Not losing weight, any advice?

Options
Soo i have been trying to lose 6 more lbs to reach my goal weight so i upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 to lose 0.5 lbs a week i am 20 years old weigh 131 and am 5' 3" I have been doing this for about 4 or 3 weeks now and i weighed myself this morning and i weigh the same as when i started still 131 i would like to get down to 125. I don't know what I'm doing wrong i walk for an hour everyday and try to eat under my calorie goal as well. If anyone has any advice for me that would be really helpful. I feel like maybe i should just give up and eat this many calories to maintain my weight i don't know what to do please help.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    try actually doing real exercise - red faced sweaty cant breathe dying on the floor freaking exercise.

dont be mad at the results youre not getting from the work youre not doing.

walking wont get you a badass body.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    try actually doing real exercise - red faced sweaty cant breathe dying on the floor freaking exercise.

drop-mic.gif
  • yoovie
    Options
    gotta love a gif so clear it doesnt even need subtitles.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options

This! Really! At 135... and only 6 lbs from your goal... you are really gonna have to work for it!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

yjql5_zps40c32385.gif
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

Was all ready to come in and offer my advice and low and behold! Yoovie beat me to it!

And it didn't come on over night so why would it come off in that time.
  • boswellheather
    boswellheather Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree that working out harder would make a big difference also think about setting an nsv goal (no scale victory) sometimes u lose size before weight. Also I would suggest paying closer attention to the quality of food u are eating in addition to the quantity, it really makes a difference. I hope i could help, good luck!
  • hoops1888
    hoops1888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Use the cross trainer (at the gym) or start running! You are better doing something more intense than walking, you burn waaaay more calories. That could be the key for you!

Good luck :)
  • jdim1093
    jdim1093 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    A month with no loss is nothing...regardless of where on your journey you are. You can try increasing activity and develop some muscle tone, or you can just keep at it a bit longer. I'm still 40 pounds from my goal, but over the past 12 months, I have had at least three "plateaus" of 2-4 weeks. I'm a daily weigher, and I have the data to prove it!

Keep pushing. You'll get there. Remind yourself how far you've come. Look at some before/after pictures.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

drop-mic.gif

\m/
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

And I would suggest getting all red faced sweaty cant breathe dying on the floor because of some heavy lifting and some crazy metcons.
  • yoovie
    Options
    ^
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    They are all right, you need to increase your exercise and include weights. I know from experience that the xtrainer doubles the calories I burn while walking at 6klms on a treadmill which is elevated, so I tend to use the xtrainer much more. Also if you increase your muscle mass with weights you will increase your metabolism.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Crikey, I can't believe nobody has chipped in with the MFP forums motto yet:

You need to weigh your food.

I see lots of entries of cups for things like cereal in your diary. I've seen at least one entry that just says 'one portion' too. Those aren't at all accurate.

At the end of the day your diary may say you've come in under your calorie goal. But without accurate measurements, you can't know exactly how many calories you are eating. And that's ok for those of us with tens or hundreds of pounds to lose. But if you are down to the last few pounds, one or two hundred 'invisible' extra calories - which is entirely possible without using a food scale - could be the difference between losing and maintaining.

Read this post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

Apply those rules for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    This post is over 2 years old
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Am I getting 8+ hours of good sleep nightly comes at the top of the list when not losing weight?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    By what though process, or inference of non-logic does one go from not losing weight to *adding even more calories* in a backwards attempt to make things work?

<boggle>

There is a basic, fundamental misunderstanding going on here.

HINT: because you are not losing, you are eating too many calories. Since any reasonable healthy adult human would be losing on 1200 ... you are not eating the 1200 you think you are. You are eating more than you think, and you are definitely eating too many to lose weight. Adding more will make it worse.