What bread is best?

Options
Bread is one of the main foods in my diet, I'm trying to cut it down and change the bread I eat to a healthier version but every time I'm in the bread section of Tesco there's just so much choice I have no idea where to look for the healthier ones! What's the healthier breads out there?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Which is "healthier" for you would depend on what else you are eating, but I think a good rule of thumb is to look for wholemeal bread that has at least 5 grams of fiber per slice (or per bun) and not a lot of sugar.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you are not on a low carb diet, good ole white bread is fine. If you are on low carb and want something that is filling for a long time, a dense (just poke at the loaf) whole grain bread is excellent and very high in fiber.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you are not on a low carb diet, good ole white bread is fine. If you are on low carb and want something that is filling for a long time, a dense (just poke at the loaf) whole grain bread is excellent and very high in fiber.

Poke at the loaf? Why not read the ingredients and nutrition label? Whole grains have more nutrition than processed white bread, so without knowing other aspects of one's diet it's best to stick to a bread that has a whole grain as the first ingredient.
  • jdooks
    Options

Poke at the loaf? Why not read the ingredients and nutrition label? Whole grains have more nutrition than processed white bread, so without knowing other aspects of one's diet it's best to stick to a bread that has a whole grain as the first ingredient.

Definitely read the label, but I've found that the denser breads tend to keep me full longer. You'll also find, from experience, unless the supermarket only carries stale bread, the denser loafs also tend to be the cleaner breads they carry. The softer breads tends to be higher in carbs.

I mean, the next time you go to the supermarket, give them the poke test along with reading the label. Unless it's just stale bread, you'll find that the denser ones tend to be the healthier ones.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for lower calorie bread, Sara Lee makes a wheat bread that is only 90 calories for two slices.
  • jdooks
    Options
    Just to add to the poking of loafs of bread, I also slap watermelons as the ones that produces a louder sound tend to be juicier and tastier :)
  • Jenbeanz
    Options
    Hovis Nimble is a good bread, only 51kcal per slice . . . and it is tasty!! :)
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Sara Lee 45 Calories & Delightful 100% Multigrain Bread? 2 slices per serving has 90 cal, 1g fat, 19g carb, and 6g protein.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    you can make your own but im not sure of the exact cals in it. I like Artisan Bread In 5 Minutes A Day.