Oh God someone help me....

Options
I'm ADDICTED to coffee. Not the dark kind, either. I mean the creamy, sugar-filled kind. I stayed under my calories, but today I took in at least 700 calories in coffee. I make myself eat less so I can have more coffee. And when I don't drink it, I get killer migraines, like to the point where my left eye throbs. Anyone have any tips to break this awful habit?

Replies

• blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    will power :) for real if you want change bad enough you'll stop
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Damn dude...Try cutting back in steps...like maybe regular coffee with lots of sugar, instead of your sugary coffee concoctions, then regular coffee with a regular ammount of sugar.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself one coffee the way you like it every day, and every other cup has to be black or with minimal amount of creamer and sweetener. Measured so you don't cheat.

Add in teas or diet soda to help with the caffeine addiction aspect and slowly cut back.
  • kdgirard
    Options
    I am the same way, using International Delight French Vanilla - I allow myself to have one in the morning, then fill my coffee mug with either hot water or tea - I really like the Bengal Spice tea because it gives me a sense of sweet flavour...

It is a hard habit to break, but the first step is awareness, the next is finding something to replace it - make every 2nd cup a cup of hot water so you are getting fluid and no sweet, and up the water each couple of days until you are down to one or 2 cups in the day.

Good luck!
  • kthymcc
    Options
    Fat free half and half tastes great in coffee, have you tried that?
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had the expensive one to Starbucks. I had to start making my own coffee at home then I went to decaf then I dropped sugar and just used fat free hazelnut creamer the liquid and now I stay to that if I drink it at all.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think you are addicted to sugar, not coffee.......
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    The only person that can help you is yourself. Just cut back on the cream and sugar a bit or find alternatives. :)

btw I love coffee a lot too and gained a lot of weight over lots of high calorie coffee beverages from starbucks and monster :flowerforyou:
  • pcmaria2000
    Options
    Try the skinny version and use truvia or agava. Just a thought:happy:
  • mikoodles
    mikoodles Posts: 139
    Options
    yeah this is definitely something I have to do in steps. I tried stopping cold turkey and...the migraines.

teas are something I will try. Just gotta look for one I like.

Does the fat free half and half still have a lot of calories? If not its definitely worth trying. I have to see if dunkin donuts has half and half. thats where I get the coffee from.
  • jdrapersr
    jdrapersr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I going through the same I decided to cut down of caffeine so I'm having 1 cup in the morning and drinking decafe after that in a couple of weeks I'm thinking of getting the half and half coffee then I'll be cutting the caffeine even more. My body is telling me it's not happy but I need to do this and i will.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    THIS^^^ I had the same problem. You can drink the coffee black and with no sugar, and it will be only 2-5 calories per cup!
  • mikoodles
    Options

I think that's definitely part of it. I also think that maybe Im addicted to the routine, you know? like I go every morning before class, and if I don't go I feel like part of my day is missing. I'm a creature of habit I think.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Drink it black. You will either adjust or hate it so much you will quit. I love black coffee.
  • islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps and work your way to black. Took me a couple years because coffee black is an acquired taste.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Once you go black, you never go back.

in coffee!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    coffeemate french vanilla liquid
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    i too am addicted to coffee, tried to quit and my family requested i never do that again. Here's something I tried. I started with my regular whole milk and sugar coffee and every day just started adding less sugar and milk and eventually went to just a tablespoon of international delight in each cup. Still adds up but is a lot less than it was to begin with.
  • mikoodles
    Options
    Drink it black. You will either adjust or hate it so much you will quit. I love black coffee.

Last year I would only drink coffee black, and I was also 30 pounds lighter. When I moved to Boston I started drinking it the same way a few of my friends did, and I packed on the pounds.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself one coffee the way you like it every day, and every other cup has to be black or with minimal amount of creamer and sweetener. Measured so you don't cheat.

Add in teas or diet soda to help with the caffeine addiction aspect and slowly cut back.

THIS! That's how I got to the point where I don't need sugar in my coffee or latte/cappuccino/tea. And, I hate soda now. I used to drink loads of it.