What's the deal with eggs?

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I always thought that people who are vegetarians ate eggs and that its VEGANS that don't eat or use animals products. Correct me if Im wrong.

And ya, eggs are on the higher side for cholesterol, but they are still healthy and I don't see anything wrong with 1-2 eggs a day.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too, I hard boil my eggs and remove the yolk *sometimes*
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, so no eggies for me (miss em sometimes!)
    Nutritionally, I think they're great and agree with points previously made: saturated fat is the culprit, not dietary cholesterol. However, if you have cholesterol issues, talk to your doc.
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My husband flips out on me because I only eat the yolks most of the time. They are just so tasty. nomnom
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The research is conflicting. So perhaps after a month or so of your two eggs per day, get your cholesterol checked and then again several months later. If your levels are high then try eliminating eggs and get rechecked. It's really the only way to get an idea of how it affects your blood chemistry.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Eggs are great for you! My parents...specifically my dad...goes through about 5 18pks a week or so. His health is spectacular (former bodybuilder). He doesnt eat all the yolk so just be mindful of how much of that you eat.
  • kimberleymk25
    Options
    I do 2 egg whites & 1 yolk per day for over a yr & find that it keeps me feeling fuller longer. If your cholesterol is fine then I wouldn't worry. I love 2 egg whites, 1 yolk, spinach & lentils.
  • _jkr
    _jkr Posts: 24
    Options
    Some muscle builders I know eat like 6 eggs a day.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about cholesterol, eat eggs less often, but there's no need to cut them out.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love eggs and eat plenty of them. My good and bad cholesterol levels are beyond perfect. Eat up and don't worry about it. The info saying they are bad for you is outdated and been proven wrong.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Untrue. There is still a split in fact a recent Western University study compares egg consumption to smoking cigarettes. The study's been questioned in terms of the extent of it's conclusions but not direction.

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1241782--egg-yolks-unhealthy-says-western-university-s-david-spence

Aside from that the medical establishment still advises caution.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

The point is the issue exists so those regularly consuming eggs would be wise to consult their physicians and be tested.
  • spreag
    spreag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sorry for not responding sooner, the replies are amazing! Thanks very much! I might get my cholesterol checked and if its not sky high ill keep eating my eggs! And yes, I am a vegetarian that eats eggs...to the only person that said. I don't eat meat for health reasons, so although I am a crazy animal lover that's not really my reason for being meat free so eggs are fine!
    Won't be grieving over my unborn chicken breakfast but I understand your point. ...also I believe the egg has to be fertilised!

Anyway thanks again for all the response! Ill be armed with facts next time my mum goes mad!

And tbh...I got up this morning to make them and I couldn't even look at them, I think I've sickened myself of them..eaten too many haha!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and eat eggs everyday, probably about 2 whole eggs and unlimited whites!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Absolutely read the thread title in Jerry Seinfeld's voice.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol is 127 and I eat eggs like they're going out of style. I lurve eggs!
  • Txglitter
    Txglitter Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Some one may have already responded to this part of the thread, but my add is kicking in and I just skimmed. Anyway... vegetarians can eat dairy products basically they don't eat meat...Vegans eat no meat or dairy product...nothing associated with animals
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    They are high in cholesterol but it's the good type apparently and the latest research shows its healthy to eat eggs every day :)
  • MelBristol
    Options
    Is it bad to eat two eggs per day for breakfast...my mum is horrified that I have eaten a box of eggs this week (6 eggs) and is adamant its really unhealthy and you're not supposed to eat more than two a week. My dad who works in the sports and nutrition industry also says its not the best daily thing and told me to lay off them a bit! I find they really fill me up, are easy and quick to make and after becoming vegetarian, a nice protein boost :/ thoughts?

The old info was the eggs are high in cholesterol, especially the yolk and that's why my mom shared the same opinion. I recently saw a program on BBC where somebody ate 4 eggs every day for 2 weeks, had their cholesterol levels checked before and after and there was no significant change! So food high in cholesterol don't necessarily elevate yours too!
    I love eggs and eat 1 a day :)
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Is it bad to eat two eggs per day for breakfast...my mum is horrified that I have eaten a box of eggs this week (6 eggs) and is adamant its really unhealthy and you're not supposed to eat more than two a week. My dad who works in the sports and nutrition industry also says its not the best daily thing and told me to lay off them a bit! I find they really fill me up, are easy and quick to make and after becoming vegetarian, a nice protein boost :/ thoughts?

Your parents are very wise and knowledgeable.
  • jeninfl
    jeninfl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I typically eat 2 - 4 whole eggs per day (and have been for years). My cholesterol is always between 140 - 150. As others have said, it is saturated fat that causes high blood cholesterol, not consuming cholesterol.