5'5"? Realistic Weight goal? Don't need to be size 0....

Options
2»

Replies

• Sirref0275
    Sirref0275 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies and gentlemen, I don't know about anyone else, but a person's weight is not about how you emotionally feel about yourself, I am a scrawny 180 at 5'10" and if I had to carry 20 to 40 extra pounds around all day, I think I would be burned out at the end of the day. Maybe it's just me but I think the issue is, is it healthy to be over weight? I also believe in leading by example I have a 6 year old daughter and 18 year old son who I have to be a good example too. I sorry if this offends anyone, think about how this affects other not yourself! teach your kids how to eat responsibly. sorry for the rant.

Honestly Steve
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5". I started at around 150. Got down to 110 which most people said I was too small and looked sick all the time. I am now 125 and most people say it is perfect for me. I struggle with the number as well as the clothes in my closet I cannot wear. I had gotten down to a size 2. Now I am a 4. My doctor told me to quick stressing about it. I am very thankful of where I am at and am really trying to focus on a healthy lifestyle vs the number on the scale. So that is where I am trying to focus this year. To not worry about the number and work on being healthy and toning.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think your goal is very realistic.

I am 5'5" and for the last year, I weighed 156 after losing 40 lbs. I would like to get to 150, maybe even 145, but if I don't, I won't be unhappy. I feel and look really good at 156 and I wear a comfortable size 12.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies and gentlemen, I don't know about anyone else, but a person's weight is not about how you emotionally feel about yourself, I am a scrawny 180 at 5'10" and if I had to carry 20 to 40 extra pounds around all day, I think I would be burned out at the end of the day. Maybe it's just me but I think the issue is, is it healthy to be over weight? I also believe in leading by example I have a 6 year old daughter and 18 year old son who I have to be a good example too. I sorry if this offends anyone, think about how this affects other not yourself! teach your kids how to eat responsibly. sorry for the rant.

Honestly Steve

You're silly.
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    I'm 52 years old, 5''5" and my start weight at the beginning of April 2012 was 216 pounds. I was wearing size 20 pants comfortably (but could squeeze into some size 18s). I'm now just over 150 and wear a size 10 or 11 in pants (although, today I'm in 9s!). I'm less than a pound from my original goal, but plan to continue on with what I'm doing. For me, this is no longer about a number on the scale or on the label in my clothes. It is about being the best me that I can be; taking care of myself and being healthy.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Honestly Steve

The weight that the OP is aiming for (160) is only a few pounds overweight and a BMI of 26.71. Your "scrawny" 180 is a BMI of 25.82 (which is actually still overweight if you're going to be picking on others). We're all trying to be healthier here and a loss is still a loss.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I never was overweight (back then) and my weight was in between 125lbs to 130lbs... I am 5'4" and 3/4... my doc never said I was under or overweight.. my guess that is the average normal weight for around 5'5"...
  • Sirref0275
    Sirref0275 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sorry!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It's all relative.

I am 5'5" and 48 years old. I started getting serious about losing weight when I was 188 and the last size pants I bought was a size 17/18. I'm amazed at the amount of women who were wearing a size 16 at over 200 as I couldn't even get into my 17/18. I wore nothing but stretch pants because I refused to buy a bigger size! That really shows how very different we all are!

In high school, I was always around 110-115, not skinny at all, but thin and healthy. My original goal weight was 145 because when I weighed that at 38, I thought I looked good. I wore a size 9/10. Well, as I got closer to my goal, I realized 145 was not going to look the same on me. I now have a new goal weight of 135.

I went through menopause at 38 and I guess my life went to hell in a hand basket then (although there were/are perks :laugh:)! My body shape has changed completely. Before menopause and the weight gain, I had an hour glass figure, and now I am a true apple. I am very top heavy, very broad shoulders, large breasts, NO waist, NO azz, NO hips, very thin legs, etc., etc. Hell, my face is still big! It's disheartening to say the least.

I now weigh 143-144 and wear a size 8 jeans (a thrill for me btw), but the majority of my tops are still large or a 10/12 (down from a size 2X). I am also still quite jiggly, so I bought a home gym to incorporate weight lifting into my routine and just hope that I don't get even bigger up top!

My point is, we are all so different. I just want to be happy with the body I'm in. Essentially, I think that's what the majority of us want - especially us ladies in our 40's and up!

Here's hoping each and every one of you get to the place that makes you happy and if you're there already CONGRATULATIONS!!

Chris
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    Hi. I'm also 5'5 and my starting weight was 248!! EEK! Hadn't weighed for a very long time. I was a very tight size 18. More like a size 20 but would'nt buy it. 2X uniform tops. Yeah I knew I was in trouble. Anyway, I went to a Bariatric doctor. Got an EKG, lab work, blood pressure and a physical. They want me to write down all I eat and water I consume. That led me to My Fitness Pal.Wonderful site by the way! They also said High protein, lower carb. "If it's white it ain't right they said" As a nurse I knew this stuff but paid no attention to my health. Also I joined a gym and like it. Anyway on the subject ,I am doing 10% of my body weight intervals and have met my first one. I remember when I weighed 180 and thought I looked and felt good. I think 150-160 would be a pretty steep goal for me but who knows.
  • matti07
    matti07 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    To start, I think the OPs goals are very realistic.

I'm 46 and 5'6" (no, really) and was 240 # at my heaviest (actually, that's not true. I was 248 at one point a couple of years ago). When I was 17, I worked over the summer for a (unknown to me) anorexic woman. I got down to 118 without noticing -- WAY too tiny for me.

I am an hourglass, too. I think my frame is medium-sized. My goal is 135. If I am building muscle and feeling healthy at a bigger number, I may re-evaluate. Right now it's about losing enough weight and moving enough to get healthier. I am a Type II diabetic, and my blood sugar was 117 this morning. Before joining MFP and (frankly) getting serious about watching what i put in my mouth and how much exercise I get, I was regularly getting readings over 200 (fasting!).

To my vast annoyance, I never got to my mother's height (5'7"). Additionally, she was plank-like and had even modeled (!) in the late 60's/early 70s, so was pretty much Twiggy. My development into a girl-shaped body unnerved her, I think. Net net, skewed body image.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and have no interest in ever weighing less than 170 (my goal is 180). I remember when I was in HS and anorexic and got to a weight of 140 and I looked seriously sick. seems unreal to think someone weighing 140 would look sickly thin but i did. I am talking ribs poking out, hip bones etc. Plus, my dr always asks if I have cement in my pocket because she cannot believe my weight compared to my looks LOL
  • lpepper
    Options
    It's not about numbers really. Like everyone has said, different bodies, same weights, different results. It's about where you feel good about yourself. If you are truly honest, you know when you are too heavy if you can't do things you want to do, or your clothes don't feel good any more, if you are tired all the time, etc. We all have red flags and most of us have probably ignored them at some point or another.

I quite frankly don't care if I'm in a size 12 or a size 14. If I can get through a day with great energy, great attitude and what I'm wearing makes me feel like a million bucks, I'm good.

Yes I weigh in and I do watch my calories, but I've decided it's about how I feel more than it's about numbers.
  • xbritnex
    xbritnex Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 22 and 5'7'' and 186 lbs. Right now I am a size 16. Weight is so different on so many people. When I was at my lowest I was 125 lbs and I was a freshman in high school. I was a size 9 in juniors sizes. Which im guessing would be a 10 in womens. I was around 145-150 throughout all the rest of high school and that was mostly all muscle and even though I gained 25-30lbs I only gained 1 size. I went to a size 11. So weight isn't really all that matters its what u look like and your body shape. I would not have been considered fat at all at 150 I had abs and was really close to a 6 pack. So just do what your body feels is right.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Honestly Steve

I probably shouldn't say this on this website, but I say it all the time IRL. I do not like skinny men. I prefer a man with some meat on his bones (and NO, I'm NOT looking). So many men on this website looked better in their "before" pics to me - or at least their "during". The women; however, look awesome in their "afters". Just my opinion!