C25K / First 5K

Options
So, my husband and I signed up for our first 5K. I'm on W1D3 for C25K. I listen to the app for the first 30 minutes then I walk for a total of 3 miles, three time a week. My current 5K time is 52:10. I feel like I could do more running but I'm being patient for once and don't want to push myself too hard and not look forward to it. I'm 100 lbs overweight still so I'm just getting over my preconceived notion that I shouldn't be running.

I know... for my first 5K I should focus on just completing it and having a good time. I'm OK with that being my primary goal, but there's nothing wrong with working towards a better time!

Here's my question: When you were training for your first 5K, was your race time better, worse, or similar to the time you had been training at?

Replies

• amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Wow, no one ever answered you?

I think on race day, you usually do a bit better because of the excitement and energy of the crowd, plus, I bet if you have only been walking, you'll throw in a tiny bit of running on race day... you won't be able to help yourself!

By the way, how is the training going?
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would agree that your time will be better :) The excitement and energy within and around you will push you to go faster than while you were training.
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would agree that your time will be better :) The excitement and energy within and around you will push you to go faster than while you were training.

This. You will be so excited to be there that your time will be better. The first race is always the most fun!
  • PhoenixSTL
    PhoenixSTL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My experience was a worse time. However, it was extremely badly organised - it was a special night race on Guy Fawkes night. Started 45 minutes late, they didn't organise anyone at the start line and there were maybe 1000 racing. So it was a very crowded track (maybe fit about 4 people side by side at a push), and I ended up just settling behind people. Could have overtook on the grass if I wanted, but it was also extremely muddy and I couldn't be bothered :-p