Starting a fresh! - tips o prevent binge eating please

Options
Ive been on and off this site for a while. I tend to lose 5/6 lbs then end up having a mass binge session, going without exercising and putting the weight back on so end up back at square one. I NEED to do it this time and i am soooo determined to succeed!! However i need to try to beat the issue of emotional and binge eating through boredom

Has anyone got any tips to prevent binge eating in the evenings as that really is my problem. Im going to try to go to bed earlier and have a glass of water to take the edge off any hunger/cravings but any other suggestions are more than welcome!!

Thanks x

Replies

• KKM89
    KKM89 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have the exact same problem .. it's so frustrating & discouraging! I had read in cosmo that when you have a sweet craving, take 1 or 2 chewable vitamin c's, I haven't tried it yet though.

I'm going to keep watching this post to see what other people suggest! Thanks for posting this & good luck
  • l3uttel2flie
    Options
    Ive been on and off this site for a while. I tend to lose 5/6 lbs then end up having a mass binge session, going without exercising and putting the weight back on so end up back at square one. I NEED to do it this time and i am soooo determined to succeed!! However i need to try to beat the issue of emotional and binge eating through boredom

Has anyone got any tips to prevent binge eating in the evenings as that really is my problem. Im going to try to go to bed earlier and have a glass of water to take the edge off any hunger/cravings but any other suggestions are more than welcome!!

Thanks x

I've found that keep healthy snacks (especially ones high in protein) help me, as well as increasing water intake. Often your body confuses thirst for hunger. Most importantly take your time eating.... that's the biggest problem... if you eat too fast your body can register that you're full fast enough. Hope that helps. :) Good luck!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is to have a good amount of protein and good fats at dinner time (around 6PM) that way I will feel fuller longer and if I do start to feel a little hungry I will drink water. By eating dinner around 6PM that can usually hold me for at least 3 to 4 hours which by then is bedtime. But if I do get hungry I try to just have some nuts and stay away from carbs and sugar.

Hope this helps. God bless you with your efforts. You can do it.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way! I have to start at the grocery store. If I don't buy foods I know I like to binge on (ice cream, chips, pretzels) I can't eat them. Then when I know I'm not hungry but want to munch, I don't have those things to tempt me. I do like having some edamame to munch on if I feel the need because you can salt or season it and its high in protein and fiber.

Also portioning things off into single-servings helps. I used to cook what I meant to be 2-3 nights worth of dinner but eat it all at once just because it was there. If I only make one serving - I'm done.
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    Binge eating at night has always been my problem, too. When I feel like I'm going to slip, I pop a 100 calorie pack of popcorn. It's a TON of popcorn, I usually end up splitting it with my fiance. If you eat it piece by piece it takes a long time to eat it all, so that helps with the boredom eating. And since it's only 100 calories it doesn't un-do my whole day.
  • JennyJG
    JennyJG Posts: 27
    Options
    First of all - Good for you for getting back up again!

For me - high protein snacks during the day. A boiled egg, handful of almonds in between meals. Or else I end up eating a whole bag of sugary candy to make up for what my body is missing through being too restrictive.

Also - strangely - I eat grapefruit like crazy when I am craving sugar/salt snacks. Don't know why it works, but it takes the edge off. Also, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar has worked at times (other times not)

Best of luck to you, girl!
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I've been trying not to eat at all after 7pm. I also drink water to keep away the munchies. I brush and floss my teeth after eating dinner. That way, I guilt myself for having to do it again if I am craving a bad food after dinner. I have been trying to remove myself from the house, ie. going for an evening walk after I wash the dishes, instead of sitting in front of the computer or TV. I like doing this or hatha (sp) yoga in the evening...even if it is just for 20 minutes. It removes me from thinking about food, at least for a while. If I just *have* to have that bad item, I look for the serving size and adhere to that portion, than just mindlessly pouring the chips in a bowl or serving myself 2-3 scoops of icecream instead of just one. This makes me feel more accountable. This site also helps me alot. If I sign in on here between dinner and bedtime and see I only have so many calories I can use, I make sure that if I chose to eat after dinner, the serving size is within my calorie deficit. That way I won't feel like I need to add one more exercise to be under my goal for the day. Good luck! I hope these tips help you! I hate not being under my goal on a day I know I could have easily achieve that!
  • NaturalMom
    Options
    I struggle with emotional eating, too. I agree with all the suggestions made regarding grocery shopping and high protein meals/snacks. I can't always stop with dessert, tho, and have been attempting to modify my evening habit to instead include a cup of hot tea. Somehow the tea is soothing and keeps me from being hungry the rest of the night. Since it has become a habit it is also kind of a signal to my body that I am done eating for the day. Good luck!
  • Jackskip
    Jackskip Posts: 6
    Options
    I find that on the days I can persuade myself to exercise then I am much less lightly to binge eat. Maybe thats because exercise improves mood or because I will drink more water on those days or maybe because I feel better about myself having exercised!
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    Options
    Binge eating at night has always been my problem, too. When I feel like I'm going to slip, I pop a 100 calorie pack of popcorn. It's a TON of popcorn, I usually end up splitting it with my fiance. If you eat it piece by piece it takes a long time to eat it all, so that helps with the boredom eating. And since it's only 100 calories it doesn't un-do my whole day.
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    Options
    Great advice, thanks! I love this thread because this probably my biggest problem too:grumble:
    I just bought a bunch of the 100 cal popcorn, in different flavors, and i've been making sure i save 100 of my daily calories for that hour right before bed. So far it's been doing the trick - tastes great and makes me feel nice and full.
    Going to bed on an empty stomach makes me angry :mad: and being angry makes me want to EAT until the resentment fades... this is one of the best solutions i've found!:drinker:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Binge eating happens for one of two reasons. One is emotional. The other is you're not eating enough calories. Eat at least 1200 calories a day and make sure you are eating enough protein and fiber. Eat 5-6 times a day. Keep the junk out of the house. It is doubtful you're going to binge on pears. LOL If you are hungry, drink a huge glass of water and eat something light, like a peach or plum. It takes time to overcome the emotion behind binge eating, but if you control it by making sure you're not hungry at all, you will get closer to that goal. :)
  • FitnessbyFaith
    Options
    I am the exact same way. Binge eating is so common. I agree with the sugguestions that have already been posted here, they all have worked for me. The only other things that I can think to add is try to wait it out. I've learned that if you are not hungry or thirsty if you wait for like 10-15mins and occupy yourself with something that you enjoy to past the time then the urge will past. Also if I know that I am just bored and not actually hungry I will get up and workout. After I workout, I don't want to sabbatoge my efforts. I think with that one it is just mind over matter. Good luck, I hope this helps!
  • Emmagarratt2010
    Options
    Thank you, great suggestions there :) x
  • natalia221
    Options
    When I had my ED I was a terrible binge eater. I got into a cycle of binging then I wouldnt eat -binge, not eat. I have found that if I try to "diet" it triggers my binge eating. Now I just work out everyday and eat healthy meals. Eating breakfast also helps.

You will get it this time! Good luck!
  • wannabe
    wannabe Posts: 29
    Options
    when you deny yourself a lot of types of food you love you put that food up on a pedestal and give it more power. dont give it that power. its just food,,,,,you just eat to stay alive. thats what i have to remind myself. its not entertainment its just energy you need. get a new hobby for entertainment, try going for a bikeride or painting or going out with friends, and dont deny yourself too MANY things just deny yourself too MUCH of things. go ahead, have one bite of brownie. and then go for a walk