suggestions needed

Options
Just had it confirmed that I will be needing to have my hip replaced (currently have bone on bone).
Not a major surprise, but not the most welcomed news.
I would like to take off at least 10 pounds to make recovery a little easier.
I am not a swimmer, and the doc recommended "non impact" activities to continue working the joint.
I use a bicycle during the summer and stationary during the winter. I use the eliptical as well.
Other suggestions?
I stretch and do light weights.

Thank you!

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Focus on diet and decreasing calories and overall weight training--going into a surgery strong helps decrease the recovery time normally. Can you go in for some pre-op Physical Therapy to ensure you are doing exercises that aren't contraindicated for your condition??
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    The surgeon just suggested "keep doing what you've been doing". (low impact)
    My last go round with PT cost me $600.00 and some exercises that were too light/easy.

I'm doing a "higher" protein diet, Greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese.... that helped take off some pounds - it's the moving that gets to be challenging. It's hard to get the heart rate up when you are limping at a speedy 2.3mph! :smile:
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It's going to be your strength and not weight that will make recovery easier so I would focus on weight training and just keep an overall healthy diet. If they have not specifically said to avoid certain exercises, I would do an overall strength program and increase strength in your hips, butt, legs and back. Use machines like leg press, ham curls and such instead of weight bearing squats/lunges and such if you can