When do recovery drinks become necessary?

Options
As part of my weight-loss program, I am doing some moderate weights. Tues, Thurs, Sat, 2x12 sets, 60-75% max lift. All on a machine, fairly even across the body. The whole program takes about 30 minutes.

To me a recovery drink would seem excessive, would you agree? If anything is needed, I'd imagine I could get sufficient protein from a 10oz glass of milk, no? No need to start hanging around the body building section of the local GNC just yet? I don't want to be a gung ho beginner who thinks they need creatine and protein powder to lift some 10 pound dumbbells, but at the same time I do want to things right for the level I am at.

I'm generally not excessively sore after my workouts, though I am suffering today after doubling up with a new pushup program on Tuesday.

Replies

• 21Pontoon
    Options
    I've just started weight and the sort of things with a friend... he keeps telling me that you can never have enough protein. Mainly it helps recovery afterwards, things like milk tend to have a lot of sugar per calorie whilst protein shakes can be more controlled if you make them yourself. To be honest I don't have one every time but if I'm feeling a bit light or under protein-y they help me from reaching for bad foods.

You don't have to have them religiously but incorporating them into a small meal plan or a snack could help if you're not feeling strong enough.. it helped me at least x
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting sufficient nutrition throughout the course of each day there is no real need for a recovery drink post workout.

Glycogen will replenish itself just fine this does not need to happen within 1 hour of working out despite what people (and supplement companies) tell you, unless you intend on workout out the same muscles again before you can eat anything else.

For lots of people, especially on calorie restricted diets, these are liquid calories that could be allocated to something much more satiating at some other point of the day.

For the kind of the training the average person in an average gym does, they are not necessary.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track. Read this and the next time you have a question like this, avoid the forums and go to this website. Lyle McDonald is well respected and his views are research based. He's one of the few level heads out there.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I find that after even workouts that aren't very intense on weights, a protien shake really helps me recover. If I don't have one I will pretty much be useless for a day or so because I am so exhausted. Maybe give it a try, see what works for you.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If you don't meet your daily protein goals buy some whey. Meal timing doesn't matter so it's also not necessary to get that protein shake like right after your workout. Other supplements are optional but not necessary. I've been taking whey & BCAAs for a while and recently started taking creatine.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I try to go for 20-30g of protein before and after a workout to ensure the work I've done has the best possible chance to result in changes.
    I don't tend to drink too much milk as I'd prefer my non-protein calories come from other sources (for me being satisfied more than anything.)

10ounces of milk would contain about 9g of protein.
    So I'd be wanting to drink a fair bit more than that - which would mean quite a lot of calories, even for skimmed milk.

If I had the calories spare, I'd be quite happy to drink a load of milk for my protein source.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice, I'll certainly take it all on board. Thanks to sunsnstatheart for the link - I've come across Lyle's site before, but hadn't read this particular article, so it was helpful.

I'm not a big guy, and I'm really not pushing big weights, so I think my first move is going to be to add a cup of fat-free milk post-workout (I have the available kCals). I've found that in all aspects of life one experiences diminishing returns, and that's it's best to start with the cheapest thing that meets your needs, and milk it (excuse the pun) until it's no longer sufficient.

I make my pre-workout breakfast oatmeal with 3/4 cups of fat-free milk, so that will sandwich the workout between 11g protein 15 minutes before and 8g protein 15 minutes after. I also eat meat on weights days (almost vegetarian on cardio days), so more protein throughout the day.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I believe they reckon that muscles can keep 'healing' for up to 48 hours after?

That being the case; worth making sure your protein intake is fairly high.

I'm very far from a serious lifter, but still try and keep my protein intake to around 1g per lb of body weight to ensure that anything I does do will have the most benefit.