Anyone like me and...

Options
2»

Replies

• oneheckavagirl
    Options
    I agree with most of the others, that using the tool honestly will enhance your experience. I haven't been doing this long, but because I am tracking my food I am doing a better job of actually measuring. I have found that I fall below the 1200 cals I'm supposed to eat.. and I got a warning that eating too little will put my body into starvation mode which will cause me NOT to lose weight. Best of luck!
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    bad habits is bad
  • betsz1
    betsz1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'd be honest with yourself...that's where the true understanding of what you eat affects your weight loss. I don't know about you....but I would still know in "my head" that I hadn't eaten all that and probably feel ok with going over on something later. Bad idea...at least for me! lol :noway:
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Depending on the variance of logged vs. eaten - you could be cheating yourself out of essential nutrients. While you may lose weight a bit faster at first - you may not be getting the nutrition you need for your current body size and that can cause issues.

My best advice (and I've lost over 100 lbs doing this) is eat at the level MFP sets for you, log your food accurately (if you pre-log to make sure you'll stay within calories that's fine - just adjust after the fact).

You want to be healthy....not just lose weight.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It probably won't hurt you now, but as you get closer to a healthy weight and every calorie matters, you should really try to log more accurately. That said, I usually try to overestimate food and underestimate exercise.

Agreed. If you have to play some mental games with yourself at first, fine - whatever works to get you started. But don't use 'fooling yoursef' with your diary as a crutch or you'll be in trouble down the line...
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are helping yourself by inflating your calorie counts. How will you ever be able to adjust your intake goals if you hit a plateau if you have no idea when you look back whet you were really eating?
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I try to be as accurate as possible, without becoming obsessive. When in doubt, I will overestimate my calories but I try not to short-change myself either since too much of a deficit can be as bad as too little. That said, I wouldn't log a bag of chips if I only ate 2. If I made a conscious effort to only eat two chips, I can make the effort to calculate the percentage of the portion that I actually consumed.