Travel to Kilkenny, Ireland

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
If anyone has been to Kilkenny specifically, please tell me your "Do not miss this attraction" and "Eh... it wasn't that cool, you could skip it" suggestions.

I want to be slightly more organized when I head over this time *LOL*

*MWAH!!*

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I haven't been. I just wanted you to know I am soooo jealous.
  • odusgolp
    Options

*smoooooches* So excited to go back. It's like... really expensive therapy for me every other year *LOL*
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous too :sad:
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Another for Jealous! Can't offer any advice, but enjoy it!

JM
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    :grumble:

take me in your suitcase...i fold up small!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Crank :) You know I'd love to :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    If anyone has been to Kilkenny specifically, please tell me your "Do not miss this attraction" and "Eh... it wasn't that cool, you could skip it" suggestions.

*MWAH!!*
    It's a dump. There's nothing in it. :smile:
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    JEALOUS!!!!! :grumble:
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    There wasn't anything in Kilkenny that really lit my fire, it was fun drinking with the locals though. I would head further west, hit the Ring of Kerry or Dingle pennisula. Galway was a lot of fun too.
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I was there in 2006 but only for a day or so (stopped on the way to Dublin). I just remember it was a a really nice town (great castle and gardens) - very busy though. We had a tough time finding accomodations. I'm actually headed to Killarney and Dublin in about 6 weeks and soooo excited!
  • odusgolp
    Options

*MWAH!!*

No no no... DUBLIN is a dump. J/k :) I'll be there too, and am thinking of getting a tattoo while there if you know of a good tattoo artist.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    There wasn't anything in Kilkenny that really lit my fire, it was fun drinking with the locals though. I would head further west, hit the Ring of Kerry or Dingle pennisula. Galway was a lot of fun too.

We were in Dingle the last trip for 10 day s:) Kilkenny it is this trip. We sort of just drink the whole time and play music in local pubs, *LOL*
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

We were in Dingle the last trip for 10 day s:) Kilkenny it is this trip. We sort of just drink the whole time and play music in local pubs, *LOL*

That's really the only way to go, lots of drinking and music, it isn't far to waterford from there and that was pretty cool. The only thing we did in Kilkenny was hang out at the castle park, that was really nice. As for Dublin, definitely check out Temple Bar area and Trinity college has the book of Kells if you are a history nerd at all.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options

I triple vote for Dingle. Loved loved loved it here. And see for me, Galway wasn't anything special.

I love the Wicklow mountains. I hope to be able to hike/camp the entire Wicklow Way within the next few years (as soon as the kids can carry their own packs).

Edited for mental note: before posting, read more responses...I see you've already visited Dingle. Might I then suggest Donegal?
  • Thomasm198
    Options

*MWAH!!*

No no no... DUBLIN is a dump. J/k :) I'll be there too, and am thinking of getting a tattoo while there if you know of a good tattoo artist.
    There's a load of tattoo places in Dublin. I've heard good things about "Dragon Tattoo" on Talbot Street. A few of my friends have gotten all their tattoos done there.
  • Thomasm198
    Options

That's really the only way to go, lots of drinking and music, it isn't far to waterford from there and that was pretty cool. The only thing we did in Kilkenny was hang out at the castle park, that was really nice. As for Dublin, definitely check out Temple Bar area and Trinity college has the book of Kells if you are a history nerd at all.
    Just make sure and get out of Temple Bar before sunset. It can get a bit "rowdy" because of all the bars and nightclubs.

If you're into weird things to do when you're in Dublin: visit Saint Michan's Church and have a look at the mummies in the crypts. It's rumoured that Bram Stoker got some of his ideas for Dracula from seeing the mummies.
  • odusgolp
    Options

*MWAH!!*

There's a load of tattoo places in Dublin. I've heard good things about "Dragon Tattoo" on Talbot Street. A few of my friends have gotten all their tattoos done there.

Also, how far is Newgrange from Dublin? And are you going to take me?? :)
  • odusgolp
    Options

Just make sure and get out of Temple Bar before sunset. It can get a bit "rowdy" because of all the bars and nightclubs.

If you're into weird things to do when you're in Dublin: visit Saint Michan's Church and have a look at the mummies in the crypts. It's rumoured that Bram Stoker got some of his ideas for Dracula from seeing the mummies.

THAT I'd love to see. When I was there last year, I did Temple bar, Brazenhead, Book of Kells, Modern Art Museum, and kilmainham gaol (which was my favorite).

This time, I want to see the Book of Kells again (I was... a bit drunk), Guinness Brewery, and now Saint Michan's Church.
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    Also, how far is Newgrange from Dublin? And are you going to take me?? :)
    Newgrange is about a 50 minute drive from Dublin city.
  • _Xtine
    _Xtine Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to live vicariously through you if that's okay. <sigh> :ohwell: