Replies

• grizzlywes24
    Options
    May the force be with you man! Star Wars > Star Trekk
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I run stats for an international sports organization,
    have a Baroness cosplay costume I made myself hanging in the closet along wtih my swords, thowing hawks, staff and 12thc. scadian garb,
    am a Rebel Alliance weapons runner,
    went to the vulcan science academy,
    am wandering life with an airbender who can stand my yin chi,
    and do yoga against the wishes of my Pope.

does that turn you on?
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    As a teenager I would flip through channels on tv. What was I drawn to? Oh no, not cartoons... discovery channel... for some reason my favorite documentary always included ants or any marine animal.

To this day, anything like that still interests me, but I pretty much expanded it to anything science or history related. I rather know things then care about what some orange oompa loompa is wearing!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Preview?imageID=627067&generatorTypeID=&panels=&text0=Actually&text1=It%27s%20only%20about%20this%20big!&text2=&text3=
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    15qevk6.gif
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yup, need to fully read this when I get home.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    People have heard of black holes for years, even if they don't really understand what they are. Quasars are a brand of televisions to most people.

Quasars are amazing to me, simply because they are so distant. Also because they have decided that they are (or were) super massive black holes at the center of distant galaxies consuming massive amounts of stellar material.

Black holes and quasars both fascinate me and freak me right out. lol

And dark matter. WTF.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    have a Baroness cosplay costume I made myself hanging in the closet along wtih my swords, thowing hawks, staff and 12thc. scadian garb,
    Oh yeah... :smile:
    went to the vulcan science academy,
    Oh.... yeah... :happy:
    am wandering life with an airbender who can stand my yin chi,
    Oh.... YEAH :love:
    does that turn you on?
    I'm gonna friggin' LOSE it over here! :flowerforyou: j/k

That airbender comment made me wanna make a "Robo-Maid" joke (hint: "SpaceBalls"), but I don't want this thread to get locked! :glasses:
  • coolraul07
    Options
    As a teenager I would flip through channels on tv. What was I drawn to? Oh no, not cartoons... discovery channel... for some reason my favorite documentary always included ants or any marine animal.

To this day, anything like that still interests me, but I pretty much expanded it to anything science or history related. I rather know things then care about what some orange oompa loompa is wearing!
    ^^THIS, except that I watched cartoons too. However, I'm ancient (40) so I remember what life was like with only 4-5 TV channels and cartoons only aired on Saturday mornings and on holidays! I grew up watching a lot of PBS nature and science shows/documentaries. Got a cable as a 13th birthday present... a whopping 25-30 channels and none of them expanded my science/nature repetoire.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I think I got you beat...I watched the first go around of TOS Star Trek reruns...in black & white!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    when I was a kid I practiced changing the tv and radio channels with my mind. Too much Dr. Who, In Search Of, Gatchaman episodes or something. We got cable with a remote when I was 12. Felt kinda gypped. Man, did Star Wars F up everyone like that, or just me? Since technology has advanced I am actually extremely happy to be living with star trek technology. Who'da thought that the stuff I watched as a kid would be around in my lifetime? Lasers, bluetooth, tablets..... If I weren't so Jedi I'd say I had gone into Vulcan heat.

Spaceballs..... funny movie. Still think the Fifth Element is the best scifi comedy out there yet. I am a hugeeee fan of the Chronicles of Rid****. Have all three movies and seriously thought of moving to the D.R. just to see if I could get a part as a furian extra. Anyone else excited about that series?

I have a dream of showing up to a Con dressed as a stewardess, and someone dressed as Corbin, etc.
    The-Fifth-Element-the-fifth-element-7390466-1920-1200.jpg
  • coolraul07
    Options
    Spaceballs..... funny movie.
    Have watched about a billion-three times! "Comb the desert!"
    Still think the Fifth Element is the best scifi comedy out there yet.
    Am ashamed to admit that I haven't watched yet. :embarassed: I'm allergic to watching movies for the first time somewhere in the middle and that's where I always catch it (damn you TBS and TNT!) Really no longer an excuse cuz I have NetFlix now. I promise that it's in my streaming queue (2013 version of "the check's in the mail").
  • ChecktheRhyme
    ChecktheRhyme Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen promos for that King of the Nerds show on TBS? Is that just rage inducing or what?
  • coolraul07
    Options
    I think I got you beat...I watched the first go around of TOS Star Trek reruns...in black & white!

For the tie: I first watched in syndication, mid-to-late 70s on a 10" B&W TV that took 2-3 min to warm-up. Turn it on, go fix sandwich, come back and wait 5 more seconds.

How about that?
  • coolraul07
    Options
    Has anyone seen promos for that King of the Nerds show on TBS? Is that just rage inducing or what?
    I have seen it several times; will DVR and plan to watch while on treadmill. Reminds me a little of "Beauty and the Geek"... without the 'beauty' part!
  • VelvetMornings
    Options
    What's it about?? The title alone sounds irritating..
  • ChecktheRhyme
    Options
    Spaceballs..... funny movie.
    Have watched about a billion-three times! "Comb the desert!"

"WE AIN'T FOUND ****."
  • ChecktheRhyme
    Options
    What's it about?? The title alone sounds irritating..

From what I gather, I think they're going to put a bunch of "geeks" together in one house and eliminate one each week? I'm not quite sure. He's a promo from one girl that just makes me wanna tear my hair out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOIQeUQDKJI
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options

^^THIS, except that I watched cartoons too. However, I'm ancient (40) so I remember what life was like with only 4-5 TV channels and cartoons only aired on Saturday mornings and on holidays! I grew up watching a lot of PBS nature and science shows/documentaries. Got a cable as a 13th birthday present... a whopping 25-30 channels and none of them expanded my science/nature repetoire.

40 here too....favorite TV show was 3-2-1 Contact on PBS.....loved how they solved mysteries using science.....so then we'd do do the experiments....so fun.

Bill Nye...another younger-me Fave.

Alton Brown for the nerdy cooking science.....

And Nat Geo and NOVA are about all we watch on TV anymore. (Was watching a show last night about the Sounds of the Universe....and pulsars that spin at 179 rpm!!!! Mindblowing!)
  • VelvetMornings
    Options
    You know what, I'd probably watch this show to see how I'd rank.