PCOS Ladies

Options
124»

Replies

• StarburstSweetie
    Options
    I've been on metformin for a while. one of the things that i found with it that i have to take it with milk because i avoid most of the side affects i.e. diarrhea or stomach issues.

I just started taking the extended release and i hope it works. right now i'm only at 1000mg because i know that if i increase it i'll probably faint.

I've been looking at the Paleo diet...anyone else read about it?
  • islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Metformin helped but I am not good at taking pills. Numerous studies are touting benefits to taking metformin for various reasons, not just PCOS patients. Lef is a great foundation and they really tout metformin as one of the top things to take over vitamins even. It really can't hurt, so go for it if your doc will prescribe it.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/abstracts/feb2012_Metformin_03.htm
  • TeaBreeze
    Options
    I'm 25 and I was diagnosed with endometriosis and PCOS when I was 15/16 - I've had two surgeries to date in regards to cysts/endometrial tissue and I get an ultrasound every year because I've a family history of cancer, especially ovarian and uterine.

I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance about 4 years ago and have been on metformin for the last 3 years. My dose was recently increased from 2,000mg a day to 3,000mg a day. So I take 1,000mg with breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only time I have a side effect is if I eat something I should and my body quickly expels it.

It's a bit of trial and error as to what works for you.

My endocrinologist originally suggested I do a low carb/high protein diet, but the protein he recommended for that was mainly red meat and the fat in the red meat (even after being lean/trimmed) was still a bit high for me and I didn't see much in the way of results.

Now I stick to a high-ish protein diet (100g a day) where I focus on a little red meat and then lean white meat (turkey and pork mainly) and low-ish carb diet (less than 150g a day) and try to keep the carbs low-GI and I've recently cut out all alcohol which has been a massive help.

I've done a couple of other medications like 'Reductil' and 'Duromine' to help with the weight loss but in the end it has to come down to tweaking your diet and finding out what's going to work for you.

It can be frustrating, and I've certainly given up a handful of times, but you'll find what works for you.
  • I finally started losing weight, once I began taking 3g/day of cinnamon (a natural insulin sensitizer). Until I learned about cinnamon, I'd been killing myself in the gym every, single day, and virtully starving myself, with continued weight gain. Literally from the day I began taking a cinnamon supplement, I began losing weight (initially 2-2.5lbs/week, on average).

While I have lost over 40 of the 60 or so pounds I want to lose, it has not been completely smooth sailing. I have experienced many plateaus...most of which occur when I try a new diet or exercise plan. (e.g. I gained 2lbs doing "Insanity" and "Brazil Butt Lift".)

But, just for some solidarity, I'll let you PCOS ladies know about my recent experience, so you don't beat yourselves up too much about slow/zero weight loss.

My husband and I are currently renovating our house. We slept at a hotel for two weeks of the messiest demolition. Myself, I typically put-in 5-10hrs/day of back-breaking demo. Over the course of the two weeks, I was exhausted and had no appetite the entire time. I ate less than 500 calories most days, with some days under 100 calories, and probably no days over 1,000 calories. I didn't, however, bring my cinnamon supplements with me to the hotel and, at home, they were packed away with everything else.

So...to recap...I have PCOS and have successfully lost over 40lbs to date; I did heavy labour every day for the past two weeks; I ate next to nothing during that time (due to nausea, exhaustion, and circumstance); I didn't take my normal cinnamon supplements.

That is so great that you mentioned about the cinnamon supplements. I had read it in a few places, but have never heard much more about it from people who actually use it. I am definitely going to try it. Thanks for the reminder.
    I have asked myself the same questions about why I wasn't losing weight when I ate pretty well and exercised like a maniac.

I'm currently taking metformin,and it has helped a lot with symptoms but not weightless. Also I've never had the side effects that a lot of people complain about with this med.
  • sunmaid1985
    Options
    bump
  • TOPSrainee
    Options
    I too was diagnosed with PCOS so long ago that I don't remember exactly when it was, but it's been about 20 years. I've been on metformin for the past several years. I have a lot of stomach issues with it (not sure if it's from the metformin or IBS, though), but never lost any weight since taking it. I had a friend who said she lost 40 pounds within a couple months after starting metformin, with no additional diet or exercise. That definitely didn't happen to me, but I guess it works differently for everyone.
  • StarburstSweetie
    Options
    dumb question for those who are on metformin.

I'm on 1,000mg extended release. I notice when I take it, I don't crave sugar. However when I'm off of it I'm like WHERE IS THE SUGAR?

Anyone else notice this? Also, I have some massive headaches while I've been taking it...anyone else have these before? If so what did you do? I can't take anything but extra strength tylenol because I'm on an anti-inflammatory medication.

• I'm on 1,000mg extended release. I notice when I take it, I don't crave sugar. However when I'm off of it I'm like WHERE IS THE SUGAR?

I am also taking 1000 mg. I don't crave sugar either but carbs are my problem. What do you mean when you are off it ?? Aren't you taking it consistently???? I don't get the headaches. But i was told by my doctor to drink an excess amount of water to fix the bloating and or headaches.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
  • monteymole
    Options
    Hi everyone, iv been taking metformin slow release for a couple of months but iv not had tummy issues iv been having headaches and insomnia I know its sounds strange but I was wondering if anyone else had these effects ? Iv been on the normal metformin before and didn't get the same side effects .Iv been trying to lose weight for 12yr and never ever completed my journey I would love if any of you ladies would like to add me and give me motivation and support and in return I will do the same :) X
  • StarburstSweetie
    Options
    I also have issues with acid reflux and sometimes taking it at night sets me off. I'm on the following medications:

synthroid (in the morning)
    metformin (at night)
    anti-inflammatory (for R. Arthritis) (at night with food)
    and then I'll be taking a new R. Arthritis medication at some point within the next few weeks.
  • Paigepres
    Paigepres Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been on metformin for 3 years. I take 250 3x a day. When I started metformin I lost 10 pounds without excerising. I was always running to the washroom, nothing agreed with my stomach because I was eating the same as I was before taking the pills. I'm pretty sure those 10 pounds were mainly water weight so I ended up gaining some of it back. I used to be extremely lazy and I would get pain in my legs from a simple walk. Then I decided it was time to start making healthier choices and move my body more. I have lost 28lbs in a year and a half so my progress is slow but still something for my small 5'1 frame! I try to limit my carbs and sugar, I definitely feel like crap when I do go overboard. My excess hair is decreasing, I feel more hopeful about life in general and I try to really push myself in my workouts. Now I try to incorporate physical activity into my life every day. It's not a chore anymore. I also have noticed that if I skip a pill I get really hungry, but while on the pills it controls my appetite.

The one thing I still deal with is trying to control my mood swings. It's hard to know if it's just me as a woman being hormonal or if it has anything to do with PCOS. If someone has more information on this that'd be great!

Good luck ladies!
  • DreamSM85
    DreamSM85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. I'm one of the leaner ladies with PCOS at 5'6'' and 140lbs. I had severe acne and was put on accutane for 8 months while my PCOS was falling through the cracks because I was treating symptoms and not the problem. I was put on continuous active birth control pills since my diagnosis and have done well. Good luck to everyone trying to loose weight. I eat 5 small meals a day and stick to whole grains (total 130g carbs a day which is 40% for me). I do gain weight easily that's why i stick to this meal plan.