Finding the time to exercise.. Single Mum works Full time

Options
I work full time, I'm a single mum so my lil boy is at home with me all week - I do breakfast club run in the morning then shoot to work then leg it from work to pick up from afterschool club. Hectic job but one which involves sitting down most of the day!. No time for exercise. Once home, its dinner, homework, bath, tv and..........zzzzzz!
A couple of years ago I was in a job where a few of us went running almost every lunchtime - OMG - my whole shape changed. I had cheekbones for the first time ever! then.. I changed jobs and now just sit down allll day long. I'm really busy so dont get out at lunchtime here.
Any suggestions......? xx

Replies

• kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I deal with the same thing but I get up at 4:45 to work out in the morning. I work at a CPA firm so this time of year I am working 50+ hours a week, and my son has school and extracurricular activities.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Yea, morning workouts or after he's in bed if evening is easier for you. Walking on lunch?
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That is a super tough schedule. I'm not a single mom, but I do work quite long hours. I find that the only way I can fit exercise in is to do it before my children wake up. Having said that, I totally understand that you might not have the energy, but it's what works for me. I do DVD's at 5:00 a.m. in the basement :), and I also go running at that hour. I actually have grown to love it...quiet me time. When I was a single mom a few years back--I would have a friend come over for a bit to watch them so I could go for a run. maybe twice a week...hope that helps.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks, because sleep is a rare commodity as a parent anyway, but you might have to wake up an hour earlier or stay up an hour later to fit it in. Is there something you can have your son do for an hour in the evenings after dinner to keep him occupied while you workout to a DVD or your own at home routine?
  • marilynbauer
    marilynbauer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am single mom and I work also so I was hoping to respond. I have a fitness coworker at work so we have been walking daily and we just increased it to 2 miles per day. I also use fitness pal which is a big help. After reading your post I see that exercise during work is not an option for you. When my son was in Elementary School I would walk 2 miles per day once I put him on the bus, then go to work. Sometimes I would walk in the evening. Now that my son started Middle School and goes to school so much later, I started the walk at work during lunchtime. I have an excercise bike that I really use a lot for the evenings. I would love to join a gym but its too hard and expensive for me to work it into my schedule right now. I have also had my son to go walking, jogging, riding bikes with me also to incorporate more exercise.

Like all things it is possible to do it if you want to. You will need to find creative ways to increase exercise into your day. You may need to plan on 15 minute exercise breaks a day, or something like that inorder to be able to find a way. Good luck and encouragement. Marilyn
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are busy, but if you really want to do it, you need to find the time. A friend of mine actually schedules her workouts in her calendar as an appointment. It helps keep her accountable and, for her, if it's in there then there should be no excuse why she can't do it (pending any unforeseen circumstances). Maybe that would work for you? Or get up early and work out before you start your day?
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You're making excuses, you'll make time if you want it bad enough.

Wake up earlier, go to bed later, go for a walk or a hike with your son, while he's occupied doing something put in an exercise DVD, look on youtube for exercise videos (I found a lot that were only 10 minutes), dance...
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Either skip the TV time or workout while you watch TV I usually will put a workout video on my laptop and put that in front of the TV and do the video while I watch TV.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I work full-time and am a single mom of 3 boys. I get up at 5am to workout. That's the only time that I can do it consistently because, as you know, evenings can get a little hectic and I just don't have the focus or energy for a workout in the evening. I workout 5-6 days/week.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    Can you get at least a walk in at lunch? Get up early and do a Dvd before your son gets up. Or workout after you tuck him in. These are only suggestions because I never figured it out when my kids were small. Good luck. :embarassed:
  • sally414
    Options
    Maybe you can find a workout DVD to do at home? Half of it in the morning, half of it later at night? Depending on the age of your child, maybe he/she can join in or even bounce around the room with you!

Good for you to try and keep activity in your life despite a hectic schedule. I hope you find something that works!
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom as well, and not sure how old your son is, but my daughter is soon to be 10. When I go for a walk I take her with me, or sometimes we do Wii activities together. It's a good way to encourage her to be active as well. I don't encourage her joining in on some of the more strenous DVD's I do occasionally but she loves Turbo Jam. :smile:
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Wake up earlier, go to bed later, go for a walk or a hike with your son, while he's occupies doing something put in an exercise DVD, look on youtube for exercise videos (I found a lot that were only 10 minutes), dance...

I agree 100%! You'll find time if you really want it. Otherwise you'll find excuses!
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

Wake up earlier, go to bed later, go for a walk or a hike with your son, while he's occupies doing something put in an exercise DVD, look on youtube for exercise videos (I found a lot that were only 10 minutes), dance...
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm a single mom to two kids. I work 50+ a week, and my commute is about 1 hr per day.
    I decided the best way (for me) to work out, is to incorporate my kids into it. We do taekwondo together, my daughters class is right before the class my son and I take together. It's not only been a GREAT workout, it also has been a great social experience, and it's much better than getting home and sitting on our butts watching TV every night :)
    Also, if it's been a particularly stressful week, I'll go on Weds nights, and the Friday nights I don't have my kids.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom with 3 kiddos, work and go to a university full time so I completely understand you. When our gym goes back to regular hours, I go at 5:30am or after they are asleep. Other times when I am not able to leave the house, when they go to sleep I use a workout dvd that I have. Not my favorite but it is at least doing something. Good luck!
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    Me too! I get up at 5:00 a.m. to work out. I like the quiet time in the morning.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I was a single mom of two so I understand how difficult it can be. Try finding exercises that your son can do with you like fitness games on gaming systems. I personally like the hula hoop and one of my co-workers has just started doing it with her daughter. I hoop at work twice a day for 15 to 20 minutes at a time while my co-workers have their smoke break. Remember that you will be setting a great example for your son by making exercise a priority.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I already wake up at 4am so morning workouts wouldnt be an option. Night time workouts would have to be my option if I have a kiddo. Although I honestly dont know how you would budget.

If they are little can you do a stroller and a fast walk or get them to walk with you? Gosh I honestly dont know