_No Dinner Diet_

Options
I have just started getting serious about my weight loss this week. I've been putting it off, but I just recently got engaged and I refuse to be a fatty in my engagement pictures. I've been doing really well on my eating, I've only been eating fruits and vegetables and drinking water. I've pretty much cut out meat because the meat I really like is not good for me, like bacon and fried chicken. So I've decided it's just easier to do without becauase I really don't like the taste of grilled chicken. I can get my protein from other sources. ANYWAYS, I have been reading a lot of blogs about the "No Dinner Diet". I have been debating on starting this to boost my weight loss, but my only problem is that I do all of my exercise/work outs after work at night. So when I leave the gym I'm really hungry. I thought about just drinking a protein shake or something and staying away from eating solid foods after 6pm. I feel like this might really help me to lose weight, BUT I've also heard/read that you really need to refuel your body after you work out and if you skip a meal it slows down your metabolism. I have seen where it has helped lots of people lose weight though. Thoughts, comments, concerns??? Has anyone tried this??
still debating

Replies

• BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Any diet that asks you to eliminate something will never work. Figure out your TDEE and eat a decent deficit, move if you want and that is all you need.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have just started getting serious about my weight loss this week. I've been putting it off, but I just recently got engaged and I refuse to be a fatty in my engagement pictures. I've been doing really well on my eating, I've only been eating fruits and vegetables and drinking water. I've pretty much cut out meat because the meat I really like is not good for me, like bacon and fried chicken. So I've decided it's just easier to do without becauase I really don't like the taste of grilled chicken. I can get my protein from other sources. ANYWAYS, I have been reading a lot of blogs about the "No Dinner Diet". I have been debating on starting this to boost my weight loss, but my only problem is that I do all of my exercise/work outs after work at night. So when I leave the gym I'm really hungry. I thought about just drinking a protein shake or something and staying away from eating solid foods after 6pm. I feel like this might really help me to lose weight, BUT I've also heard/read that you really need to refuel your body after you work out and if you skip a meal it slows down your metabolism. I have seen where it has helped lots of people lose weight though. Thoughts, comments, concerns??? Has anyone tried this??
    still debating

Why are you avoiding solid foods after 6pm?
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Just don't incorporate any changes that you are doing as a 'diet', and not as a permanent fixture of your life.

It's typically better to just split your calories up throughout the day, pre-log your meals and enjoy your food. Not eating after 6pm would kill me and isn't worth it. You can lose the weight without all of that.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You are really only eating fruits and vegetables?
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    BUT I've also heard/read that you really need to refuel your body after you work out and if you skip a meal it slows down your metabolism. I have seen where it has helped lots of people lose weight though. Thoughts, comments, concerns??? Has anyone tried this??
    still debating
    Doesn't matter when you eat. This has been debunked and continues to be debated. In the end, whatever helps you get through the day at a calorie deficit is what is going to be successful. I personally enjoy eating at night so I do. Sometimes I eat breakfast, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I have 2 meals a day sometimes I will have up to 4. I eat when I want and just try to stay under my calories budget and within my macros and it works.
  • mahalaahearn
    mahalaahearn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would not try skipping a meal, ever. It will slow your metabolism, especially if you work out at night. Your body needs nutrients consistently. Try eating a little lighter in the evenings than the rest of the day. Also, try getting the majority of your daily protein right after you work out. That will help you build muscle and as you know, muscle burns more calories than fat. Good luck and congrats on the wedding!!
  • ericmooney69
    Options
    If you enjoy food, this is doomed to fail. Assuming you eat meat, stick with vegetables (lots...and not too many of the starchy ones), fruit (moderation...be careful here) and meat. (mix it up, but a majority if lean meat). Do NOT consume anything processed --- PERIOD. Keep it simple. Real food.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Make your own plan. Do not follow a "diet".

Use MFP to set REASONABLE goals for yourself. 1 pound is usually the best. Half a pound if you only have a little to lose (like 20 pounds to lose). 1.5 and 2.0 pounds a week are meant for severely overweight/morbidly obese people.

If you select a loss per week that is too ambitious, you'll eventually stall.

So, follow MFP's advice on calorie intake and make sure you get PLENTY of protein. A protein shake/powder might help since you've decided to remove meats from your diet.

DO NOT try to lose weight real fast. Your body is smart and will fight you if you do. You have to nickle and dime it. Most people go full force and stall very quickly and then get discouraged and stop. That is why weight loss is hard to do for most.

As for cutting out dinner... no. Eat whenever you want. Just be sure you do not go over your calories.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not.

Personally, I don't really eat lunch or breakfast (rarely both, just one or the other as my schedule fluctuates daily) unless I'm home all day, so I only eat two times a day on busy days. As long as your body gets the nutrition it needs, I find it doesn't really matter when or at which volume. Do what works for you, and listen to your body. Even if I'm at my calorie target, if I'm hungry, I eat. I figure I'm over some days, under on others, so it all balances out in the end.

Just keep tracking :)
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I would not try skipping a meal, ever. It will slow your metabolism, especially if you work out at night. Your body needs nutrients consistently. Try eating a little lighter in the evenings than the rest of the day. Also, try getting the majority of your daily protein right after you work out. That will help you build muscle and as you know, muscle burns more calories than fat. Good luck and congrats on the wedding!!
    Omg, really? How come my metabolism will slow down if I skip a meal? And by "skip a meal", how many meals should I be having?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Make your own plan. Do not follow a "diet".

Use MFP to set REASONABLE goals for yourself. 1 pound is usually the best. Half a pound if you only have a little to lose (like 20 pounds to lose). 1.5 and 2.0 pounds a week are meant for severely overweight/morbidly obese people.

If you select a loss per week that is too ambitious, you'll eventually stall.

So, follow MFP's advice on calorie intake and make sure you get PLENTY of protein. A protein shake/powder might help since you've decided to remove meats from your diet.

DO NOT try to lose weight real fast. Your body is smart and will fight you if you do. You have to nickle and dime it. Most people go full force and stall very quickly and then get discouraged and stop. That is why weight loss is hard to do for most.

As for cutting out dinner... no. Eat whenever you want. Just be sure you do not go over your calories.

All of this.

You're reading weight loss blogs and articles, when the answer is staring you right in the face - use MFP the way it was intended. Gimmicky diets is just grasping at straws and won't get you the results you want.

Eat what you want (including bacon and fried chicken!) when you want.....all you have to do is stay under your calorie goal. It's smart to eat nutritious foods, so have a lot of fruits and veggies, lean protein, whole grains, fats, etc. But don't fall for the trap of eliminating certain foods of only eating at certain times of the day. It's unneccessary for weight loss.

Edit to say that a lot of people have success with intermittent fasting - and there's nothing wrong with skipping a meal. There is something wrong with being overly restrictive and completely eliminating foods from your diet (unless you have a medical reason to do so).
  • ericmooney69
    Options
    I think the point is....eat if you are hungry. Like any other creature would do.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    From the way you've described your lifestyle, it doesn't sound like a plan that would really suit you that well.
  • Naconalee
    Options
    I'm not avoiding them yet, it was just a thought. I've always heard don't eat anything after 7pm because your body stores it and some of it turns to fat. But technically I guess it really depends on what your eating. I just thought that if I eat most of my calories throughout the day and only drink a protein shake after my work out I would be better off.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm not avoiding them yet, it was just a thought. I've always heard don't eat anything after 7pm because your body stores it and some of it turns to fat. But technically I guess it really depends on what your eating. I just thought that if I eat most of my calories throughout the day and only drink a protein shake after my work out I would be better off.

Wrong. Your metabolism doesn't shut down. Ever. You will still burn calories at night. Your body is awesome like that.

Eat whenever. Meal timing is about personal preference.

I regularly eat 500-700 calories between 7-11pm.

The only time food (from any macro) gets stored as fat is when you eat more than what you burn.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Don't make this harder than it already is. Just keep the total amount of calories you eat between waking and sleeping under your calorie goal and try to eat more whole nutritious foods. Add in an exercise plan.

You don't need a ton of "rules" to be successful. Most of those "diet rules" like "don't eat after Xpm" are nonsense anyway.

When in doubt: KIS (Keep It Simple)
  • Naconalee
    Options
    I knew people would eat me alive when I said "diet". Let me just say I don't believe in diets b/c I know they never work. I just titled this topic the no dinner diet because it's just something I saw on a blog post and I don't really see it as a diet but more of cutting back. I guess I should have titled it just "NO DINNER" I'm eating right and working out and I know that's the best way to lose weight b/c I lost 20 pounds last year by eating good foods, drinking lots of water, and working out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    still debating

I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss efforts, but this entire post makes me worry that you are setting yourself up for failure by using gimmicks and tricks to lose weight, instead of learning how to eat to maintain weight and health for a lifetime.

Are you really going to be happy never eating dinner, or bacon, or fried chicken. Learn to balance the good with the bad (more good than bad), but don't make your diet so strict that you can't live with it long term.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I knew people would eat me alive when I said "diet". Let me just say I don't believe in diets b/c I know they never work. I just titled this topic the no dinner diet because it's just something I saw on a blog post and I don't really see it as a diet but more of cutting back. I guess I should have titled it just "NO DINNER" I'm eating right and working out and I know that's the best way to lose weight b/c I lost 20 pounds last year by eating good foods, drinking lots of water, and working out.

Cutting back too much can be a bad thing also. Undereating and demonizing food you enjoy usually leads to binging and ultimately failure.

You're better off doing what you did before and just keeping up with it this time. Consistency and patience will take you a long long way.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Then you already know that cutting out dinner completely is definitely not required to lose weight. The only reason you should cut out dinner is if you're simply not hungry at that time, otherwise why not eat dinner? The whole "do not eat after __pm" thing is a myth. You can absolutely eat whatever foods you enjoy whenever you want and lose weight as long as you stay within your calories/macros. It's really that simple.. avoiding dinner is far from necessary.