advice needed from strength training folk - part 2

Options
me again! :)

now i have a new question and didn't want it lost in my other post. thanks in advance for your help.

i'm wondering...should i quit insanity and focus on new forms of strength training? it sounds like, from some of the replies from my other question, that insanity isn't going to benefit me long term?? i spent lots of money for it, and it has definitely reshaped my body, but i'm totally open to new options now that i'm in a new place fitness-wise. this is a journey afterall, right?? my workouts should change as i change.

what are your thoughts on me contining to use insanity? i love that it gives me cardio and strength training...but maybe i'm overdoing it at this point.

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My opinion would be to stop doing it and start a proper beginner weight training routine.
  • ethereed
    Options
    I will rent your Insanity discs from you for a time because I want to try it. And I've got some weights you can borrow if you want to start and don't want to part with more moola. But will wait for folks who do this stuff regularly to respond. (sorta bump)
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has to be one or the other. I personally like doing weights 3x a week so I don't loose my strength but I like doing cardio 2-3x a week as well so I don't loose my cardio fitness. I'd rather be a well rounded athlete.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    www.stronglifts.com is a 3 day/week program designed to teach you how to lift.
    It starts with the bar weight and slowly progresses you up every time you lift.
    If nutrition is in place you should hit about 200lb squat in 12-14weeks.

The squat has a hormonal trigger that helps you lose fat.
    Master it!

The lifting program focuses on the big 5 and will hit the entire body every week.
    Use the smartphone app to track progress and utilize the timer so you get proper rest between sets.

To figure out how much you should be eating use this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Keep in mind when setting MFP to the Road Map setting you WONT be eating back any cals till you are ready to bulk.
    While cutting you just eat the static number every day.

PM and FR if you need anything.
    =D
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has to be one or the other. I personally like doing weights 3x a week so I don't loose my strength but I like doing cardio 2-3x a week as well so I don't loose my cardio fitness. I'd rather be a well rounded athlete.

I prefer running to insanity so i guess i'm wondering also...do i consider insanity JUST as cardio?? or is there any strength building benefit left for me? if it's purely cardio at this point (or just muscle maintainment, or whatever you'd call that), then i'd rather run. running is good for my soul...insanity is not. :)

thanks so much, dan, for the recommendation!! that sounds like an excellent place for me to start. i'm excited!!!