Oh God someone help me....

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's probably the sugar not the coffee. wean yourself off it.. take 1 less teaspoon for the next week.. then reduce it again the following week and so on.. My grandmother did this to me with sugar when I was a teen.. I haven't used sugar since... sugar is evil.
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You're not addicted to coffee, you're addicted to sugar.
    The drinks you mention are pretty much sugar with coffee flavoring.

Take the coffee black, or just stop drinking it and switch to something else until you can deal with the sugar addiction.
  • healthyyet
    Options
    I get it. I like my coffee sweet or not at all. So maybe you can try to make a normal cup of coffee, then add one packet of nestle hot chocolate to it. No cream or whip. It has 80 calories. I am NOT saying this is a healthy food. But it might help you to the road to getting off 700 calories from treat coffees. And it will give you some caffeine to keep those headaches from coming (and maybe save some money???). :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP i know your pain. i like my coffee to be no darker than halle berry which means a LOT of creamer.

what helps me is choosing a better quality coffee. i find that the more bitter a coffee is the more cream and sugar i need. i found a coffee shop on my way to work that has the smoothest french roast i've every had. it' so good that i can get away with a normal amount of creams and sugars (2 creams , 2 sugars for a large cup)
  • kathyjcampbell
    Options
    My addiction of choice was Diet Coke. Withdrawing from the sugar and caffeine can be brutal but I found that starting the morning with fruit helped kill the sugar cravings and gradually reducing the amount you drink will help with the headaches.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I think you are addicted to sugar, not coffee.......

this. coffee has like 5 calories. you're addicted to sugar.
  • Dianak005
    Dianak005 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It adds up fast I had no idea how many calories I was drinking in my coffee I was using six times the serving size of 35 calories and then 3 tsp of sugar at 15 calories each so that was 255 calories for one cup and I was just popping in a Kurig a few times a day not even thinking about how much calories I was drinking. Most fatting Christmas Gift I ever got! Like I said now I just drink one cup of Iced coffee and dont have to guess. I dont think I could ever drink black coffee!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Nix the creamer. Cold turkey. See also any whipped cream or sauces. Step away from the premade fluff and make your own. Also try replacing half the amount of sugar with an artificial sweetner until you can wean yourself off of needing an insane amount of it in your coffee. Also, drink more water and eat more food. Just helpful suggestions.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Have you tried maybe using something like unsweetened almond milk or just less creamer? Splenda or Stevia?
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Dang that sounds like that could get expensive! Drinking plain coffee is better for your wallet :)
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey... I feel that. Trust me. I used to get a 32-ounce fountain Pepsi every morning at work and then usually had a 20-ounce in the afternoon.

I started cutting back to 20 ounces, then 10. Then I switched to Pepsi One. Then I switched to Diet Lipton Green Tea w/ Citrus. Then I switched to Crystal Light and drank a bit of tea if I needed caffeine.

The headaches are from quitting cold turkey. Try to scale it back bit by bit like I did. Each of those steps took me a couple of weeks or so.

Now that I haven't had regular Pepsi (or even Diet) in a long time, I can't stand it. It's sooooo sugary and sticky and leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Plus, since I have insulin resistance, it ramps up my hunger and cravings and I spend the next day or so completely miserable. I actually crave WATER now. I never thought I'd say that. :)
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If the headache is the problem, then get some Excerdin Migraine tablets or if you want natural then you can get feverfew. I would cut back on the calories. It is going to take effort on your part. Good luck!
  • CobraA5
    CobraA5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard to break a habit but just stop and be strong minded. Discipline is the key to success. That is my suggestion.
  • GreekAmericanChrissy
    Options
    Substitute with chamomile tea, water....try de-caf coffee and try "letting go" the the artificial sweeteners etc gradually.
  • oneheckavagirl
    Options
    Tapering off will help. I agree with the person who said one cup of coffee the way you like it the rest black. The caffeine will keep you from getting a migraine, and you will lose those extra pounds of sugar and milk.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have 1.5 T of creamer(53 calories) and two splendas every morning in my coffee.... and 700 calories?!? That's a lot!!

I KNOW! :sad:

Everyday I get two medium iced pumpkin spice with cream and sugar, and eat little else. Understand I also go to art school, so drinking coffee is EVERYONES routine. its a "hipster" thing.... which is horrible...

You could always buy a coffee pot and put in your dorm. I had one in my dorm room. ;) Also, how about doing nonfatmilk and instead of sugar use splenda.

Yes at least you could when I went to school in the dinosaur ages, lol.

I agreed you are addicted to the sugar, not coffee. 700 calories is just crazy! You can get a tall skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks for 90 calories - I could have SEVEN of them and still be under 700 calories!

1) make your own coffee/tea as others suggested (you can even buy to-go cups to carry from target if it will make you feel more like a hipster, lol)
    2) find lower calorie options at DD
    3) decide that you need to eat instead of drink your calories and just do it.

Good luck! I know change is hard, but it's worth it!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    In case you're getting a complex about how you get to all those calories OP, don't feel bad. I could do it easily too. (Luckily Starbucks is so expensive that it's treat territory only.) 2 soy mochas would take me to 660 calories, and that's without whipped cream. Even the soy lattes, no mocha, would take me to the same calorie amount, it would just take three of them. Considering that they fill me up for hours, I could fall into that trap myself of little food, lots of beverage.
  • simplyk8
    simplyk8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    After a few failed attempts to "go black" and only lasting a few months at a time, I successfully set a goal and kept it last January! I didn't partake of a single coffee additive calorie in 2012, and coupled with other changes I lost 60ish pounds. If a life long sugar and cream addict can do it, so can you. Good luck girl!
  • morgaine108
    Options
    I used to drink a "coffee candy bar" every morning....maybe not quite as bad cause I made my own but I just poured sugar and creamer in until it "looked right".

When I went on mfp and started measuring I started to realize how much that must have been. I started off putting like3 tbsp of creamer and 2 tsp of sugar, I have cut it down to 1 tbsp (in a large cup, so it's more like a cup and a half of coffee) and I still do real sugar most of the time, but Stevia is pretty good too. I think they have Stevia at DD....if not, maybe Splenda. Ask them to make your drink light or skinny. I would imagine DD probably has different options, wonder if the Nut info is on the website? I just drink the cup and a half each day and allow myself the creamer and sugar once a day. I think though this kinda keeps me hooked on the sugar when alot of the other regular eating I do during the day is good, but getting that creamer/sugar fix keeps me craving sugar. Half and half isn't bad, and is less calories than regular creamer, or you could ask them to make it with skim. I need a little bit of richness in there though. Hoping to curb this habit gradually as well and not have to have the cream and sugar. I don't mind a little bit of caffeine addiction as long as I don't start going over 1-2 cups a day. As a Mom it's kinda what keeps me going when I have stuff that HAS to be done and the energy just isn't in me.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You're addicted to cream and sugar. Leave coffee out of this. It's innocent.