Help with selecting a suit. Please.

Options
smittybuilt19
smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
Yesterday, my instructor informed me that starting this semester, there would be a mock interview for those of us on track to graduate in May. This will be my second professional interview. The first I wore a shirt and tie and dress pants. My instructor said he would be expecting a suit and tie. I have never owned a suit. So, this is where MFPals come in to save the day and help me succeed in securing a job. Btw, he said that he intends to bring in a few local industry professionals to administer the interview, which could turn this mock interview into "the real deal."

So I ask...where do I start when selecting a suit? For an idea of budget, I am a full time student and will have to quit my job in 7 weeks in order to work an unpaid Co-op for 8 weeks. Thanks folks!

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    thrift stores in or near affluent areas and then get it tailored to fit you perfectly. you will spend a quarter of the cost and look like a million bucks.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'd just go to Men's Warehouse, get a $200 suit and get it tailored. You MUST get it fitted and tailored. Men without tailored suits stick out like a sore thumb...it's obvious and makes a bad impression. A cheap suit can look good if it fits well. The guys there can size you etc.

Interview suits should be charcoal. Maybe dark blue. Never dark black, you are not an FBI agent or attending a funeral. No light colored suits.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Yes, a good tailor can be your friend, for sure.

Avoid double-breasted suits or odd colors.

For a job interview basic navy or charcoal or dark brown with perhaps a subtle tweed or pinstripe pattern would be great. Also, wear your eye color in your tie or shirt or the stripe of your suit. Emphasizing one's eye color helps get one's point across in an interview.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I'd just go to Men's Warehouse, get a $200 suit and get it tailored. You MUST get it fitted and tailored. Men without tailored suits stick out like a sore thumb...it's obvious and makes a bad impression. A cheap suit can look good if it fits well. The guys there can size you etc.

This about the sizing, you don't want your sleeves over your hands so you have to pull your sleeves up to shake hands..
    Plus nothing crazy, no pin stripes, no white suits, stick with traditional colors (Blue, black) and make sure you match with it.. Have a good belt as well and a tie pin or tie holder... Dress the part.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

I like this idea, as a good suit can be worn on several different occasions, but the wife is already nagging about how much it's gonna cost just to get a cheap suit. I don't want to be cheap suit guy!
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    My opinion, as most of you will most likely share, is if I'm going to present myself as the guy for the job I better be dressed that way. It's just tough to justify the expense with my wife. Anyways, just venting, carry on with the advice. I do appreciate it folks!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My opinion, as most of you will most likely share, is if I'm going to present myself as the guy for the job I better be dressed that way. It's just tough to justify the expense with my wife. Anyways, just venting, carry on with the advice. I do appreciate it folks!

every guy needs at least ONE suit. you guys have it easier - one suit, all occasions - and getting it now means you have it for future interviews, meaning that you will get better jobs at the get-go
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I second the Men's Wearhouse plan - they are awesome, always have a great selection and make great recommendations as well as set up all of the needed tailoring.

You get a coupon for filling out their survey after every purchase ($25 OFF $100) - so I usually go in and buy something a couple days before I go in to buy a suit - I can always use an extra shirt, tie or a belt or something.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    For your wife...does she want you to make a good impression and get a job offer? If so, she's going to have to deal with the expense. Even "inexpensive" suits can get a tad pricey with alterations and accessories.

A man that looks good in a suit...few and far between to me (and I see men in suits all day, every day). Why? One of two reasons. It is ill-fitting or the guy just looks plain uncomfortable (because he may not wear suits often?). A great tailoring job is a must and wear it with confidence. Go with charcoal for the interview. I think it's harder to pull off a black suit without looking like you're going to a funeral. Don't forget shoes, socks, belt, and tie...those are all things people will notice as well.
  • Dsmcgrail
    Options
    I second the Men's Wearhouse plan - they are awesome, always have a great selection and make great recommendations as well as set up all of the needed tailoring.

You get a coupon for filling out their survey after every purchase ($25 OFF $100) - so I usually go in and buy something a couple days before I go in to buy a suit - I can always use an extra shirt, tie or a belt or something.

Amazing advice!
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think we are all assuming you are interviewing for a normal business type job. Assuming so, I concur on Charcoal or Navy being preferred. Depending on what your industry is, it may be much more appropriate to go with a non-traditional color.

An alternative to the tailoring is suit separates. Men's Warehouse may offer this but stores like JCPenney definitely do. Separates allow you to get whatever size you need in each part of the suit rather than having a standard pairing. This can be a huge deal because the pants that would come with my jacket would have a waist that is about 5 inches too big and would even be hard to alter. Coming out of college, i could not buy a standard suit because they could not alter the pants small enough due to pockets, seams, etc.

It is important to realize you still may need to alter the coat on your suit separate purchase. Fit is key to making a suit not look cheap imho.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You need to own at least one tailored suit - even if you don't use it daily. Don't forget a dress shirt and dress shoes, too.

Trojanbb has good advice. MW is a good place to go, if you have no idea what you're doing, because you really need someone to help you out, the first time. Unfortunately, it can be hit or miss there. Sometimes you'll get a guy who will try to put you into an old, boxy suit with huge shoulder pads and too-long sleeves. I've bought a few suits there before I knew what I was doing and they suck. If you don't go "WOW" when you put it on, don't buy it, and make them try again.

Read http://masculine-style.com/staple-1-the-suit/

Cheap suits are only horrible when they fit badly or a bad style. I just found a good slim-fit $300 suit on clearance for $99. A few more bucks to tailor it and it will be done. If you keep an eye open, you can cut some good deals.

You probably want a slim-fit cut these days, unless you are significantly overweight.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    The Men's Wearhouse plan is a good one. You can't really go wrong with a navy blue suit as a good all-purpose suit. Don't get separates for a job interview.

If you think you'll wear the suit often enough (church, weddings, work, etc.), consider going to Joseph A Banks. Their quality is a step up from Men's Wearhouse. I've got suits from both stores and definitely prefer the ones from Joseph A Banks. Just make sure you go when they have a sale.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Pick up a grey or navy blue suit. Those colors will go very well with most colored shirts.

Definitely get it tailored. I own about 7-8 suits. I've gotten a few from Men's Warehouse. However the last few that I've gotten I got at Macys. I picked up two, tailored suits for about $300. They're my most favorite suits right now.

For interviews, I'll usually wear a navy blue suit, white shirt, red tie. That's a power suit combination for interviews. Remember to match your belt with your shoes in terms of color. And the tie should land on the belt buckle.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    JOSEPH-A-BAAAAAAAANKS!

Ha ha, I see that commercial all the time, "buy 1 get 3 free!" and deals like that but that store isn't in Canada. I'll have to check it out next time I'm on vaca in Florida to see if its junk or decent.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I like this idea, as a good suit can be worn on several different occasions, but the wife is already nagging about how much it's gonna cost just to get a cheap suit. I don't want to be cheap suit guy!

Just so you know - if you get a good suit and it fits right, she will change her mind and want to rip it off you.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Pick up a grey or navy blue suit. Those colors will go very well with most colored shirts.

Definitely get it tailored. I own about 7-8 suits. I've gotten a few from Men's Warehouse. However the last few that I've gotten I got at Macys. I picked up two, tailored suits for about $300. They're my most favorite suits right now.

For interviews, I'll usually wear a navy blue suit, white shirt, red tie. That's a power suit combination for interviews. Remember to match your belt with your shoes in terms of color. And the tie should land on the belt buckle.

Heck yea^^ I'm loving the advice. Not only where to possibly shop but also how to wear it properly. Awesome. Keep it coming. I've got a few weeks until I need to make a purchase.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

Interview suits should be charcoal. Maybe dark blue. Never dark black, you are not an FBI agent or attending a funeral. No light colored suits.

This.....just this.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I prefer Joseph A. Bank, but Men's Wearhouse is fine as well.

Definitely get it tailored however.
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    JC Penney for sure. They can fit ANY budget and are very very good.