South Beach Phase 1 and not losing weight- help please

Options
Hey there. I'm 6 days into south beach phase 1 and have only lost a couple of pounds. While I'm really excited about that and realize it's a healthy amount within a week time frame, I was hoping to drop a few more during this incredibly strict phase.
Anyone have any suggestions, tips or advice?

Here are some stats if this helps-
Height- 5'8"
Weight- 173

Average days food plan:
Morning: two egg white/full egg muffins (egg, vegetable, low cal cheese and turkey bacon baked in a muffin tin). Coffee and non-flavored soy creamer.
Lunch: 3-4 oz sliced turkey deli meat. 1/4 C nuts (usually cashews because I had them). Half a cucumber. 4-5 mini bell peppers.
Dinner- half a chicken breast baked. 1 C mashed cauliflower. Baked asparagus with a little goat cheese sprinkled on.
Snacks- 50 cal string cheese. 1/2 a think thin bar. Celery and low cal laughing cow cheese wedge. sugar free chocolate pudding for a sweet treat. Another vegetable if still hungry.
I've been trying incredibly hard to get the 1200 calories everyday, and I think I have. I don't want to starve my body, but I've also been full and satisfied. I drink about 60 oz of water a day. And I've been trying to incorporate working out, have some asthma issues getting taken care of right now.
Help. I don't want to be the "Bess" from Nancy Drew friend...aka- the pleasantly plump friend.

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    eat more.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would post this in the low carb group if I were you. trust me.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Patience. What is your rush? The weight didn't go on in a week...A few pounds in a week is good. Eat a bit over 1200 EVERYDAY (consistency is the key here, trust me), keep up with the water, try and eat something every 2-3 hours and move more.
  • maxmama55
    maxmama55 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree, eat more. Is South Beach based on calories or just eat certain foods till full? I tried it years ago and can't remember but I'm sure I ate more than you do and I lost real well.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The "up to 13 pounds in two weeks"

- is a maximum
    -applies to people who were eating at McDonalds the day before
    -applies to obese folks - I am shorter than you, so I know that your bmi does not qualify you as such.
    -refers to two weeks, not six days.

You are doing fine, it is your expectations that are out of whack.

Eta: the thin bars aren't really compatible with this stage.
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    hey i too am doing the south beach plan...
    everyones weight loss is different......only a few lbs is great for 6 days so be patient and if
    you follow it you'll notice a consistant weight loss pattern....
    i've been doing it since april 2012 and even though i have hit a plateau (just started excercising now)
    i did lose weight with just changing my eating habits and more importantly my blood work/sugar levels
    have gone back to normal :)
    good luck, be patient and add me if you would like another SB follower as a friend here :)
  • lakimac
    Options
    i think your calorie intake is fine. but you must offset it with some type of cardio, moderate activity .. something.... try walking during a few errand runs... taking the stairs.. walk to the grocery store ... carry 2 shopping bags home.. if the entire errand takes you an hour.. thats an hour worth of moderate activity... do that a few times a week and it can make the difference in losing or not. i understand the asthma issue... but take it slow.. something is better than nothing!
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I know you're probably looking for more advice regarding South Beach specifically, but I don't see anything wrong with your food. I don't follow any sort of program...other than eat less fast and more fresh foods and stay active.

Here's the thing...you're not going to lose it all at once. Use whatever you want to follow that makes you comfortable...but remember that the only way you can be truly successful is if you keep your body satisfied, which it looks like you are.

A couple of pounds in 6 days! That's great! Yes, it's probably water weight...but the day to day fluctuations of a body (especially in women) really keep us from knowing how the changes we make affect us in that little time. Please try not to get frustrated. You may wake up one morning 4 pounds less than the day before and gain 3 of those back the next...weightloss may not occur in a straight line.

I still have a ways to go to get to my target weight, but I've come so far already. I've realized that weight loss is something that I can't expect overnight, but if I look back at what I was a year ago, it helps me stay excited for what I can be a year from now assuming I stay positive.
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Pudding is not a Phase 1 food and I don't think the bar is either.
  • Chultberg
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice!
    Yes, I used to work out consistently doing cardio at least 4 days a week for about 50 minutes, and I took a yoga class the last few months..but with the asthma issues recently felt I couldn't claim those habits in the present.
    South Beach isn't about the calories, it's about the food, you are right. I have been keeping track because I was curious and I noticed I wasn't eating enough once I tracked the food, so I have literally been trying to squeeze more healthy calories into the day, I just keep getting full.
    I did this diet a few years ago and dropped the 13 lbs in the first two weeks, maybe it's just me getting older and changing so it's not happening this time around. I will keep that in mind.
  • Chultberg
    Options
    I will try that, thanks!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yes, it looks like you're eating a good variety, but you should eat more. I did South Beach a few years ago. I didn't count calories and I lost about 12 lbs over 3 months. It stayed off for a couple years but I gradually gained it back when I ate carbs again. I pretty much follow phase 2 with a few extra carbs now, but I don't follow the book exactly. Doing it the first time just made me much more conscious of choosing a snack with protein rather than a bunch of crackers or cookies like I did before.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I’ve had good success on South Beach diet in the past, but I gained it all back, so does that mean it was successful? For me, I eat carbs in moderation. I also eat higher than 1200 calories a day. Eating that low was what really messed up my metabolism. If you want some really good information on fueling your body and eating enough to be happy and still lose weight, go to the Eat more to lose weight discussion area. I still follow some principals of SB to this day, like other posters said, follow a modified version of Phase 2. I don’t eat carbs for breakfast (or try not to) and have my macros set to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat – rather than the 55% carbs MFP automatically sets us too. I find my body responds a lot better to 40% carbs or slightly less. Do what works for you, but as others say, why the rush? That’s my philosophy this time…. I do NOT want to gain the weight back AGAIN!
    Good luck.