Why are brothers so mean?

Options

Replies

• dodgersprincess
    Options
    I am 36 and still live with my parents and brother (taking care of mom and Dad). My brother, at age 43, can still be a jerk. Hay he is my brother.
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cultural legacy of slavery

LOL... That's what I thought this thread was referring to until I read it.

to the OP:.... he does it because he knows it bothers you. Just learn to expect it and try to ignore it as much as possible. And when that doesn't work, learn to give it right back. (I personally like the last option the best)
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    Dudes joke around in general. Just the other day one of my clients had broken his leg and when I saw him at the gym I said "what's up gimpy?"
    My female co worker looked horrified that I said it. Then her mood changed once she saw that we were both cracking up discussing the injury. I even said "if you don't like to train legs, all you had to do was tell me!" More laughter.

I think women in general just take it a little more personal than men do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I wouldn't mind him making a joke like that. I don't know. I guess I'm just more sensitive about my stretch marks.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    your brother is a dlck.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    He's your brother. You can punch him when he says things like that.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't know! My son is mean to my daughter; I don't know why. Sometimes the things he says to her horrify me!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I'm an only child. Be thankful you have someone to fight with :drinker:
  • Sallyafe1
    Options
    Hello,:smile:
    Here's what I know for sure. He is incapable of giving you a positive compliment. You may need approval. Compliment yourself.
    Second, he is a bully, who enjoys putting anyone down due to his own insecurities.
    You are strong, beautiful and confident. If you have stretch marks, most women do, we bring life into the world,he can't.
    Don't take it personally, he is the one with a problem, not you, it is his behavior.
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    Sallyafe1
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    He's obviously not very mature. My brother would never say something like that to me (he's 33). In fact, my brother is one of my main cheerleaders.

My brother teased me mercilessly when we were kids (he's only 19 months older)...but once I started getting fit and he discovered that I can run with him when he comes to visit...he is one of my biggest supporters as well.

Depending on your relationship with your brother, maybe you can talk to him directly about how those comments made you feel. Maybe he's unaware of how mean it comes across?

Note: I only read a couple of the responses so if someone already suggested this, sorry bout that.
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thats what brothers are for!
    Mine tends to tell us sisters when we've put on weight or has lost weight.
    Hes our biggest critic but also our biggest supporter.

But in your case, you punch him and just go on about your day!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Jealousy!
    :angry:
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Brothers are like that. Hell i'm almost 28 and my brother will be 35. He still picks on me.
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    My brother is very mature for being male. He's 26 and the head nurse of the ICU he works at. I tell him it's because he had 3 sisters :) Once when we were kids, he did put his hand in his but and put it in my face. It was so gross. Usually, he was a pretty cool little brother :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Kick him in the taco.
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Boys are rough n tough, hehe. Me and my brother fought our entire childhood. We even made up our own code for curse words so we could still hate at each other if mum and dad split us up.

We try and act all mature now but it takes us about 2-3 minutes of being together before it all kicks off again. Last time we got into a bust up about archaeology LOL. Anything is fair game!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I was mean because my sister is a **tch and I would constantly have to clean up her mess with mom.

She's the main reason I never was in that big of a hurry to date.
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    My brother got me a calendar featuring "power stations of Great Britain" and a mug to match for Christmas ...

If that is not the most concise way of saying 'you have a terrible personality and are an awful human' I don't know what is
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    Thanks for all of the nice replies so far.

He just really hurt my feelings. I tend to assume people realize when they're saying something mean, but maybe he doesn't. Usually we do have a pretty good relationship. He lives with me and my boyfriend, so we hang out a lot.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My brothers were helping me move once, and refused to help me with my big TV, just because they both found it hilarious to watch me carry it up the stairs by myself!

BROTHERS ARE SO MEAN!!!! :angry: :explode:

Then I took them snowboarding and pushed them off the ski lift. No more mean brothers! Muahahahahaha!
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a brother, that way if I ever have a date again and he gets out of line my brother can kick his *kitten*.