Gym Shake Bars...is there a benefit?

Options
Hey All! I'm at the gym almost daily and they have a shake bar...what are the benefits of getting a shake and what is the best one for which exercise? I mainly do cardio and minor weight lifting but I would like to try the shakes, I just don't know if its really worth it.

Thank! Amanda

Replies

• Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    anyone....?
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. The gym makes a huge profit on these things.

Some claim a "recovery" benefit but for the cost, you'd be better off packing some cottage cheese or cheese sticks, etc. I suppose if you have disposable income and want to spend the money - and need a snack, it's not bad, but I think it's just a money maker for the gym. The cost likely outweighs the benefit by far.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    There's such a variety that it might be best to ask someone at your specific gym since they would know what the options were. I know I generally go for max protein when I get a shake or a smoothie, and I usually don't worry much about the other supplements they can put in there. My immune system is healthy and I take a multivitamin most days, so I personally don't think any of those boosts would really do anything for me.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    They're a convenient, (usually) high protein snack. I would guess that the ones at your gym are overpriced.
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gym for over 5 years..and in all honesty most of the gym shake bars use too much "extra" stuff to make them worth it..yes they may be high in protein but usually have more tha 500 calories in them...not worth it at all!! unless they are actually just using protein powder, water and real fruit.
  • samlankford
    Options
    don't know if I would bother with them... I personally want to know the protein/carb/fat that goes into my shakes.. but I guess if your short on time and feel like you NEED something (if your not able to make or bring something from home), then go for it
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Profit. You can do much better at home. The ones at the gym are sugar and calories for the most part.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The only benefit is conveinence and lack of cleanup afterward.

A shake I pay $6-$8 for at my gym though I can make for maybe a dollar at home, and it would have higher quality ingredients too.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    if you're just doing cardio and "minor" lifting, you likely don't need a high protein shake. if you want to try one just to try one, then pick one you think looks good and be prepared to spend too much money on it.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks All! I do minor lifting to keep muscles active, don't want to bulk up considering my arm muscles are already somewhat big for my size.