Energy for working out

Options
Hi, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

I like to work out before work in the morning, and I know big meals aren't good before a workout, but at the same time, since it is first thing in the morning, I don't have much to work with going on an empty stomach. I tried eating just a hard boiled egg, but I'm fatiguing really quickly. Maybe I'm just out of shape, I don't know. Would drinking a whey protein drink like Vega One help? I would drink it about an hour before getting to the gym (on the train on the way to the gym).

I don't think I need the extra protein. I'm just looking for a way of getting some energy to get me through a work out. I can power through cardio on an empty stomach, it is the lifting that I struggle with.

Just some numbers for those number crunchers out there:
Yesterday: 1,468 calories, 166 carbs, 61 fat, 69 protein (this is pretty typical)

Thanks again for any advice!

Replies

• sarah_jones3
    Options
    Hi

I exercise in the morning, as I have chronic fatguie and find exercise sets me up for the day, my gym instructor recommended I eat a banana before my workout as one of the best foods I can eat for fuel, then a healthy breakfast post workout like porridge. (however I dont have the hour before my exercise for food due to work hours)

If you are at a gym could you ask the instructors there? if they know your exercise routine they may be able to suggest something.

Exercising on an empty stomach will result in your body using muscle to fuel the workout, so may not be the best thing.

hope this helps, :smile:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'll have a banana or protein shake and a pre workout (I use Cellucor C4- contains creatine, so you may want a different brand depending on your goals). Does the trick for this chick
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    coffee and a b12 does the trick for me
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If I do an AM workout I usually just go off something light like a spoonful of peanut butter. Too much and my stomach gets upset (usually my morning workouts are heavy on the cardio side though). I just recently tried eating a Gu before running and it worked really really really well. My energy level was great and it really energized me to get through the long run.
  • MichaelVakili
    MichaelVakili Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well it's simple ,eat something small - piece of fruit , yogurt or maybe an oatmeal . Working out on empty stomach isn't for everyone .
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everybody!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I drink a starbucks double shot right before I work out and it gets me going first thing in the morning and gives me a little sugar and cream to coat my stomach so I am not hungry.
  • capriajo
    capriajo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At least one hour before workout have a piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and have half of a banana. This will give you enough energy to fuel your workout