Ladies - Help Afternoon Crash

Options
So I am new, day three and I have been cutting caffine, in addition to calories. So its 4 p.m. and I am feeling exhausted....okay so it doesnt help that I did not get as much sleep as I needed but I literally feel a little faint. I just had a snack of wheat bread and some hummas and still feel off. It is that time of the month and I am wondering if my iron is too low as this is a problem I tend to have. Any foods that are easy to bring in for lunch that are high iron that anyone could suggest might be helpful. I only have around 400 calories left for the day....that is slated for dinner.....

Replies

• eu2103
    eu2103 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Spinach is high in iron, and so is red meat. So maybe a spinach salad, or a lean cut of beef (flank steak, for example). Even oatmeal (preferably the "real" kind, not the instant kind) could help. Otherwise, it might just be the lack of sleep, not iron. I find it much harder to stick to healthy and low-cal foods when I don't get enough rest. Also, if your lunch is high in carbs, it may be a "sugar crash". Hummus and whole wheat bread sounds like a good, high-fiber snack though.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started. I had consulted with a nutritionist before I started. I asked her and she suggested that I add either some coconut milk or an egg to my diet. It got better within a few days of starting and I eventually didn't have the dizziness happen.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful if we could see your food diary, but not knowing... there's a good chance your daily intake is too low. How much of a deficit are you trying to create? How much weight do you have to lose?

If these are not issues, I would take a look at your protein and make sure you're getting at least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. If not that, try raising your fat and lowering your carbs (assuming you don't have a medical reason for having to have a low fat diet). That will help keep you feeling fuller, longer.

With all that said, most likely you're not eating enough. A car isn't going to go anywhere with no gas in the tank.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Maybe some protein ..... hard-boiled eggs, LF cheesesticks ...... some almonds or fruit ..... and get some exercise, then you'll have "extra" calories to use up :drinker:

Feel better !
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    Maybe some protein ..... hard-boiled eggs, LF cheesesticks ...... some almonds or fruit ..... and get some exercise, then you'll have "extra" calories to use up :drinker:

Feel better !

That is what I was going to suggest. Even getting up and going for a quick walk might perk you up some.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    increase your protein.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    My go-to snack when I'm crashing is a sliced apple with pb (not a lot maybe a tablespoon). The fiber and protein keep me full, and the natural sugars give me that extra surge of energy (and satisfy the sweet tooth!)
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    increase your protein.

Yep, more protein throughout the day seems to help me. And lots and lots of water. Maybe some green tea or herbal tea to mix it up a bit. And do make sure you're eating enough.
  • Sariebon
    Sariebon Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I always make sure I take an Iron supplement especially when it's my time of the month. Women with heavy menstrual cycles will have lower iron stores due to significant blood loss.

Just another small way to keep looking after yourself! :)
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I feel sluggish when I don't get some exercise in mid-day. Try a quick walk or stretching. I bet you'll feel a lot better!
  • hisclove
    Options
    I agree: more protein. No carbs. No sugars. No caffeine = no crash.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Check your iron levels. Iron helps regulate energy levels in the body.

During TOM, a woman loses significant amounts of iron.

Caffeine is rarely the culprit, as people that have been drinking coffee for years do not experience the crash that beginners do. So, I say take that cup of coffee and be merry. Just avoid loading it with sugar and creamer as that can up the calories quickly.