• Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Start slow and get a really good bra.

^^^ I agree!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    - GET GOOD RUNNING SHOES FITTED AT A RUNNING STORE!
    - Walk it before you run it.
    - Try C25K - it took me a year!
    - 3 days a week is enough in the beginning.
    - Do some leg exercises 2 days a week.
    - Rest.

A couple of running blogs:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/surviving-the-long-run-398961

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/feckin-runnin-466650

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/why-i-hate-running-423982

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/injuries-and-stupidity-453702
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    I am so excited and encouraged to read these posts! Wow. I too was struggling..just got back to running. Week 2 of a 10K program. Still pretty slow. I did a 5K in July and came in 2nd to last. Oh, well.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner. Hated it. Hated it so much that I swam my tests in the military other than run, which can be hard after doing sit-ups and push-ups and then having to use your core again to swim.

But, I have recently started the C25K program. The good thing about it is it goes for time rather than speed or distance at first. You can go as slow or as fast as possible. They actually say that if you can go slower on the program then you are going to fast.

The C25K group on here is great. The runners there have great tips on keeping your feet good and recovery after so you aren't spent on the next run.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Starting out at any new cardio activity is really HARD! I'd been an avid cyclist doing endurance distances 100-200km, for a while and I thought starting running would be easy... I wanted to do a triathlon, so bit the bullet and started running... OH GOSH did it hurt! I could barely run from one lamppost the next! Keeping the drive and motivation is really hard. What helped me was committing to a running event.

Like I am stupid or something I committed to a Marathon first off, D'oh! REALLY bad idea! Lots of injuries and lots of disappointments and massive learning curve. What I did learn (and keep learning) was that you can only safely increase your intensity and duration 10% each week. If you break this rule you will injure yourself. I am doing my third Marathon this April, and struggling to build my capacity after an Achilles injury and sickness over Christmas / New Year.

A key point in running is that what counts is the intensity/pace/incline and duration, not distance, 1 mile on a hilly route can be like 3 miles on the flat. The surface you run on is key too; running on a track, road or grass/cross-country are completely different, each surface uses different muscles and requires different running styles... The best place to start may be your local park, running circuits on the grass, which is gentle on your muscles, usually fairly flat and helps you get a feel for distance and intensity/pace. For this reason it may be the best place to do C25K, which IMHO is the best way to start running. I have taken a people through C25K and they found support key to keeping with the program. You might want to look for a running friend or local running club to start you off, as a newbie you will hopefully find they will let you try things out before they ask you to commit to membership. If you get the running bug you are sure to want to join :-)

Finally, one thing that is often neglected is stretching and core workouts. Doing lunges, squats, planks, crunches, free-weights & press-ups can really help to build up the relevant muscles, even before you start running. Muscle lengthening stretches at the end of a run (20-30 seconds) are key to recovery and injury prevention, especially arms shoulders, calves, quads/hamstrings (front and back of upper leg). A bag of frozen peas and/or a cold bath will also help you with post run aches and pains (don't forget Ibuprofen). Also cottage cheese, salmon, cherry juice, and dark chocolate will give you muscles the nutrients they need to repair and recover. A-Z multi-vitamins are good for runners too as they supply the extra nutrients you have metabolised (use-up) because you are doing an impact sport.

Hope that helps, message me back or send a friend request if you want more details on anything I have mentioned :-)
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Simply start with run/walk intervals and gradually increase your total time. As you get comfortable, add time to your running intervals. Make sure you warm up well and cool down after and stretch after as well. Get a good pair of running shoes (at a store where they can evaluate your gait if possible). Just curious--what made you stop the C25K program? Was it pain, discouraged because you weren't improving or other. I know it's easier said then done, but don't let last place stop you. You are still beating everyone who's too lazy to try ;)

AGREED !!! Take it slow. A lot of new runners want to run at the pace of their friend or at a fast pace because they do not have thier breathing down. A run/ walk is also my advice. I have trained a couple of my friends on running outside and I always suggest that you walk for 3-5 minutes after your run. This prevents shin splints and relaxes your muscles.
    GOOD LUCK and feel free to friend me if you need more encouragement.
  • stacey2525
    stacey2525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone totally going to try this again!!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Really good shoes to prevent injury. Get them fitted at a reputable running shop and buy the most expensive pair you can afford. Bad shoes will only give you injuries which will sabotage your efforts.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Really good shoes to prevent injury. Get them fitted at a reputable running shop and buy the most expensive pair you can afford. Bad shoes will only give you injuries which will sabotage your efforts.

This depends on preference. You can either do the running shoe thing or try the minimalist shoe approach. I'm a barefoot type but both work for different people. Play around and see what works for you.

I agree on the take it slow approach. If you're currently sedentary then don't be afraid to just walk a lot as you build up.
  • stacey2525
    Options
    I walk a path 3.4 miles 2 or 3 days a week
  • tara_612
    Options
    Start slow and get a really good bra.

^^^ I agree!!

Good advice! Am looking to start c25k on Monday
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    First, like one of the others has said, GET A GOOD BRA! (I still need to do this… Currently, I wear my regular bra with a sports bra layered over and a compression top… Haven't had the time to go shopping.)

Second, a good pair of running shoes or cross trainers. I got a pair of K Swiss Tubes - Run 100's ( http://www.kswiss.com/shop/footwear/92281-076/Women/Tubes_Run_100/BLKFADE_BBLGUM/ ) and I LOVE them! Very cushiony, I highly recommend them (though try to find them at maybe DSW Shoe Pavilion, etc. at a discounted price. I found mine for $30 at DSW.)

Third, go into whatever program/workout routine you decide to do with it in your head that you WILL finish! It may suck, and you may not like it at first. But remember, you're not doing this for entertainment, you're doing it for your health. But who knows, maybe a change or two in your "equipment" (bra and shoes) may make it better! I started the C25K again yesterday (I did Week 1, Day 1 a few months ago and sprained my ankle… Talk about a set back) and surprisingly to myself, I didn't hate it. I actually enjoyed it?!

Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me! =)
  • stacey2525
    Options
    Thank you all for your advise I really appreciate it and am going to wake up tomorrow and try again
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K a couple of months ago - for the second time. It really works if you can just stick with it - I finished the program in the 8 weeks and ran a 5k about a month ago. I am now up to about 5 miles, which is the farthest I have been able to run since college - if I can do it, anyone can! The key for me was to go at my own pace - I am not a fast runner, but that's ok - I consider it a victory just to be running! Get some upbeat music to listen to, if you haven't already. That way you aren't just thinking about how tired you are the whole time! :laugh:
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    If someone is really interested in running, and burning calories, I highly recommend you consider doing triathlon sprint training. This would mean a couple runs (doing C25K), a couple bike (or exercise bike) sessions, and a couple of swims every week. Both biking and swimming have little or no impact and allow you to exercise longer with lower risk of joint related injury. The three fit together so nicely and compliment each other. For example, swimming builds breath control and is very helpful to the runner. Cycling builds endurance that helps for elongating your swims and runs. And your muscles are doing different motions encouraging muscle balance that can also help avoid injury.

Running alone as a weight loss / calorie burning method may not be a great choice. Here's why ...
    - Running requires patience. You can only run a short duration and need rest days between runs. The amount of time you actually run and therefore calories burned is very limited for the first couple months. (For example, three weeks into C25K you are running 9 minutes in between walking)
    - Runners are injury prone. Recovery from injury requires rest - sometimes a week or more - of not running.
    - Running is high impact and puts stress on the joints. Extra weight increases the impact. This means heavier runners are even more susceptible to injury.
    - Increasing mileage requires good form, which is more technical than a newbie would know.

So mixing the running with the other exercises helps you burn a lot of calories and build endurance while learning the art of running. I think its the best way to learn.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    If someone is really interested in running, and burning calories, I highly recommend you consider doing triathlon sprint training. This would mean a couple runs (doing C25K), a couple bike (or exercise bike) sessions, and a couple of swims every week. Both biking and swimming have little or no impact and allow you to exercise longer with lower risk of joint related injury. The three fit together so nicely and compliment each other. For example, swimming builds breath control and is very helpful to the runner. Cycling builds endurance that helps for elongating your swims and runs. And your muscles are doing different motions encouraging muscle balance that can also help avoid injury.

Running alone as a weight loss / calorie burning method may not be a great choice. Here's why ...
    - Running requires patience. You can only run a short duration and need rest days between runs. The amount of time you actually run and therefore calories burned is very limited for the first couple months. (For example, three weeks into C25K you are running 9 minutes in between walking)
    - Runners are injury prone. Recovery from injury requires rest - sometimes a week or more - of not running.
    - Running is high impact and puts stress on the joints. Extra weight increases the impact. This means heavier runners are even more susceptible to injury.
    - Increasing mileage requires good form, which is more technical than a newbie would know.

So mixing the running with the other exercises helps you burn a lot of calories and build endurance while learning the art of running. I think its the best way to learn.
    Really like this! Will try it too.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Please give the C25K another chance and just take it as you can - take however long it takes to get thru the first day even if you have to do it for 3 weeks in a row. I never ran in my life and did the C25K a few months ago and now I can't get out there enough because I love to run. I was very overweight and I'm 62 years old. You can do it - just do NOT give up.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Make sure you also include some strength training - planks and side planks are particularly good. Strengthening your core keeps you stable, reduces the stress on your joints, makes running/walking more comfortable, and reduces injury. Check out "Chi-Running" or the POSE method for technique. There may not be one right way to run, but there's plenty of wrong ones. Be patient with yourself and good luck!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I will point out that finishing last still puts you way ahead of the people sitting on the couch not exercising.

I see that a lot of people suggested walking then power walking before starting C25k. When you are finally ready for C25k. There is nothing keeping you from doing a day or a week over and over again until you feel like moving on.

Running isn't about beating everyone else, it's about competing against yourself. Whether that is breaking a personal record or just completing a goal you've set for yourself it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing.

And that being said, running is just good to disconnect and not stress about anything. If you don't want to worry about times or distance... don't. Just throw on some quality running shoes and run/walk/whatever until you are done.

and if it turns out it's not for you, plenty of other options to get your exercise on.

I started getting back in shape at 241lbs which made my BMI 37.5. I started trying to run because I was told it was the biggest calorie burn for my time spent. I started on the treadmill at the back of the gym all the way on the end so if I did anything stupid I wouldn't embarass myself. Originally I couldn't manage a 1/2 mile without having to sprinkle in a walk. The first time I ran an unbroken mile it was quite the accomplishment and the first time I had done so since little league (like 30 years ago). I now LOVE running, I'm annoyed that other than races I don't dare run outside until april or so because of the snow/ice but at least I have the gym.

I'm sorry I've gone off on a tangent. Basically work your way up, so as slow as you need, and be happy that running can be all about personal accomplishment and you are the only yardstick you need to measure against.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I double like the idea of sprint triathlon training. The variety also reduces boredom.