Have you thrown out your teflon pans?

Options
124»

Replies

• tjhstjhs
    tjhstjhs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a forever cast iron guy. It takes some getting used to but it should be as non-stick as you can get. 1. you never put it on a hot stove (on "high")...you gotta warm it up gradually. 2. you don't need the high setting because it will get hotter than your other pans anyway. 3. if you have food that sticks splash a little water in and scrape with a spatula and the food jumps into the garbage. (a little water won't hurt your seasoning if it's done quickly). 4. tha pans will last longer than you will!
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Alum and water is good for cleaning stainless, BarKeepers is also good.

Heat cast up at lower temps first before using. Cast holds and builds heat well so though your stove may say "Med" the longer you take cooking the pan temp will actually increase above that temp.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    Alum and water is good for cleaning stainless, BarKeepers is also good.

Heat cast up at lower temps first before using. Cast holds and builds heat well so though your stove may say "Med" the longer you take cooking the pan temp will actually increase above that temp.

You explained this a lot better than I did.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i prefer my animals cooked over an open fire and eaten with my bare hands and teeth.

Its why I have ten fingers, a lighter and pointy teeth
  • mnrooney06
    Options
    No
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have my teflon pans still....I've been wanting a nice set of stainless though
    I used my sister's one day and I swear the food tastes better
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Santa Claus, I'm in the process of transitioning over to cast iron. No more teflon type coatings for us.
  • Jory2pointOh
    Options
    I haven't gotten rid of my pans yet, but I did buy an Orgreenic Pan.. so far so good. As long as you season it first, it doesn't burn the pan or anything.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    i prefer my animals cooked over an open fire and eaten with my bare hands and teeth.

your lighter causes cancer. you really should invest in 2 sticks...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

your lighter causes cancer. you really should invest in 2 sticks...

sht
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Teflon fumes have been known to kill birds.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2874

I do like cast iron but find that its so hard to regulate temps. I often end up burning my food. Any advice?

This happens the longer you cook in cast iron. I experience it when I make crepes. The last ones are harder to make without burning. Consequently, I keep turning the heat down as I cook, and may take a break from cooking to let the pan cool a bit.

I agree this is a down side to cast iron. But, an upside is that cooking, particularly acidic foods, in cast iron gives you some additional dietary iron.

Thank you I'll try that my grilled cheese also thanks you
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I have one small skillet for eggs with a non-stick coating. As soon as it scratches, I buy a new one. I dunno if it's paranoia or not.

The rest of my pans are Revere Ware. The. Best. Ever.

I've had them for twenty five years, my mother had them all her life. They are really easy to clean...still stick a tiny bit, but, meh.

I still have Teflon pans. I have nothing against them, but the surface has been scratching off of them (it's T-Fal), and once I start finding it in food, the pan gets tossed in the trash. My mom had stainless steel Revere Ware that she and my dad got when they got married in 1969. My parents had bought all-new Calphalon stuff (must be nice), so she offered me her entire set of Revere Ware pots and pans. I use those now. As long as you (1) use something like Pam on the pan and (2) don't let anything sit and burn, they're pretty easy to clean, and if something does get stuck, using a Brillo pad is totally acceptable.

Revere Ware never dies!
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    As a bird owner, I have never used Teflon. High quality stainless steele cookware does not stick too badly.

I use a small amount of coconut oil or olive oil when necessary.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any in years. I do all of my cooking in stainless steel or cast iron.

Same here. And there's nothing wrong with using a little olive oil and/or butter ;)