How to become a jogger?

Options
How does one become a jogger/runner? When I try it my legs feel like lead and I can't jog/run for long periods of time. And do you drink water before you go or bring a bottle along? How have others built up their endurance?

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    make sure you streach out your legs before going especially your calfs. Mine get supper tight if I don't streach them. Then start by doing intervals, walk for 5 mins jog for 1-2 mins and build up from there.
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    I used to say I ran ony when chased and not really then just a shuffle. Tomorrow I will be running my first race...6K. I started in January. In four months I have gone form not being able to run for 90 seconds without dying to running for a full 50 minutes non stop-even up hill!

I started with the Couch 2 5K program. Google it and you can just print the program off. It starts you in intervals that change each week. I was told by my B-I-L and S-I-L that to go slow and push through becase the aches and tiredness pass. Which they do!

Good Luck!
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    There's a great program that I've seen a lot of other posters mention here called c25k (or something like that). I'm slowly building up my endurance to be a jogger, and basically, I just started by walking fast and then adding a minute or two of jogging. I go very slow, probably about 5mph. And I started out just going until I felt like I had to stop, which was usually after a couple of minutes and just built up from there. So I would walk for several minutes, then jog for a minute or two. The treadmill is easier than outside for sure and easier to track time and speed. nothing really too scientific with my approach

I think the key is to start slow and listen to your body. I found that a lot of the structured training schedules were too aggressive for me. After a little over 2 months, I have gotten to the point where I can easily jog a mile straight on the treadmill and probably could do far more if I pushed myself. And when I walk/jog outside, I spend about 1/3-1/2 of my time jogging in anywhere from 2-10 minute spurts.

Good luck. It feels really good once you get going!
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I walked for a great period of time before I attempted to jog/run. Check runnersworld.com for great advice & realistic training plans.
    Hydration is extremely important and their are many variables as to when & how much water to bring along. It has taken me almost 4 years to get endurance in check. What and why you chose to run is personal...runnersworld.com will help. As I have stated previously - you would not go to dry cleaners for a pedicure would you?.....runnersworld.com
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Just start slow, don't try to run it all at once. And jog slower than you feel like you should be jogging (ie. this does not have to be a sprint), and you can last longer! Check out this article:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Start-Running-Today.htm

Good Luck! Ashley
  • SilviaGG
    SilviaGG Posts: 19
    Options
    Get a free program from internet. You can begin walking-running-walking minutes, try walking 5, running 5 at a low pace, then 5 walking.... distance recommended 3 mile.... for this distance you don't need to drink water until you finish.... don't forget to stretch.
    If you drink water before doing your walking you will probably need to go to the restroom so drink half an hour before you leave your house. Keep this way like 2 months and when you feel comfortable go changing time for each walk,run,walk. You will be running 3 mile very soon....
    Sil
  • rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Options
    I used to say I ran ony when chased and not really then just a shuffle. Tomorrow I will be running my first race...6K. I started in January. In four months I have gone form not being able to run for 90 seconds without dying to running for a full 50 minutes non stop-even up hill!

I started with the Couch 2 5K program. Google it and you can just print the program off. It starts you in intervals that change each week. I was told by my B-I-L and S-I-L that to go slow and push through becase the aches and tiredness pass. Which they do!

Good Luck!

WOW! That's great! Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!
  • rskidmore
    Options
    The C25K program sounds great! :) I'm going to look into it. I like the treadmill better than outside, but the only thing I have to look at is a tv (at the gym) and I'd really like some scenery. :)
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am far from being considered a 'runner' myself, but here's what has worked for me: When I started, I just went as far as I could. (At first, that wasn't much further than just to the end of the block.) I jogged that distance for three days/runs. Then, I went one block further, and did that for three days/runs. It didn't take long to increase that distance and to feel comfortable with it. I always just try to do MY best on any particular day. Sometimes its further, sometimes it's faster, other times... not so much. :-) But, that's the best thing about running -- the only person you ever really need to compete against or prove anything to is yourself. So, just start with whatever you can do, and go from there. Good luck, and happy running!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough good things about the Couch to 5K program. I used to hate running, now I count on it as my "alone time" in my busy schedule.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Run a little - walk a little - run a little - walk a little. Repeat as necessary and don't push yourself to the point that you dread your workout.

As you progress you'll find yourself walking less and less until you rarely feel the need to walk at all.
  • rskidmore
    Options
    I feel like I am far from being considered a 'runner' myself, but here's what has worked for me: When I started, I just went as far as I could. (At first, that wasn't much further than just to the end of the block.) I jogged that distance for three days/runs. Then, I went one block further, and did that for three days/runs. It didn't take long to increase that distance and to feel comfortable with it. I always just try to do MY best on any particular day. Sometimes its further, sometimes it's faster, other times... not so much. :-) But, that's the best thing about running -- the only person you ever really need to compete against or prove anything to is yourself. So, just start with whatever you can do, and go from there. Good luck, and happy running!

I like your jogging blocks idea. That would certainly make it attainable as you can usually see to the next block so you can see your end point. :)
  • chacalit
    chacalit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am googling it now! I know I will not loose all my weight and keep it off unless I start jogging or at least during the warm months.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This is a brilliant forum post that will pretty much cover off most questions a person new to running would want to ask

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 320+ lbs. Today the wind is blowing, the rain is falling and it's cold outside. Today I started week 5 of Couch to 5K. I'm loving it so far and after many attempts to begin this programme this is the farthest I've ever got into the programme.

I'm dreading getting to the 9th week because I'll be at a loss to what to do. May be I need a few 5K races to do then start the bridge to 10k programme!

It's so nice and no matter how hard I find it, the feeling I get after a run is so immense it's worth the pain/exhaustion .... in fact the exhaustion has subsided I feel much better now after a run than I did at week 1.

The thing I've learned is ... whilst I can run faster than I do, I don't because I want to complete the WHOLE run for the day without stopping. I promise myself that I will work on getting faster after I finish week 9. I also do some of my runs on the treadmill varying my gradients.

I do 3 C25k runs per week (as I'm supposed to) but on 'rest days' I sometimes will repeat week 1 or week 2 on a treadmill, but do so on a high gradient and faster speed so as to increase my fitness. If that makes any sort of sense!

Cheers.