Help for Ideas on Healthy Pizza

Options
Rocio2382
Rocio2382 Posts: 15 Member
This weekend im making my own healthy pizza. I have wheat crust, a low cal. pizza sauce... now im just thinking what toppings to put. Any suggestions? esp. w cheese... Whats good to use for cheese topping?

Replies

• ShawndaSallee
    ShawndaSallee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "meals" to make when I want something filling that is still good on the calorie count is this pizza that I make. ANNNND it’s really easy! Ingredients:Two whole wheat tortillas-- or two whole grain depending on what you want your calorie count to be.1 can of stewed or diced tomatoesBaby bella mushroomsGreen and Red Peppers choppedRaw baby spinachChopped onions your choice of color¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese¼ cup of feta cheese Directions: Layer the two tortillas so that it is strong enough to support all your veggies. No need to use butter in between or anything like that. Dip out your desired amount of tomatoes and drizzle the desired amount of juice also. Pile on your mushrooms, peppers, spinach, and onions. Use no more than a ¼ cup of the shredded cheese, and no more than a ¼ cup of feta. This will jack up your calorie count. Buuuut just a sprinkle will add some great flavor to this meal. Bake at 375-425 for 10-12 mins depending on temp and desired crispy-ness of crust. This is a VERY filling, tasty, and healthy option to any pizza. The calorie count is 415 for the WHOLE pizza but may vary depending on brands/products used.
  • binderde
    Options
    Feta cheese works well, veggies wise just go nuts, veggies are low in calories so green and red peppers, onions, mushrooms, stay away from black olives they have a ton of sodium.
  • ShawndaSallee
    ShawndaSallee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions? esp. w cheese... Whats good to use for cheese topping?

Mozerella is low cal and just a sprinkle feta can really add flavor and its also really low cal!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You didn't ask for crust recipes, but I saw a recipe on MFP for making a pizza crust with grated zucchini. If you're interested, just search "zucchini pizza crust" and it'll come up. Either way, enjoy your pizza! It's the dinner that I miss the most!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I would get a really pungent cheese. I find if you get a hard block of asiago or parmesean and fresh grate it, you really don't need much at all to get a huge dose of flavor. You can still use reg grated, but I would definitely recommend adding some of the parm or asiago - use the fine grater so that it grates fluffy - goes a lot further. :)

I use fat free salsa instead of sauce. Tends to have less sugar, and therefore less calories. Or just use sliced tomatoes on your base.

I always add spinach to my pita pizza's(Balady is my whole wheat pita brand). the spinach shrinks down so well - so pile it on and then hold it down with your other toppings, and you know you are getting a ton of nutrients from it. If you do use the spinach just remember the water content that will come out - so I now try to bake on parchement over a grill rack to make sure it keeps crispy. I will usually add mushrooms, peppers, artichoke hearts (if I have them), little red onion, sometimes some chopped kalamata olives - heck I have even added some chopped brocolli if I am wanting to boost it.

You can totally make a great healthy, feels like a treat meal -

Yum! Enjoy!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    I like to make healthy white pizza. I use whole wheat boboli pizza crust. I brush it with fresh garlic & olive oil, maybe some basil and/or parsley. (if I'm trying to conserve calories, I leave out the olive oil, it's perfectly fine dry) Low fat mozzerella cheese, maybe some feta & then from there the possibilities are endless! I usually just use what I have on hand, but these are my favorite toppings in any combination: spinach, grilled chicken, ren onions, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, artichokes, and I love to use up any leftover veggies I have in the fridge. I roast alot of veggies in my house, so throwing them on pizza is awesome - broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus....anything you want. That's the beauty of pizza. I use a generic white pizza recipe I entered in MFP, using the Boboli w/w crust with 2 cups of cheese & veggies, it comes out to around 180 calories a slice if cut into 8 slices, add a few extra calories for chicken. Not a bad deal, especially since it's delicous. Actually, might be too good since it's hard to not eat more than two pieces. Eat a salad first to semi-fill you up.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Veggies!

Sliced tomatoes, black olives, onions, green pepper!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    lots of good suggestions! bump!!
  • ALM0418
    Options
    http://www.pepperlynn.com/2012/01/fresh-greek-pizza-with-homemade-tzatziki/

Just made this last night, it's so good and really healthy! I didn't make the dough, just used whole wheat pitas instead.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Chicken, pineapple and jalepenos. It sounds strange, but when I took that first bite, I was converted for life! Try it, it's amazing.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I find that most of the calories come from the crust. Therefore, I will use 90 calorie Italian Flat out, a 210 calorie artisan flatbread or a homemade riced cauliflower crust. I like lots of cheese on my pizza, so I save the calories for that. Using a small amount of goat cheese, which is really strong, will give you lots of flavor.
  • Rocio2382
    Rocio2382 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOU IDEAS, IM SURE TO USE THEM. I've had a taste for pizza so this is perfect! :D