Underweight with "love handles"?

Options
I've recently dropped about 15lbs in total over about 5-6 months. I rarely eat junk food (maybe one ice cream every couple of weeks) I also eat a low-carb, high protein diet. I do cardio 3-4 times a week (20 min HIIT and 40-60min very brisk walking) and I do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred daily along with 15 minutes of callanetics (not calisthenics). Right now I'm under weight at 5"9 and 115lbs with a BMI of 17. However I still have these pesky love handles and saddlebags paired with some bingo-wings. I'm a little worried about losing more weight seeing as I'm already underweight and I can see some of my bones.

I'm really confused about what to do and I was looking for some input? All answers will be appreciated!

Replies

• mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat basically
  • oongiemongie
    Options
    Sounds like loose skin to me. If so, the only answer is surgery
  • cristal762
    Options
    @oongiemongie - Defiantly not loose skin, it doesnt droop at all. it's pretty firm but it just won't budge!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting. As heavy as you can go.

Thankfully you've realized you don't need to lose anymore weight so congrats for that!
  • debdelilah
    Options
    You could try strength training...that's supposed to be a good way to improve body composition without losing more weight, and you definitely don't want to lose more if you are already underweight.

Also, you may need to accept that having body fat is part of being a woman. We're designed to have more fat than men- our hormones dictate it. We stop having periods, have brittle bones, have our hair fall out, and have other symptoms of poor health with little nutrition. We will never have 6% body fat and be healthy, even though men can be healthy at that percentage. So you may need to try to accept the fat you do have as a normal, healthy part of your body.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I honestly cannot quite comprehend how you would have any fat left on your body at 5'9 and 115 Ibs.
    When I was 126Ibs at 5'10, there was no fat to be seen.
    I am thinking this might be more down to your perception than anything else.
    I can understand someone having a little fat still at the lower end of normal weight, but not when underweight, which you are by quite a bit.
  • cristal762
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses so far! I feel like I should mention that I wasn't always "skinny fat" I was a complete twig just a few years back without even trying I looked practically starved.. but then my eating habits got bad and on came the weight
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses so far! I feel like I should mention that I wasn't always "skinny fat" I was a complete twig just a few years back without even trying I looked practically starved.. but then my eating habits got bad and on came the weight

strength and weights, the only thing that will help is building muscle. :)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Lift. Heavy. Weights.

This will help so very, very much.

Ditto on the congrats for realizing you don't have to lose more weight to get rid of the flab.

Not only will it help with that, but you will feel so good and your confidence will soar.

Enjoy!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    DYEL, bro?
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You gotta tone it up. Protein plus working out will make you more lean, also eat an adequate amount of calories to maintain (if you like the weight you're at now!)
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    Like everybody already said, toning and weight lifting could help.
    I will say that it might be the way your body is shaped. I have always had love handles, even as a child and even when I was an underweight teen. I think maybe they are just my hips..could this be you too?
  • cristal762
    Options
    darleyschroed- Definitely could be me. When I was a tiny size 0 I remember still having a bit of love handles. Not like they are now (size 2) but they were undoubtedly there

Once again thanks for everyones answers I'll start trying more strength training tomorrow!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm really trying to be supportive of everyone- guys, girls, all different shapes and sizes, because, so often we are going through much the same struggle, just in a different way. when you are close to a healthy weight it is very hard to lose, so I try to have empathy for them too.

However, apparently we are dealing wtih different definitions of having extra hips or saddle bags issues.
    I'm dealing with a 12 inch difference between the smallest part of my waist and hip measurements.
    I can understand how people of any size can need to firm up, but saddle bags is not the word for a couple of inches
    of anything.

I second the weight lifting. Do 1 rep max for all your exercises if possible.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    darleyschroed- Definitely could be me. When I was a tiny size 0 I remember still having a bit of love handles. Not like they are now (size 2) but they were undoubtedly there

Once again thanks for everyones answers I'll start trying more strength training tomorrow!

About 4 months ago, when I was about 10 pounds heavier, a friend told me it would be good for me to lose my "love handles". I was kinda sad about this and was hung up on them. But when I grab my love handles or poke them, it's all bone. So unless I remove the skin from my sides, I will always have them :/ haha
    Def do strength training though!
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This feels like sooooo long ago, but I was pretty underweight at one point, and despite that I still had some padding on my hips and upper thighs. It's just how I'm shaped. Strength training might have changed some things, but overall body shape is genetics.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and eat at a small surplus of 2-300 calories on the heavy lifting days. Put on a few pounds of muscle you will look great! On the days you don't lift eat at maintenance. Change your body composition so that you change your lean body mass to fat ratio. Give it a couple months and you will notice some changes!
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I honestly cannot quite comprehend how you would have any fat left on your body at 5'9 and 115 Ibs.
    When I was 126Ibs at 5'10, there was no fat to be seen.
    I am thinking this might be more down to your perception than anything else.
    I can understand someone having a little fat still at the lower end of normal weight, but not when underweight, which you are by quite a bit.

I'm 5'8" and 117lbs. Underweight. And I still have pinchable fat at my belly (pooch) and on my back. The belly pooch is visible in pictures, I have a side view pic up on my profile. So, it's possible! I am naturally thin and that's just where I store fat.

& to the OP I totally understand how frustrating it is. So many girls have naturally low BMIs like me but have flat stomachs naturally too! why can't it be meee I feel so awkward haha.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I second the weight lifting. Do 1 rep max for all your exercises if possible.

Nope 1 rep is not enough!! It's not enough to put on muscle!!

Lift heavy between 5-7 reps!!