What if you're just average??

Options
2»

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Think of all the money you will save over the years of beinghealthy vs bieng sick. People who workout stay healthier in general. And weather or not yo have alot of wiehgt to lose, everyone needs help.

You are welcome to add me as a frioend if you want.

P.S. I was never bullied and have been through the same things alot of people have been through also.

I just got compfortable over the years of being married and just let myself go.

Now for me it is a journey back to good health.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to put in the time, lack of effort, and focus it takes to put on enough weight to account for two people, well I guess you are just stuck with average

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    beingawesome ??? if you were okay with average you would have picked a different name - go get you some Awesome!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    People who have lost big numbers eventually arrive at this same place! It is where I am, now! Yeah, I was a huge child, a 300-pound-teenager, an enormous adult. I have lost 172 pounds since August 2011. That is quite an acheivement, to be sure, but here I am, now, at 183, still officially obese, but fairly normal looking for our American society. It gets old, trying to stick to 1200 calories day after day. I started out with a health crisis, and now I have ended up in the daily grind. I have started exercising. It is hard, I have never exercised before, but it is what I need to do to get healthy! I am getting weary of cooking everything from scratch, but fast foods are out of the question for me, for health reasons. So, although I have lost huge number, I have arrived at a place of battle-fatigue, and the war isn't won yet. There is a point at which those who have lost big numbers become just average, overweight folks, too! I am trying daily affirmations to plant into my brain that I LOVE to exercise, I really AM a slender person trying to get out! We'll see if it helps!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps to set yourself goals that are not related to weight loss. Things like running a 10k or half marathon in a specific time or doing an unassisted pull-up, 50 push ups or deadlifting your body weight. Focus on these goals and being healthy for them and the weight will come off along the way

Yes this^ I've never had more than 15-20 pounds to lose and I'm here :) Occasionally there are threads that pop up for us too, so it's not just us here.

BTW, I'm not sure puking and using diet pills are "average" I've never forayed into that realm. But I'm probably significantly older than you so maybe it's more of an "average" thing now.
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    I've never actually fallen into the overweight category iv only ever got to the high end of bmi normal range, so when I started I had about 14 lbs to get back to low/mid average and 25lb to get down to my ideal weight. It's taken about a year and a half to lose 18lb and I'm still working on the final 7. (Bit of extra Christmas padding thrown into the mix (turkey sandwiches and Boursin back to back are not the ideal diet staple!)

It's basically a vanity thing - I want to be the best shape iv ever been in instead of feeling - ok- ish but never actually happy. Picking clothes to suit the body and hide the bits I don't like rather than just what I want to wear etc.

Anyhoo it's basically been an enormous pain in the *kitten* and has taken Fricking ages and will continue to take ages. The worst of it is that you have to break that ingrained emotion that not eating way you want when you want (and as much as you want ...mmmm Boursin) is somehow depriving yourself. Your not depriving yourself, this is what you have to do and how you have to eat to look the way you want.

It's tough and drawn out - you have to want it pretty bad

God iv just depressed myself - :)
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is my personal choice of refusing to be just average! And I enjoy kicking my own butt every day.. love the challenge of me vs me!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It's all down to how much you want it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'd fit that bill OP. Most definitely I was overweight and still am, but not grossly so...about 30 Lbs or thereabouts. I actually started logging food for reasons other than losing weight...namely my doc told me I really needed to take it easy on the sat fats and sodium due to my cholesterol issues and hypertension. My goal was to cure these things through diet and hopefully get off the meds...so far so good.

The interesting thing was that when I started eating more nutritious foods and exercising for my heart health, I started to lose weight naturally...just wasn't getting the calorie intake I was before. When I started noticing that, I thought...what the heck...losing a little weight would probably be beneficial to my health as well. That's right about the time I found MFP.

I'm personally feeling better than I have in years and that really motivates me. Also, I know what it feels like to be strong, lean, and fit. I was very much into sports and athletics when I was younger and through highschool...then joined the Marine Corps. Really, I just let myself go for too long. Now that I'm eating better, exercising, and losing weight...that part of my brain goes back to those days and I remember how I used to feel, and I want that again...that's my motivation.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You raise a good point. It's fantastic when people lose a dramatic amount of weight but it's applaudable to reach your goal whatever amount you have to lose. Focus on the benefits to yourself in getting into shape and losing weight. Even if you don't get as much praise from people as bigger people do, make sure you praise yourself with each milestone reached!
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think I know what you mean. I thought during my teens and 20's I was overweight and was miserable, but being within a normal weight range albeit not as slim as my friends was hardly a major problem. I managed my weight through binging and purging but so did many of my other friends (in the 70's). For me it was just every decade I seemed to be putting on more, although I would lose some and be happier and comfortable, I wasn't really pleased with myself and the weight would creep back on. Now that I am at goal weight and slimmer than just comfortable, I feel so pleased And love my new clothes, wearing them is my motivation. Shallow I know but true!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Your user name says it all. Because I want to be and feel awesome, not just average. And that's good enough motivation for me.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    dont worry about everyone else, just focus and stay true to what YOU want to achieve and strive for.!
  • mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Most human beings are never happy with themselves. So the real question is, are you HAPPY being comfortable? If so, then don't worry so much about your weight and trying to lose it. There is no goal or motive for you to do it, so why torture yourself. But if you are just lying to yourself about being comfortable and using that as an excuse to not put in the hard work, well.....
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I used to wonder about what motivated people back when I played a sport in college. Some guys had the fire and got the most out of themselves, others seemed more comfortable being average. I decided by the time they'd reached college their level of commitment had already been established.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

I did the typical stupid teen girl crap of puking and diet pills but never to an extreme

Not typical. I never did that as a teen :/
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    The question I want to ask you...HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT???

If you don't want it bad...you won't stay motivated. I needed to lose ~ 30-35 lbs for most of my married life. Then the year I was going to turn 38...I had this thought that...oh my gosh....what if I don't lose it now and I turn 40? Maybe I'll just wind up getting fatter and never be able to lose it.

I got serious! I wanted it BAD...I lost 35 lbs and 6 pant sizes (by the way; I way hoping to lose pant sizes...didn't know I'd drop 6) and I did it in 6 months; could I have done it faster? Yes...I could have, but I didn't...and that is just fine. That was 5 years ago.

Yes, I had a set back in 2010 with a lot of changes in my life, am I concerned? Not anymore, b/c I'm already back down and fit in my wardrobe easily again.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I wish I had time to quote each & everyone of you.
    I've been going through the motions just not feeling it I guess.
    Thank you everyone ... Even the "tough love comments" haha brings out my fiestiness

Ok I had an eating disorder as a teen. It has taken a long time to find balance and I definitely have.

This is really the first time I've ever tried losing weight that was completely for me.
    It was always for vanity and men honestly.
    I became a single mom in June 2008 when my daughter was 16mos old.... By choice
    From then till August 2011 I always had boyfriends or men I was talking to. Don't get it twisted though, they were never allowed over if my daughter was home. My private life was kept private even from her. A couple serious ones did meet her though. They were relationships I thought were going somewhere. After my last breakup I read the book "he's just not that into you"

Holy *kitten* I've been dating men that weren't really all that into me. I haven't dated since.
    So after 18mos (almost) of being single and now having no real desire to date, I'm at that point of what do I really want just for me? What is going to make me really happy with myself without the affirmation of a man?
    It's made me question & in a way relaxed me a lot.

I don't know what I'd look like at a healthy & fit, physically toned 130lbs bc I never have been. It's hard to wrap my brain around it even being possible.

Reading all this though, I know I would be settling by not trying.
    Guess I just had to get my thoughts out & see other similar stories.
    :-)
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    my goal is to never be average.

^