Tilapia or Fillet...what are my options?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I LOVE salmon, so I usually add little to it. I just dry it well, drizzle on a tiny bit of oil and maybe some garlic powder and/or black pepper and sear both sides in a really hot skillet (or on the grill).
  • sher71481
    Options
    I love Tilapia but wasn't so sure how to make it either as i am the QUEEN of fried tilapia boy o boy do i miss how good i used to make it! I made it way to salty the other day so i'm going to try some of these ideas!! Thanks everyone!
  • liya368
    liya368 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Earlier this week I grilled salmon on a Foreman Grill with sweet chili sauce. I was delicious. Can't wait to make it again.
  • Linhoyt
    Options
    :drinker: Tilapia is so thin I bake it frozen with a little non-stick butter spray on it and some honey pecan seasoning that I found in Carbelas sports store, then sprinkle some Panko crumbs on it. Cooking for one I usually cook it in my toaster oven about 20 minutesand have with a small can or package of frozen Veggies.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Earlier this week I grilled salmon on a Foreman Grill with sweet chili sauce. I was delicious. Can't wait to make it again.

Adding to dinner menu for this weekend! Awesome idea!
  • Joan_Jarabelo_Race
    Options
    First buy a griddle and spray it down with fat free olive oil cooking spray, turn up to 350 degrees, get a lid, as long as it fits over your fish it will work. Take and put on the griddle frozen, turn once when it looks like it is cooked & thawed completely and season it then and then do it again the same way once the other side looks thawed out. Put lid over from the start, you will be amazed how it tastes like it came from Red Lobster! I like the lemon pepper seasoning but you can use any you like. Plus on the griddle you can cook up your frozen veggies the same way next to your fish and get it all cooked at the same time :) Clean up is just your lid, spatula, and griddle .. Gotta <3 it!
  • uatina05
    Options
    I bake tilapia (partially thawed or frozen) in the oven for about 18 mins on 350-400 (can't remember exactly). I just add some creole and adobo (mexican seasoning mix). I put it a couple in an aluminum packet with a little spray of pam so it doesn't stick. Easy as can be!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I just thaw tilapia in warm water before cooking.

over medium heat, sprinkle lemon herb seasoning on pan and place the tilapias on the pan and sprinkle more seasoning on top. cook for a min or two and flip over. I use a little lemon juice at this time.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I bake, broil or grill my fish until done. I season everything with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I just made this topping for my salmon but it would work just as well with tilapia: (amounts are per person--this is for one serving) 2 tsp olive oil, 10 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved ( I like to mix red and yellow for color), 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp capers, about 4-5 kalamata olives diced, chiffonade of basil (about 3-4 leaves).

In saucepan or saute pan heat oil. Soften garlic and add tomatoes. Cook tomatoes until soft, about 3 minutes Mash with the back of a spoon or spatula. Add capers and olives. Cook about 1 minute. Add basil and cook 30 seconds more. S&P to taste. Serve on top of fisth with a side of brown rice.
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    Salmon: combine a tbsp. of lite mayo (I use Miracle Whip) with fresh dill, a squeeze of fresh lemon, salt and pepper. Spread over salmon fillet and bake in oven for about 10 minutes at 425F. 1 serving.

Tilapia: combine 1/2 tbsp. honey, 1 small jalapeño, 1/4 cup any BBQ sauce - heat in microwavable bowl. Pan fry the salt and pepper seasoned tilapia until cooked through. Enough glaze for 2 servings.

Both of these are delicious and I make them often...great go-to recipes!

Enjoy!
    *Makes notes*
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    I usually pan fry it with a bit of Smart Balance, some pepper, salt, and lemon juice. Simple and my 5 year old loves it. SCORE! :bigsmile:
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Great ideas for cooking both Tilapia and Salmon!
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Whatever i fish i cook, I use my forman. I lay down a piece of foil, (on bottom) the frozen piece of fish sprayed with pam then seasonings another piece of foil on top and grill. After dinnerIi just throw the foil away. No clean up. My personal favorite is talapia .
  • mcurrie62
    mcurrie62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cedar planked salmon on the grill. You will need to soak the cedar planks for an hour. Baste the salmon with a little evvo use your favorite seasonings. Place on the plank & grill 15-20 min. Time consuming but worth it.
  • Imjeri2
    Options
    We grill tilapia with some fat free balsamic vinaigrette , mrs. Dash, and whatever spices you like. My husband likes more so he does them in individual foil packets. Really moist and very good.
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We have tilapia regularly. I used to coat with cornmeal and fry, now I either pan fry with a little olive oil and various seasonings, or cook it on my George Foreman grill. We did the grill thing earlier this week, and it was awesome. I just spray the grill with Pam and cook it for about 4 minutes. We had Uncle Ben's brown rice w/quinoa and some frozen mixed veggies steamed in the microwave.
    It was all very good.