Best foods to get protien for the calorie cost

Options
Just wanted ideas on the best protein to calorie ratio. Thanks!

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Very lean meats like chicken breast, white fish, shellfish like prawns (shrimp), cottage cheese, egg whites. None are necessarily the most nutritious choices tho, you loose a lot of vitamins and minerals when you select the leanest options in each category.
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    i take 2 vitamins a day and eat tons of raw veggies to conteract
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    i take 2 vitamins a day and eat tons of raw veggies to conteract

Supplements are supposed to be supplements not food replacements. Raw veggies are good sources of some vitamins and minerals but they don't supply the full complement, hence eating from multiple food groups to get a balanced diet. You may find you are overeating some nutrients and setting up imbalances, micronutrients work synergistically and in opposition some can be stored and some cannot. You also don't mention essential fatty acids.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast. 1/3 of the calories (roughly) are expended just to digest it.
  • Mverdecia1
    Options
    The Tuna I get at target (market basket brand) has 100 calories and 22 grams of protein for the container.... I miss it with olive oil mayo (35 cal/tbsp) garlic, red, onion, salt, pepper, fat free feta cheese (35 cal per 1/4 of a cup) and stuff it in a low cal pita pocket or eat it plain! (See my food diary for lunch today).