Which one and how often? HELP!

Options
I've recently joined a gym that provides evening classes, which is perfect because I get out of work at 5:00pm Monday - Friday.

I just checked there schedule, and I have enough time to either do Zumba three days a week, and 2 days of strenght/weight training
OR 3 days of strenght/weight training and 2 days of Zumba. Plan to rest on Saturday and Sundays...

I have about 35lbs - 40lbs to lose, but of course want to tone up as well. Both classes interlap each other, so I'm able to do 1 a day Mon-Fri. What would be the best way to go for best results?

BTW - the Zumba is 1 hour long and the Strenght training class is 1 - 1/2 hours long.

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i would focus on cardio until you get to your goal weight (so zumba 3x a week). then maybe you could alternate week to week which class you do 3x and which you do 2x
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    To be honest you almost can't go wrong here. If you are working out 5 days a week and you are alternating between cardio and weight training like you propose you will see results. That said if it were me I would suggest weight training three times a week and cardio twice a week. There really isn't a magic formula. You have to figure out what sort of program you can stick with and push yourself for constant improvement.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    3 day full body strength training. cardio optional.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

This. there is no reason to only do cardio until goal weight is hit, do a combo of strength/cardio from the start, just take it slow and be patient.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

^That
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I'm also on this bandwagon....I do strength training 3 days a week and only do cardio cause I recently found my love of running (and I need osmething to keep myself from doing too much strength training lol)
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You need a Combonation...

I would do 3 days of Zumba and 2 days of strength training. I do Zumba from time to time and you do Squats in some of the dances do there is some strength training built in.. See if they have Zumba Toning! Its a win win.

You need both cardio and strength training. Cardio will help burn the fat off and so will builidng muscles..
    Maybe one week do zumba 3 days and strenghth 2 and then reverse it the next week
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with this because depending on the intensity of your weight lifting class you could really burn some calories and keep your heart rate levels up during the entire time. Keeping your heart rate level in the "FAT Burning" zone is what i would think that you would want (its what i want.) You get the best of both worlds because your toning at the same time. So.....I would strength train 3x and Zumba 2x. More muscle fibers means more fat is being burned. Cardio has a tendency to work muscle fibers down a bit.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options

I agree with this
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'd strength train 3X and Zumba 2X. If you're having issues with recovering fast enough, you can do it the other way around, but definitely try to get as much weight lifting in as possible. You'll be a lot happier with your body a lot sooner.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Strength 3 Cardio 2
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    Another option you can do if you will consider is do Max Interval Training. I did lose a lot of weight and tone up at the same time, two birds in one stone :) I started with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred to assess my fitness level and I knew I was ready so I started Insanity and still doing it the second time around :) best of luck whatever you decide to do that will allow a long term result and enjoy it as well.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    i would focus on cardio until you get to your goal weight

EXTREMELY BAD ADVICE

The reason this is bad advice is because you want to start weight training as soon as possible because the muscle you build will burn more calories even while you're at rest (chilling on the couch or asleep) than the lack of muscle will.

I would do the strength 3x a week and Zumba 2x a week routine. Very very good routine!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    i would focus on cardio until you get to your goal weight (so zumba 3x a week). then maybe you could alternate week to week which class you do 3x and which you do 2x

Bad idea to just do cardio until you get to your goal weight. Really bad idea.

I'd do the 3x strength training weekly, myself.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You need a Combonation...

I would do 3 days of Zumba and 2 days of strength training. I do Zumba from time to time and you do Squats in some of the dances do there is some strength training built in.. See if they have Zumba Toning! Its a win win.

You need both cardio and strength training. Cardio will help burn the fat off and so will builidng muscles..
    Maybe one week do zumba 3 days and strenghth 2 and then reverse it the next week

No, you don't
  • cellefson
    Options
    Regardless of which option you choose, I recommend including both cardio and strength training as part of your workout regimen. Doing only cardio will help you achieve the weight loss you desire (and is obviously great for your heart health), but you will lose both fat and lean (muscle) weight. Incorporating strength training will help you maintain or increase your lean weight while burning fat.
    Bottom line, both are important to a healthy and successful fitness plan. Don't focus so much on weight loss but on inches lost and decreased BMI.
    Good luck on your journey!!!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've recently joined a gym that provides evening classes, which is perfect because I get out of work at 5:00pm Monday - Friday.

I just checked there schedule, and I have enough time to either do Zumba three days a week, and 2 days of strenght/weight training
    OR 3 days of strenght/weight training and 2 days of Zumba. Plan to rest on Saturday and Sundays...

I have about 35lbs - 40lbs to lose, but of course want to tone up as well. Both classes interlap each other, so I'm able to do 1 a day Mon-Fri. What would be the best way to go for best results?

BTW - the Zumba is 1 hour long and the Strenght training class is 1 - 1/2 hours long.

I do 2 days of Zumba and 3 days of weights
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Doing only cardio is absolutely WRONG and very bad advice, as pointed out above. You need to strength train to maintain as much lean body mass (muscle, etc.) as you can so that the majority of what you lose is fat. If you lose muscle now, it will be much more difficult to build it when you have lost the weight and realize your body is still not tight. You will have to eat more than maintenance to bulk up and actually add the muscle, instead of preserving what you have.

That said, make sure that the 3x strength training would give you a full 48 hours (or close) in between sessions. You need that rest day in between to let the muscles recover (unless you are working completely different body parts, but that is very unlikely, especially in a class).
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    OP, how much have you been exercising in the past few months? If you haven't really done a lot, 5 days a week of working out may be too much to start with.

I would suggest only 3 days a week to start (alternate 2 strength, 1 cardio in a week with 2 cardio, 1 strength the next week). After a few months, add another day and go from there. You don't want to burn out by overdoing it.

Good Luck!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Try a few classes, see which you enjoy and take it from there. All exercise will benefit you in trying to lose weight.