want just because it's lower in calories.

If you must order something smaller/lower in calories, some places actually have their low calorie menus. Fish is always a good bet. Avoid toppings like guac and sour cream. Limit the amount of chips and salsa you have (unless that ends up being your meal). Maybe go for one of the soups?