Women who are 220lbs + ... What's your workout regime ?

Options
Hi ,

I'm 5'4 and 229lbs , i do a rotation of tae-bo one day and running (20 min) the next. I'm on week 2 of this . My plan is to add 1 spinning class from week 4/5 . I find running is fine on my knees , so never go the ''if your heavier , running isn't good for ur knees'' advice.

What's your regime ?

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2" and was 228 when i started. Back then I started with 30 minutes of treadmill, then did some of the strength machines. I have added in new machines and other strength stuff as my confidence gets higher. 3 months ago I started lifting HEAVY...
  • toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Ah kool . Have you tried the kettlebell ? I love it ! Have used it before and oh brought me one yesterday . I did 40 just after coming in from my run and a plank . Will use it today to tone up after doing tae-bo x
  • Chrisswa
    Options
    I am of similar height and weight and 48 years of age. I like to do a hour + a day exercise ... i do Rev (like RPM but goes for a hour) Body Vive, War ( like combat ) and my own stuff at home its all moderate to high impact and i love it all. I think the more you the more your body adjusts.
  • toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yeah by week 4 il be doing hour work outs but can be hard with my little one .x
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Ah kool . Have you tried the kettlebell ? I love it ! Have used it before and oh brought me one yesterday . I did 40 just after coming in from my run and a plank . Will use it today to tone up after doing tae-bo x

I haven't done much with kettlebells so far...but this spring I am thinking about taking a kettlebell class at the Y. I saw it last quarter and thought it was pretty cool.
  • bellamomma0419
    Options
    Hi. I am 43, at 253lbs and 5'8". I've lost 40lbs, but since starting on MFP, I've only lost 8lbs, but dropped at least another inch. I think it's my workout regiment. I do a lot of water aerobics (2-3 a week). Including Water Zumba, which is great fun. I also mix up my routine with dance/strength training classes. I started using the eliptical as well as weight training. I do weights twice a week, but want to do more. I've dropped from a size 26 to a size 20 and it's mostly muscle toning. Keeping a variety of exercise going helps me from getting bored.
  • cfilipi74
    cfilipi74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do about 30 - 60 minutes on the treadmill, 45 - 60 minutes on the elliptical, and 20 - 30 minutes on the stationary bike. I don't do them all in one day, I switch things up everyday. I go to the gym 5 days a week and hope to soon make an effort to get there at least once over the weekend.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 250 and right now mine mostly consists of cardio with very little resistance. I do alot of Turbo Fire and elliptical. I do strength once a week.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing jillian michaels 30DS heres the link to my results. with no other exercise
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844640-my-30ds-results
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    I started on recumbent bike,then am on treadmill at a 3.0 pace for 45 minutes. Also do weights for 30 minutes most days. My weight started at 248 and is now 222 since Nov.2012. Also walks outdoors weather permits. I will have to get some more confidence before I try a class. I'm a clutz. Also I'm 45.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics 3-4 times a week and walk 3-4 times a week. But I do have a knee injury that keeps me from running and/or doing other things. Despite the fact that an elliptical is supposed to be easy on your knees it kills mine. I currently weigh about 291.
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I follow Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer. I'm in phase one now, so there's no cardio, but I'm focusing on lifting as heavy as I can.
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    I am 5'10" and 247 lbs. I tried the 30DS and the knee pain was too much. I've found that the elliptical works best for my cardio (about 30 minutes) and if I'm careful about stretching and the right footwear I can add in C25K most days (for about 50 mins of cardio). Squats don't bother my legs but any sort of jumps do. I am hoping that once I shed a stone or two the pain on my knees will be a bit less (or non-existent??).
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    regime_change_sm.gif
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10", 220lb and have been running since May 2012. I started on Couch 2 5k and have worked my way up ot running half marathons. I'm currently in "off season" so running about 2 miles per day on the treadmill (3-4 times per week) and added 45 minutes of strength training to build lean muscle. From everything I've heard, don't skimp on strength training cause cardio is only half the battle.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Im 43... 5'8" currently 205 but Ive lost 68 lbs since Labor Day

I lift weights 3 days a week ( MWF) .... C25K three days a week ( T, TH, Sa).... Swim 3 days ( M, W, Sa) and cycle 2 days a week ( T, Fr)... puts me at about 2 workout hours daily 5 to 6 days a week.....Sunday is my rest day....

Granted Im only in week 2 of this ......but I plan to keep it up for 16 weeks ( because Ive paid for 16 weeks of swimming classes) and will reevaluate then.
  • HeatherOberholtzer
    Options
    2 years ago I started at 289 and I am 5ft 2in...I started with plain old walking and then moved up to elliptical...then I broke out the Taebo (original) dvd :) Now I have been doing Beachbody workouts...but I am making a change to try Zumba next week...I have hit a plateau!!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am currently down 27kg from where I originally started (was a size 22 at that point). Gradually increased my exercise from nothing to walking, to doing a few classes and going to the gym. I do find that changing the routine every few months helps. Latest clothes are comfortably a size 16 (I am 5'7).

At the moment I do :
    Monday - run
    Tuesday - spin
    Wednesday - run
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - run or gym
    Saturday - a.m. BodyPump p.m. walk or run
    Sunday - big lie-in and not a lot else ;)
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I workout 5-6 days a week, usually for 45-60 minutes each day. I run 3 miles twice a week and use the elliptical, cross trainer and/or rowing machine the other days - combined with working out with a personal trainer twice a week.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I started at 230 pounds and my exercise was walking and Jazzercise. I still do both and more. I'm glad I started at Jazzercise because they taught me how to modify for my limitations at that time and the membership is from all fitness levels.
    Whatever you choose, I suggest a heart rate monitor. It will let you know what zone your heart rate is in and how many calories you have burned.
    Be accurate logging your food and in logging your calories burned, and you will see results.