Best opening lines of a book.

Options

Replies

• BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    "He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    sktllmdrhmzz Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." - The Gunslinger, The Dark Tower 1
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    There is a place where the sidewalk ends
    And before the street begins,
    And there the grass grows soft and white,
    And there the sun burns crimson bright,
    And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
    To cool in the peppermint wind.

Where the Sidewalk Ends - Shel Silverstein
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" A Tale of Two Cities.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    "If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book."
    -A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." - The Gunslinger, The Dark Tower 1

I opened this thread specifically to say this. You beat me ♥
    Best series ever written.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."
    I swear he must have said "if you want to know the truth" at least 300 times in this book. I never understood why Catcher in the Rye was so popular. There's no story.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    "I see . . ." said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn't hold with such nonsense."

?
    Brilliant!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    In the beginning...

this
  • Sarahsbattle
    Sarahsbattle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories. Over the main entrance the words, CENTRAL LONDON HATCHERY AND CONDITIONING CENTRE, and, in a shield, the World State's motto, COMMUNITY, IDENTITY, STABILITY.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    "Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die." ~Fight Club
  • NoxiousNoah
    Options
    When I stepped out,into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house,I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman,and a ride home.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

I opened this thread specifically to say this. You beat me ♥
    Best series ever written.

I second that... :)
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
  • Meopinionated
    Options
    "The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of falling snow on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea."

The Last Unicorn, Peter S Beagle
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.

Holes....love that book
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    "We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

shortly followed by "My attorney had taken his shirt off and was pouring beer on his chest, to facilitate the tanning process."

-Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas