What to put in smoothie?

Options
So, we have an unused blender downstairs and in my quest to lose the final lbs and tone up I am taking some of the shopping into my own hands.

I still live at home, so depended on my parents to buy in the food. However, they aren't trying to lose weight or be healthy, so I'm going to need to take some action.

I want to start making healthy smoothies with various fruits, however, I've no idea what liquid type thing I would put in to make the smoothie a 'smoothie' and not a 'juice'. For example, I would put say apple, banana and orange juice into a smoothie, but what else do I add to make it thicker as opposed to just fruit juice?

Also, on a slight side note, can you put protein powder in smoothies? Getting enough protein is something that I often struggle with and thought that it might be a good idea to help boost that a touch.

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You can put whatever you want in a smoothie. I like mixing mine with soymilk (lactose intolerant - can't have regular milk). You can use milk, soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, water, any juice, etc. With Juices watch the sugar though - they have lots added.

You can also use yogurt if you want to thicken it up.

And you can definitely put protein powder in your smoothies - I have it in mine every morning.

Hope that helps!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You can definitely put PP in smoothies.

Here's a great list:

http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/10/big-list-of-green-smoothies.html

Basically-- kale, spinach, berries, almond milk, cherries, yogurt, flax, etc, etc. I'd rec sticking with a 60%veg, 30% protein, 10%fruit ratio if you are trying to lose weight-- fruit is obv healthy, but the cals add up in quickly in a smoothie.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I let my imagination run free.
    I mix at times veggies, protein powder, fruit, yogurt, wheat germ....ect...
    Just know this one rule...there is no rule..:bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have used milk or soy milk in the past, but stopped in order to save the calories. It's a smoothie either way, but any liquid will do.

My latest favorite smoothie:

1 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup raspberries
    1/2 cup blackberries
    1 banana
    1 tablespoon of Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams
    Ice
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I mix my coffee in my smoothy...makes me want to avoid the coffee drinks from monster and Starbucks...which am a slave to sometimes.
  • Danyell1205
    Danyell1205 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love to have green smoothies!

Spinach, (steamed) carrots, 1/2 banana, and strawberries!! Yummy! It will turn green due to the spinach but you can't taste it!! Tastes like a strawberry and banana smoothie! :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I almost always put spinach in mine. You can hardly taste it, and it adds great vitamins. Vanilla protein powder, and a splash of whatever juice I have on hand.

Chia seeds are good too.

If I'm doing a creamier smoothie, I like to do chocolate protein powder, almond milk, and BP2.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So, we have an unused blender downstairs and in my quest to lose the final lbs and tone up I am taking some of the shopping into my own hands.

I still live at home, so depended on my parents to buy in the food. However, they aren't trying to lose weight or be healthy, so I'm going to need to take some action.

I want to start making healthy smoothies with various fruits, however, I've no idea what liquid type thing I would put in to make the smoothie a 'smoothie' and not a 'juice'. For example, I would put say apple, banana and orange juice into a smoothie, but what else do I add to make it thicker as opposed to just fruit juice?

Also, on a slight side note, can you put protein powder in smoothies? Getting enough protein is something that I often struggle with and thought that it might be a good idea to help boost that a touch.

It's only a juice if you extract the juice from the fruit and discard most or all of the pulp, it's a smoothie if you blend the whole fruit even if you don't add anything else, then it is a pure fruit or all fruit smoothie. Try a whole orange instead of orange juice. Bananas give plenty of body unless you dilute the hell out of them with added juice.

If you want more balanced nutrition you can add whey protein powder, cocoa powder, peanut butter, cottage cheese, avocado, ground nuts or seeds. There are loads of threads on this if you run a search.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    My favorite bases for thick smoothies are skim milk and 0% Fage yogurt. I usually add ice cream, peanut butter, banana and protein powder but that's a calorie bomb. Try frozen fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, peaches and mango.
  • newlyf
    newlyf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie every morning with 1 scoop of Jay Robb's protein powder (25 grams of protein) 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 frozen strawberries, 1/2 banana. I add about 1 cup of water. It's just like drinking a frosty shake. Very low in calories and I love it!!:laugh:
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yes protein shake in smoothies is awesome. I often add a bunch of fruit to add some extra calories and nutrition to a protein shake, plus makes it taste a hell of a lot better too.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Add whatever macronutrients youre missing in your diet. If you struggle with protein then add protein. Just be aware fruits are chock full of sugar as is milk.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Add whatever macronutrients youre missing in your diet. If you struggle with protein then add protein. Just be aware fruits are chock full of sugar as is milk.

*sigh*

I dropped 30 pounds and was in perfect health have a smoothie full of fruit and peanut butter every day.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    For my smoothies, I usually put in about 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, almond milk, and whatever fruit I have. You can also add things like honey, peanut butter, protien powder, almonds, and veggies. You can really put whatever you want in them.
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    steph's morning glory smoothie

1.5 cups of coffee (Steph likes hers Bodum-pressed...I'm inclined to agree)
    1 frozen banana
    1 head of kale
    bee pollen (wondering where to find this? Check out your local health-food store...this stuff has amazing benefits)
    2 tablespoons of almond butter

Green Smoothie

1/2 cup vanilla almond, soy, or coconut milk (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
    1 cup frozen pineapple pieces
    1 cup frozen mango chunks
    1 big handful fresh baby spinach
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    I generally use:

1 scoop optimum whey protein powder (chocolate flavored)
    1 banana
    3 ice cubes
    1 cup of water

Sometimes I substitute the banana for 1 cup of frozen berries or any type of frozen fruit and depending on how sweet you like it, you can add 1-2 splenda.

You could also add some natural peanut butter!
  • rachel654321
    Options
    For fruit smoothies, I like to use yogurt and a little bit of apple juice to give it a nice consistency and sweetness. Then I am a big fan of adding frozen mango. You can get it in the freezer section of the grocery store, where it comes cut into nice chunks. Add that and it gives the smoothie a nice cool crunchy consistency without using ice. Then of course add whatever other fruits you want. I like mango blueberry smoothies myself.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Check out blendhappy.com ... There's some really yummy recipes on there
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I made a pumpkin pie smoothie this morning.

1 c spinach
    1/2 c canned pumpkin
    1 T coconut oil
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
    a little water to blend and a few ice cubes.
  • Digby
    Digby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Every smoothie I make has spinach. It doesn't change the flavour and you don't know it is there - a great way to get in a serving of veggies.

My typical breakfast smoothie

Vanilla Six Star Protein powder - 3/4 scoop
    frozen blueberries
    glob of 0% fat plain greek yogurt
    glob of almond butter
    handfull of spinach
    fill with unsweetened almond milk - either chocolate or vanilla