Potassium!

Options
The other day I had potato, banana, cocoa (although only a tsp) and still couldnt hit my potassium target despite them all being rich in it :( as for other days ive been nowhere near. do i just need to up the quantity somehow without overstepping my cals? or is anyone else having trouble with this one?
may just invest in a supplement i guess! thanks

Replies

• jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Potassium isnt required to be listed on food labels. A lot of entries for food on mfp have no potassium listed

You are probably getting enough potassium if you have well balanced diet. You can google potassium rich foods

You could take a supplement but OTC are only 3 % of the daily value.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Good natural food sources of potassium include:

Bananas
    Avocados
    Nuts, like almonds and peanuts
    Citrus fruits
    Leafy, green vegetables
    Milk
    Potatoes

If you have a good balanced diet that contains natural foods and not a lot of processed food, your potassium levels should be fine. People below are the ones more commonly known to have a potassium deficiency

Use certain medicines, such as diuretics and certain birth control pills
    Have physically demanding jobs
    Are athletes
    Have health conditions that affect their digestive absorption, such as Crohn's disease
    Have an eating disorder
    Smoke
    Abuse alcohol or drugs

If you don't fit into one of these groups then you should be fine. I would recommend talking to a doctor and getting your levels checked if you are concerned because overdosing on potassium does have some serious side effects.
  • LE193
    LE193 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you! Just checked the potassium for milk and they put it as 0, so I guess its what's been mentioned that they don't list it for all foods :)
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lipton Green tea has potassium in it.
  • JoLou88
    JoLou88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. Even taking a supplement 3x/d, I'm still not near the recommended amount. WWT?
    If I ate enough foods to hit my potassium mark I'd be way over my cal count.
    Could the RDA value be wrong???
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Almost all foods have potassium in them.

Almost all food manufacturers don't list it, as they're not required to.