Not losing.

Options
I lost 9 lbs before the holidays on MFP. Wasn't exercising much at the time and gained some back during the holidays. Now I'm back on it and have been exercising an hour a day eating anywhere from 1200-1600 cals a day....and I've gained two pounds, but lost 2 inches. When am I gonna see the scale move in the right direction again? I know I should probably reduce my exercising to 4-5 days a week and possibly eat more on those days but what other advice can y'all give me?

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If you've lost the inches..does it really matter what the scale says?
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Exactly, why do you care about the scale if you've lost inches?
  • sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    uhhhm, because I DO! I love that I've lost inches, but I really want to hit 199 and I am sooooooo close it's killing me.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You are looking to lose 73 pounds and only eat 1200-1600 calories a day! That is the reason why you are gaining....your body is starving and hanging onto every single calorie it can. Get your BMR calculated and start properly fueling your body. Your heart, lungs and brain need nutrients to function, stop starving yourself. It is great that you are losing inches but you are also losing muscle, something you don't want to do. Up your calories to somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE and you will lose weight and be healthier.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You just restarted working out, it's water retention. If you are consistently working out (don't workout more than 6 days a week as it's unhealthy and doesn't allow yoru body to recover) then you be consistently eating enough to fuel your body. Why don't you try to hit 1600-1800 calories every day, adjust macro's to around 40/40/20 c/p/f. Also, what is your workout schedule.
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    For me weight loss seems to happen in chunks so for instance i can loose nothing for 10 days then loose 7 pounds in the next 5
    Everyone is different though
    As long as the inches are coming down you are moving in the right direction and just keep at it and the scales will eventually show it
    Ignore anyone who starts giving you into trouble for not eating enough (i'm not a advocate of low cal diets but it works for me even when exercising)
    :wink:
  • sylvabelle89
    Options
    Really? I'm starving myself....yet I never go hungry.

I had a friend in high school who dropped 175lbs keeping her calorie intake around 1400 & fat around 40 a day. Exercised every day.

Now tell me again, how am I starving myself at 1600 a day.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If you are obsessing only over a number and getting that frustrated, but don't see the larger victories(inches), then it is a YOU problem.....
  • sylvabelle89
    Options
    YES I am concerned about the numbers I'm working really hard towards losing. NO I'm not OBSESSED with it. NO I'm not starving myself. What works for you may not work for me. There is no black and white in weight loss. I thought I could find some support and encouraging words here , yet all I got was hateful comments from the majority of the responders. Guess I was sadly mistaken.
  • sylvabelle89
    Options
    Pardon my last comment, I am very appreciative for those who took the initiative to say some kind and motivating words. That is what I needed to hear.
  • Freedom125
    Freedom125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's all in perception, I guess. I didn't see the responses above as rude, many are just trying to offer a different perspective.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    this is a math issue 5nook; you're eating in a good range & have a good exercise schedule. overtime you're regime will lose good weight for you, stick at and stop getting on the scales, your clothes are the best results checker :-)
  • psuLemon
    Options

I had a friend in high school who dropped 175lbs keeping her calorie intake around 1400 & fat around 40 a day. Exercised every day.

You do realize that hunger is an adaptive signal that can be suppressed over time when you eat less?

Look, it's obvious what you are doing is failing, so if you aren't willing to try something new based on our suggestion, then why both asking a question? I am not trying to be rude, but it's a legitimate question.

It seems pretty unanimous that we are suggesting to eat more. So why not try that for a month?
  • sylvabelle89
    Options

You do realize that hunger is an adaptive signal that can be suppressed over time when you eat less?

Look, it's obvious what you are doing is failing, so if you aren't willing to try something new based on our suggestion, then why both asking a question? I am not trying to be rude, but it's a legitimate question.

It seems pretty unanimous that we are suggesting to eat more. So why not try that for a month?

Was not referring to you. I am willing to take advice, thanks yours was helpful. It's only been a week since I got back on track anyway... believe me if I could delete this post entirely I would.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    YES I am concerned about the numbers I'm working really hard towards losing. NO I'm not OBSESSED with it. NO I'm not starving myself. What works for you may not work for me. There is no black and white in weight loss. I thought I could find some support and encouraging words here, yet all I got was hateful comments from the majority of the responders. Guess I was sadly mistaken.

You asked for advice, and then get mad if it is contrary to what YOU think the solution is? Really....And if a number on the scale means more to you than inches lost, you still need to learn a lot- try and listen and (maybe) learn something from others instead of throwing your toys out of the crib because nobody tells you to eat less and workout more.....
  • psuLemon
    Options

Was not referring to you. I am willing to take advice, thanks yours was helpful. It's only been a week since I got back on track anyway... believe me if I could delete this post entirely I would.

Oh I know, i was just answering for the collective group, :drinker:
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    YES I am concerned about the numbers I'm working really hard towards losing. NO I'm not OBSESSED with it. NO I'm not starving myself. What works for you may not work for me. There is no black and white in weight loss. I thought I could find some support and encouraging words here, yet all I got was hateful comments from the majority of the responders. Guess I was sadly mistaken.

You asked for advice, and then get mad if it is contrary to what YOU think the solution is? Really....And if a number on the scale means more to you than inches lost, you still need to learn a lot- try and listen and (maybe) learn something from others instead of throwing your toys out of the crib because nobody tells you to eat less and workout more.....

364j0j.jpg
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    So you would rather weigh less on that mechanical device than actually become smaller and fitter? I guess I am confused.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    5nook, have you thought about the fact that you've lost inches, yet gained 2 lbs, that just MAYBE you've gained some muscle? If you're doing the right things, the scale WILL move in the direction you desire, especially if youre building muscle. Fuel your body properly, and let it do its thing.
  • sylvabelle89
    Options
    good grief. I don't think some of yal are getting what I'm saying!!!
    Yes, LOVE the inches lost. I was so happy to see that.

Yes, I was still bummed that I had gained.

All I asked in my original post was an approximate time when the scale should be moving if I keep following all the MFP guidelines.
    That's all, I don't understand how anyone can get out of this that I'm starving myself, obsessed with my weight, or unhappy with my inches lost...

completely baffled at the ruckus this has caused.