Clean eating.

Options
How.. how do people manage it? I so want to eat clean and cut out all processed crap, not just for my health but to help with my weight loss and exercise journey.

I'm not a veggie fan, anything green and I can't stomach it without heaving. And I'm not a fan of most fruits either.. The fruits and vegetables I do like probably aren't the best ones - bananas, apples, potatoes and carrots.

Currently I'm calorie counting but eating whatever I fancy within those calories - mainly processed frozen ready meals and low fat yogurts. And I can't help but feel like I'm not doing my best because of the foods I'm eating.. and that if I ate clean I'd feel better, be able to perform better during exercise and lose weight better while maintaining muscle mass.

I've tried clean eating before, and after two days just gave up. I can't seem to stand the taste or texture of salad or vegetables!

Is there a way to train yourself to eat healthier and clean?

Replies

• Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Add in one new thing at a time so that most of the time you are enjoying what you eat. Learn to cook it how you like to eat it & use herbs & spices to pep it up. Once upon a time we learnt how to like pizza so we can do it!!
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You've conditioned yourself over many years to like particular tasting foods, so be gentle and understanding with yourself, it will also take time to re-condition yourself to start enjoying simpler foods. The best thing to do is to start mixing in the healthy things you want to develop a taste for into the less healthy things that you really love the taste of -- try to do this every meal, even if it's just one thing. For example, a ready made stir fry with sticky sauce can be mixed into a small bed of steamed spinach...

Experiment with all sorts of different fruit and veg -- there are so many more out there than you realize. Have you ever tried dragonfruit? Would you really say no to a supersweet mango or kiwi?

Another good trick is to make good tasting but healthy dips to go along with fresh veg that you're not as keen for. Nonfat low cal yoghurt is an amazing base -- mix in some hot sauce, indian spices, chili, or some mint... play around.

Just don't give up. And the more you try things, the more you'll learn how to make them how YOU like them, and your body will thank you for it. :)

Good luck! Or more aptly, good choices! :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    like the glasses ... u dont HAVE to eat clean , eating clean is optimal for health reasons , not weight gain/loss ... i prefer eating clean because i get more quantity over taste ;)
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You could maybe try making some soup with vegetables but then adding curry paste or powder and blending them - add a dollop or two of low fat yogurt on top and it no longer tastes of veggies.
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    lozzieemayjenkins Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    like the glasses ... u dont HAVE to eat clean , eating clean is optimal for health reasons , not weight gain/loss ... i prefer eating clean because i get more quantity over taste ;)

If I want to lose 90lbs and get a fit lean physique like these female fitness models & lightweight bodybuilders, then it's more beneficial to eat clean isn't it? I've heard that to have very low body fat and lean muscle mass that you need a clean diet, is this true?
  • NixxyPetal
    Options
    I'm also trying to cut out as much of the processed food I eat as possible - at this point I'm down to considering making my own bread and sauces, but I did used to be much much worse. ...when I decided I wanted to eat healthier for my whole life I fell in love with cooking! I try to make something new every week, and this way I've found so many new foods I like. Last night I made a fish tagine, something I never would have imagined a year ago. Good luck :)
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options
    Add in one new thing at a time so that most of the time you are enjoying what you eat. Learn to cook it how you like to eat it & use herbs & spices to pep it up. Once upon a time we learnt how to like pizza so we can do it!!

I've seen a clean eating pizza recipe somewhere so I'll have to try finding it cause it looked yum!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Many try the all or nothing approach and fail very quickly. I recommend cutting down not cutting out. Remove one bad item, replace it with one good item. Do that for a week, get used to it, then introduce more healthy food into your diet. Occasional unhealthy days are fine.

Of course, losing weight is a different matter - Eat **** and Diet! Calories count.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't you eat meat? meat is clean food to as long as you don't lace it with oil or has a low fat ratio.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Instead of looking at things in such black and white terms ("clean" vs "dirty", "good" vs "bad"), just try to improve the overall nutritional balance of your diet. Maybe try to widen the variety of foods you eat so that you have more options. There are lots of ways to eat vegetables, so maybe try a different way. They can be raw, steamed, roasted. You can put them into homemade soups, or smoothies. Simply not liking the texture of vegetables - to be honest it sounds like you're just not used to it, and if you ate more, you would probably come to like the texture. Different veggies have different textures, and cooking them different ways changes that too. That sounds like more of a mental block than anything.

Eating some processed food isn't going to stop you losing weight, or getting fit, or maintaining lean mass. Eating lots of ready meals makes it more likely that you will be consuming a lot of sodium, and maybe less fibre and micronutrients than you would be if you were cooking from scratch. Maybe learn to cook a few simple dishes to replace those ready meals with. You can easily get a good, nutritious meal from a baked potato for example.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Don't you eat meat? meat is clean food to as long as you don't lace it with oil or has a low fat ratio.
    Fat is dirty?
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options
    You've conditioned yourself over many years to like particular tasting foods, so be gentle and understanding with yourself, it will also take time to re-condition yourself to start enjoying simpler foods. The best thing to do is to start mixing in the healthy things you want to develop a taste for into the less healthy things that you really love the taste of -- try to do this every meal, even if it's just one thing. For example, a ready made stir fry with sticky sauce can be mixed into a small bed of steamed spinach...

Experiment with all sorts of different fruit and veg -- there are so many more out there than you realize. Have you ever tried dragonfruit? Would you really say no to a supersweet mango or kiwi?

Another good trick is to make good tasting but healthy dips to go along with fresh veg that you're not as keen for. Nonfat low cal yoghurt is an amazing base -- mix in some hot sauce, indian spices, chili, or some mint... play around.

Just don't give up. And the more you try things, the more you'll learn how to make them how YOU like them, and your body will thank you for it. :)

Good luck! Or more aptly, good choices! :)

Thank you! Very informative post :) if you have any clean food recipes then message them to me & I'll give them a go! I think I'll need to take a black bag to my food cupboards and fridge freezer when I get home tonight and through out all the rubbish and go shopping for clean food!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

If I want to lose 90lbs and get a fit lean physique like these female fitness models & lightweight bodybuilders, then it's more beneficial to eat clean isn't it? I've heard that to have very low body fat and lean muscle mass that you need a clean diet, is this true?

well if it fits your macros then eat it , u will still get shredded! but id say someone 6-12weeks out of a comp would stick to clean clean eating , get as much of the fullness factor as possible with all the nutrients the body needs for muscle repair and optimum energy during a cut :)
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options
    Many try the all or nothing approach and fail very quickly. I recommend cutting down not cutting out. Remove one bad item, replace it with one good item. Do that for a week, get used to it, then introduce more healthy food into your diet. Occasional unhealthy days are fine.

Of course, losing weight is a different matter - Eat **** and Diet! Calories count.

What do you mean losing weight is a different matter? I've always been under the impression that a clean diet is better for weight loss and to lower body fat?
  • ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    http://www.blogilates.com/recipe-index

Here's some great, really simple recipes. My favourites are the banana pancakes and sweet potato fries (not together!) because they are so simple and taste really unhealthy haha.
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You could maybe try making some soup with vegetables but then adding curry paste or powder and blending them - add a dollop or two of low fat yogurt on top and it no longer tastes of veggies.

Yes! Soup is the way forward! Filling and nutritious. I am like you in that I really don't like vegetables. Been the same way since I was a little girl. I still eat clean though, as in I prepare and cook my own chicken and salmon and then eat it with new potato's and herbs or a small amount of rice. I make my own jacket potato's with beans or with low fat chilli and a little cheese (no butter). Healthy and filling! With the soup, I buy those fresh pots of soup and because a lot of them have big chunks of vegetables in them which turns my stomach, I use one of those hand held blenders to make the soup completely smooth and I love it!
  • camijnarron
    Options
    Start small and trade out portions of processed food for eating green. Your body and taste buds are conditioned to and may even be somewhat addicted to processed foods. You may be amazed at how quickly you'll start feeling and sleeping better. I didn't like spinach and kale to start with, I started by cutting up my spinach and sauteing in olive oil and adding scrambled eggs, can even make an omelet and don't even really taste the green! Now I can eat them by themselves. I started adding different lettuces into my iceburg lettuce salad and now I can do without the iceburg and use just the healthier greens in a salad. A lot of companies are just now starting to make easier to cook brown rice and healthy grain noodles, etc. I've learned eating strawberries gives me a happy boost of energy. Same with cranberry juice (the real kind 100%) Just keep trying! You can do it! and Your body will thank you for it.
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
    Totally agree with this ^^
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options
    This post is addressed to everyone --

My current diet consists of -

Wholemeal bread
    Pancakes
    Breakfast waffles
    Crumpets
    Low fat yogurts (muller lights)
    Hot chocolate sachets
    Low fat chocolate mousse
    Quavers crisps
    Bananas, apples
    Potatoes
    Frozen reduced fat ready meals
    Eggs & egg whites
    Low fat grated cheddar cheese
    Mild cheddar sticks & low fat soft cheese
    Skimmed milk
    Sugar free squash
    Weetabix, shredded wheat

Does anyone see anything I should remove from my diet, or have anything I should add? To me I feel like my entire diet should be clean, and that I should be eating lots of fish, chicken, red meat & eggs, fruit and veggies & natural yogurt etc