Free foods

Options
I have started a new diet and I am doing really well at keeping it, but I am unhappy and hungry all the time.

I am doing SlimFast 3-2-1 so I have a shake for breakfast, a snack before lunch like a banana or a yogurt, a shake for lunch, a snack around 2 and a snack around 4 - something like one of their SnackPacks or an apple, and then a 500 calorie dinner. I have done GREAT! No cheating and I have been following calories. Here's the problem. I am STARVING. And I am grouchy. And I actually started crying yesterday because I was so hungry and unhappy.

I have been trying to drink lots of water to convince myself I am full, but that just makes me have to pee more. Is there something I can try that is calorie free or really low calorie. Maybe something to put in the water to curb the appetite? Anything to try is appreciated.

Replies

• Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Scrap the shakes and go for FOOD! Eating a nice wonderful breakfast (ww english muffin, 1-2 pieces of bacon, 1 full egg and 2 whites, maybe a bit of cheese and 1/2 a grapefruit). I gaurentee that you will feel full longer if you scrap those gross shakes and eat some real food.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should scrap the shakes. Pick a calorie goal and stick to it. Myfitnesspal set up one for me (to lose 2 pounds of weight a week ideally I should be eating only 1380 calories) and working out at the gym 5 times per week. Stick to your calories and you will still see results...you dont have to starve yourself, and you will be a lot happier!!
  • orlapmc
    Options
    I know its hard! I just take the shake in the morning and try to eat healthy lunch and dinner.
    Foods rich in fibre can help fill up you. A friend mentioned grinding up chai seeds and adding to water. She claims it really fills you up. But I have not tried it yet.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Eat real food. You're trying to learn a pattern of eating that will keep you healthy and at a good weight the rest of your life.

Besides it's cheaper, tastes better, and will make you feel good.

I find protein - like 5 or 6 cashews - makes me feel full when I'm hungry. Fat and protein - like a spoonful of ice cream or half an oz of cheese - is even better. All under 50 calories.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Scrap the shakes and go for FOOD! Eating a nice wonderful breakfast (ww english muffin, 1-2 pieces of bacon, 1 full egg and 2 whites, maybe a bit of cheese and 1/2 a grapefruit). I gaurentee that you will feel full longer if you scrap those gross shakes and eat some real food.

^^^ That!
    For example, my breakfast was a thin bagel w/ hummus, 1 egg, 1 slice canadian bacon, some greens and milk - that kept me full for 3.5 hours almost (for around 315 calories), then for a snack, I'm currently having blueberries (50) and 6 oz of Fage total greek yogurt (0%) - that's about 140 calories. For lunch, I'm planning on a large serving of homemade tomato, bean, veggie soup (and a twix fun size bar as a treat for working out this morning). For another snack, I'm having a clementine around 2pm.

I am left with plenty for supper and I am going to the gym today so will earn enough for popcorn and a drink later.

REAL FOOD will help you - a "diet" is NOT healthy, instead consider it a change in your life towards a better eating habit. Toss out the shakes.
  • askinnybanana13
    Options
    You will have longer lasting results, less relapses, sleep better, exercise better, perform better at tasks if you eat normal foods that are low or healthy calories. A huge reason we loose or try to loose weight is because we want to feel and look better. A huge part of reaching that goal is to know you did it while still enjoying your life. ---- shake of the shakes and find a easy and happier alternative.:smile:
  • Babeskeez
    Options
    The only shakes I drink are whey, after my workouts.
  • Babeskeez
    Options
    You will have longer lasting results, less relapses, sleep better, exercise better, perform better at tasks if you eat normal foods that are low or healthy calories. A huge reason we loose or try to loose weight is because we want to feel and look better. A huge part of reaching that goal is to know you did it while still enjoying your life. ---- shake of the shakes and find a easy and happier alternative.:smile:

This. How can people expect a life style change off meal REPLACEMENTS?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    This is affecting your mental wellbeing which is a clear sign it is not healthy: eat real wholefoods instead of processed crap. Filling yourself up with 0 calorie foods is not giving your body what it needs, macronutrients. Nutrients that confer satiety include protein, fibre and to a lesser extent fat. Bananas and apples are relatively high sugar and low nutrient, tho probably better than Slimfast. Instead choose bright and dark coloured produce in the full rainbow of colours, nuts and seeds are amazing for nutrients and satiety.

If you want to start a family your body needs to be prepared not just by being a healthy weight but by spending the next few months/ year building healthy and optimally functioning cells and hormones with the right nutrients, not using shoddy building materials. This means antioxidants, bioavailable vitamins and minerals, essential fatty acids especially long chain omega-3s.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Slim fast products and fruit most of the day? You must get one heck of a sugar rush!

And the following low, which is probably why you feel so hungry. Try veggies, nuts and cheese instead of fruit. If the yogurt is plain, it is probably ok, otherwise, dump that, too.

Next time you go to the grocery store, pick up something for breakfast that isn't Slim Fad. The next week, replace lunch.
  • keelz2010
    keelz2010 Posts: 182
    Options
    Ditch Slim fast and the shakes! Unless you plan to eat that Slim fast diet forever, as soon as you end it and eat normal, you'll just pile it back on. Put your details into MFP, then just keep a food diary instead, a try do some exercise, even if it's just getting off the bus a few stops early and walking.
    You can eat normal food and if you plan it right you won't ever feel starving.
    I started in Nov 2012 and I've never once felt like I'm on a diet or starving, it's simply helped me make positive changes to the way I eat.
    Plus if it's support you need there is plenty on here :)
  • mizzlady524
    mizzlady524 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    try eating clean foods.. eggs, oatmeal, chicken, sirloin, vegies... cut out the white flour, rice and sugar. use whole wheat instead. you should not be hungry. eating healthy should be your goal and you will lose the weight doing so. drink at least 8 glasses of water and get 25 grams of fiber, that will help you feel full longer.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Use MFP to set a reasonable weight loss goal. 0.5-2 pounds per week. Figure out your reasonable calorie deficit by calculating your TDEE and then creating a 10%-20% deficit from that. Then use the site to log the REAL food that you eat and don't go over your calorie allotment.. Look at the Success Stories and get motivaiton from all of the people eating food and losing weight.
  • RMCossel
    Options
    I did get the low carb ones, so very low sugar, high fiber and protein. My problem for breakfast is that I don't have time to make something, so it is either drink breakfast or buy a muffin from the coffee cart. Which is NOT an option. Who knew they had so many calories!!! Anyway, I just know that skipping breakfast is definitely bad. This is actually part of why I am so hungry. Before when I skipped breakfast my metabolism wasn't up so I wasn't as hungry. Now that I am starting my eating day earlier I am hungry when it wears off. I am only planning to do the Slim Fast for the first two weeks to kick start this round of diet. It will purge the carb addiction. :)

Any other ideas for easy, on the go breakfasts???
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    For grab & go breakfasts I have a few options:

Make oatmeal ahead of time -- I make pot worth 6 servings or so of steel-cut oats and then grab one of the portions from the fridge and bring it to work to heat up there. (usually around 230 c the way I make it for a portion)

When I don't feel like making oats some weeks I bring a chobani greek yogurt to work (sugary but at least a decent amount of protein) for 140c.

Grab a couple pieces of fruit and / or a hard boiled egg.
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    All ways have a good breakfast.
    There is a very good reason for it as it gives you the energy you need for the start of the day and remember in the day you are constantly burning calories just from moving around.
    It get the brain working and makes you feel better and more alert.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You have to eat right and exercise. Shakes and pills are not the way to do it.

You want a steady wieght loss eating CLEAN foods.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Would you be happy mainly subsisting on shakes for the rest of your entire life? If you said no, then you better learn how to regulate eating habits of normal food now -- finding what makes you happy within reasonable portions, calories and nutritional categories. It's a process. Experiment. Life's too short to stay unhappy. You can do this. :)
  • betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Options
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even the low car slim fast only has 2g of fiber.