1200 and calorie cycling?

Options
Is anyone else at 1200 calories daily and upping their calories 2-3 days a week by 200-300 cal to cycle? And is it working out for you? So far it seems to have broken my 3 week stall.

Replies

• Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm meant to be on 1200 a day & I was curious to know if you ever feel hungry etc? I'm worried it won't be enough for me lol (first day on here)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i do 1200 calories a day, of good nutrient dense foods, and every 15 days, i go up to 100% over my maintenence calories... i started this in september at 246 pounds, and right now im weighing in at 195... it workd for me, it works for my lifestyle, and my dr is happy with my progress... im 32 and 5 foot 10.
  • jasminetoi
    jasminetoi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I cant manage 1200 a day....im starving all day....i can do about 1400 and just have to go hard in the gym...trying to eat more protein to make me feel fuller longer
  • Kcneufville
    Kcneufville Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this as well. On the days I cycle, I'm burning tons of calories and I don't know if I should up my food intake for the day or if I should keep it the way it is. I haven't lost any weight in about two weeks now...
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    There is a lot of debate on eating back exercise calories. I always eat mine back and have been very successful.

Use this instead of the 1200 calories that they literally assign everyone: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I spin/cycle on a regular basis. On days that I go 2+ hrs at a hard pace, or cycle outside hard pace, I will up my cal if am hungry with an extra complex carb. For now, hitting all my food groups & staying within the 1200 cal is getting me to my goal weight. I don't get tired or feel deprived. ( And I still eat the chocolate every day, too.)
    On another note, if I don't eat a healthy, cal-dense, whole-foods then it really shows in my abiilty to keep my cardio maintained at excellent pace. Also, if I eat garbage food then I go AT too much, sweat like a pig, and find it difficult to keep heart rate at a steady pace.
    Eat healthy. If you get hungry, eat more but make sure its healthy. Good luck.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of debate on eating back exercise calories. I always eat mine back and have been very successful.

Use this instead of the 1200 calories that they literally assign everyone: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Just remember that the Road Map is optimal for fat loss.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Probably because you should be eating more than 1200 calories a day anyway!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

mfp didnt assign me 1200, it assigned me almost 1400... it was my dr who said i could go as low as 1200 if i wanted to use a couple days as splurge days... so i do 1200 cals 28 days a month and up to 4000 cals 2 days a month, it averages out to just about 1400 cals a day at the end of the month... i like it because if i dont have an opportunity to splurge, then i just give up all together... i know me, and i have finally found what works for me after years and years of failed weight loss attempts!
  • envbj77
    envbj77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been sticking to the 1200 pretty much every day, sometime I'm shy of it but usually never over. Unless it's a special occasion. I went 3 weeks without an ounce of loss and I wonder now if it's because 1200 is not enough.

I wonder if it's because I didn't count last saturday and had an amazing dinner that it pushed me through. Yesterday I went over by about 300-400 calories and today I'm sticking to the 1200 calories to see if it makes a difference.

I am really confused as MFP says 1200 cal a day whether I want to lose 1/2 - 2 lbs per week. I'm open to any thoughts.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    I spin/cycle on a regular basis. On days that I go 2+ hrs at a hard pace, or cycle outside hard pace, I will up my cal if am hungry with an extra complex carb. For now, hitting all my food groups & staying within the 1200 cal is getting me to my goal weight. I don't get tired or feel deprived. ( And I still eat the chocolate every day, too.)
    On another note, if I don't eat a healthy, cal-dense, whole-foods then it really shows in my abiilty to keep my cardio maintained at excellent pace. Also, if I eat garbage food then I go AT too much, sweat like a pig, and find it difficult to keep heart rate at a steady pace.
    Eat healthy. If you get hungry, eat more but make sure its healthy. Good luck.

i found the first week or 2 very difficult, but eventually, after playing with foods and recipes, i have actually learned to make very large and filling meals for around 350 calories... even a huge pizza for 280 calories!!! now, after all ive learned in the kitchen these last 4-5 months, i sometimes have to eat crap at the end of the night, just to reach the 1200 mark... you can fit so many veggies and some fruits on a pizza!!! you can add so much fresh spinach to just about anything to double its size but keep it low cal... theres just so many ways to stay full and eat lower cals... im excited each time i create a new recipe!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    I've been sticking to the 1200 pretty much every day, sometime I'm shy of it but usually never over. Unless it's a special occasion. I went 3 weeks without an ounce of loss and I wonder now if it's because 1200 is not enough.

I wonder if it's because I didn't count last saturday and had an amazing dinner that it pushed me through. Yesterday I went over by about 300-400 calories and today I'm sticking to the 1200 calories to see if it makes a difference.

I am really confused as MFP says 1200 cal a day whether I want to lose 1/2 - 2 lbs per week. I'm open to any thoughts.

your profile pic looks like you are close to or even at a healthy weight, that could be why... its harder to lose the closer you get to your bodys healthy weight...
  • FlapMama
    Options
    This is my 5th day on 1200 calories. I was starving the first 3 days, 4th day was ok. Today I only had 250 calories so far (past lunch) and don’t even feel hungry. Maybe my stomach shrunk =). I do not work out, but if I did I would eat my lost calories back.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

You have about the same amount of lbs left to lose like I do, roughly 25. I'm eating 2200 calories on exercise days and 1600 on my rest day. I don't eat back my exercise calories unless my net is under 1600. Depending on your exercise 1200 may be too little
  • lasmit4477
    Options
    As listed in another post, this is a great reference:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You will need to set your account up to losing 1/2 to 1 lb per week. Doing that should not put you at 1200 calories. You will need to find out what your TDEE is and then create a deficit from there, maybe 15-20% from your actual TDEE. Also, if you do not strength train already, I highly recommend it! It will help you achieve the desired body composition that you may be looking for. You may also want to adjust your goals/macros. Maybe doing 35% carbs, 25% fats and 40% protein.
  • Mindfreak1999
    Options
    Hi
    I am on between 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day, my weight has fallen off. Started at 247 lbs, now 166 lbs. Would be glad to share diet and training. Anyone can add me. Be Lucky :smile:
  • lasmit4477
    Options
    Hi
    I am on between 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day, my weight has fallen off. Started at 247 lbs, now 166 lbs. Would be glad to share diet and training. Anyone can add me. Be Lucky :smile:

*Headdesk*
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options

mfp didnt assign me 1200, it assigned me almost 1400... it was my dr who said i could go as low as 1200 if i wanted to use a couple days as splurge days... so i do 1200 cals 28 days a month and up to 4000 cals 2 days a month, it averages out to just about 1400 cals a day at the end of the month... i like it because if i dont have an opportunity to splurge, then i just give up all together... i know me, and i have finally found what works for me after years and years of failed weight loss attempts!

Well, obviously the advice of a doctor trumps advice on an internet forum. ;) However, for those of us who haven't talked to a doctor, it is much safer to go with the higher calorie route.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 1240 calorie per day since September 2012. However, I am not rigid. Because this is a lifestyle change and not a diet, I don't sweat it when we go out to Mexican food for dinner and I go over by 300 calories. That's just real life. I try not to exceed my TDEE even on those days. I've lost 31 pounds so far. However, I'm noticing the past two weeks that I'm stalling on weight loss. I may start cycling with 1400 or so every other day, just to see what happens.

The key for me is this. Everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial. I don't eat 1200 calories of garbage (generally!). I try to pump up my proteins and have been working toward eating more fresh vegetables (not so much fruit because I have to watch my sugar a bit). You'd be amazed at how much food you can eat when you are emphasizing lean protein and fresh vegetables.

Then, I don't feel the least bit bad when I eat something "naughty", because I know that nutritionally, generally, I'm taking care of myself.

Edited to add: Oh and for the record, my doctor said 1240 was fine for me as long as it was a well used 1240 (not five 100 calorie snack packs and a bunch of other low fat garbage).