Multi Vitamins?

Options
Suzmp85
Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
I'm not entirely sure if its necessary, but was thinking about it to improve on my health. I was just wondering for thoughts and/or advice on the matter. Thanks!

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend children's chewable vitamins (either Flinstones, Scooby Doo or generic). They taste great!
  • ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just started taking GNC womens active mega vitamins...They are good...big pills but not that bad to swallow
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This year I started taking multivitamins and probiotics and I gotta tell ya, I have two kids who are always getting sick (cuz kids in general are gross) and they get my husband sick too. I haven't gotten sick at all this year.
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh and I just take some random women's gummy chew vitamins from target.
  • grnqueen
    grnqueen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I recommend them, especially if you live where it is cold 1/2 the year. Maintaining a healthy level of vitamins in your body at any age will reduce pain, swelling, and even illness. Magnesium keeps your nerves healthy, and low vitamin D can cause lower back pain. I could go on, but I find vitamins very important even if you eat very healthy.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    A prenatal is a good choice for women.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It might be a good idea, since you are trying to lose weight and are presumably restricting food intake. The brand doesn't really matter.
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Even when I'm not pregnant?

Also yeah, I do have some back pain..lumbar injuries/sciatic nerve here and there...and lack of D? Never thought of that..
  • WWPaddle
    Options
    Everyone should definitely be taking vitamins. They'll provide you with all the good stuff your body needs to stay healthy and make repairs. It is important to use vitamins that your body can use though, some stuff might have certain nutrients but whatever form its in may not be usable by your body. I believe items made with fortified grains are this way? I always take vitamins made from plant sources - easily digestible and absorbable by your body. Also remember RDA values? Those are the daily allowances to prevent your body from getting a deficiency (not necessarily the amount for optimum health)! So getting above RDA is a good thing, as long as you're not taking enough to create a toxicity. Even if you are taking vitamins, make sure to eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies!!!
    Just my 2 cents

AB
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    This year I started taking multivitamins and probiotics and I gotta tell ya, I have two kids who are always getting sick (cuz kids in general are gross) and they get my husband sick too. I haven't gotten sick at all this year.

^^^ This. I got sick a lot last year which is unusual for me. Now I take a probiotic and multivitamins (I take Centrum for women) and I feel great. So far, so good with cold season this year. That and washing my hands extra when around those who are sick is helping me out.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    I take Orange Triad. Helps for joint pains, digestion, immune systems and gets all the vitamins you neeed.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I take a whole foods mutli-vitamin, a probiotic with at least 4 billion live cultures, fish oil, and calcium with vitamin D. I have not gotten sick for over a year, and feel sluggish and tired when I run out. I HIGHLY recommend them! I can talk with my husband and find out what would be best for your back. He knows quite a bit about what supplements help certain ailments. Kind of his thing..lol!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure if its necessary, but was thinking about it to improve on my health. I was just wondering for thoughts and/or advice on the matter. Thanks!

What is wrong with your health? Not aware of any scientific evidence multivitamins improve health for anyone except the malnourished, or deficient or those with absorption issues. Just eat a balanced wholefood diet then you will also get the fibre, protein, essential fatty acids and antioxidants you also need. Supplements are supposed to supplement a good diet not replace it. If you are short on vitamin D or long chain omega-3s eat more oily fish, if you are short on magnesium eat more seeds and cocoa, if you are short on calcium eat more reduced fat dairy and green veggies and so on. Oftentimes nutrients are absorbed better from real foods than pills anyway.

I used to get a respiratory tract infection (common cold) every winter without fail despite being 'apparently healthy', this year I had my first in about six or eight years. They stopped when I cleaned up my eating and worked to boost my digestive health (gut flora are part of the immune system) and, surprisingly, that continued through periods I was not eating as healthily. I did take a multi at one time but have not for most of the years I haven't had a RTI.
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Even when I'm not pregnant?

Also yeah, I do have some back pain..lumbar injuries/sciatic nerve here and there...and lack of D? Never thought of that..

Yes! Regular vitamins make me sick, no matter when I take them or what I take them with. The only ones that don't make me feel sick to my stomach are prenatal and gummy vitamins. My Dr. said it was fine to take the prenatal vitamins even though I wasn't pregnant. I was taking the prenatals for a while and then switched to Vitafusion Women's Multi and Vitafusion Calcium Gummys.
  • alasouthern
    Options
    I also take a prenatal vitamin, fish oil, magnesium, and probiotic every day. When I take them, I noticed my appetite is more controllable and my body isn't as sore after workouts. I would suggest soft gels if you can find them in your area. They're so much easier to swallow.