Freaking *kitten* ~

Options
They are going to start putting monitoring devices on our computers to track our internet usage, which means I won't be able to get on this site during the day. WTF?!?!?!

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I'm not supposed to either but IE 8 has InPrivate Browsing which doesn't go in your history so I work around it, not sure if that would work around whatever method they are using to track you though.
    Chrome has a similar feature called Incognito.

I mostly use my phone for it when at work though.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    I hate it when work interfers with personal stuff :laugh:
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Lame!

Firefox also has private browsing.. good luck!
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    so if i download firefox they won't be able to monitor?
  • ScottieW
    ScottieW Posts: 10
    Options
    I have an iPhone that I use to update durring times when I'm at work and don't have access. Highly reccomended!
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    i won't be able to track my calories or keep up with my mfp besties.....i might lose my mind.
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    Just to let you know, the incognito features of chrome, safari, firefox or any other browsers have nothing to do with your work tracking you. If your work policy is to not use these sites, and they are tracking your usage, they will have a full record of all your visits to these sites regardless of what you do in your browser. My suggestion to you is to follow your work policy or risk losing your job.

Please don't shoot the messenger, it is only that I work in the IT industry so I know what your company can do.

If you want to know the technical aspects of this, feel free to private message me.
  • mhoss101
    mhoss101 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just say you are doing a health and wellness program that guarantees you will be a happier, more productive employee!!!
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    my work supposedly tracks our internet usage and they sure as hell block almost anything and everything. how i'm able to get on here is beyond me. you could be ok.
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    :cry: That sucks. Just write down your food & jump on the site quickly to log in your meals. Tell them it is for your health! :happy:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can still log on during your lunch hour?? At least?? I hope you figure out something!!
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    this is my life line.....i might just jump out of the building. :frown:
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    so if i download firefox they won't be able to monitor?

I wish I knew. I just know that "private browsing" is an option- I don't really know what it does. I guess sblim had the answer to that. Does anyone know the best way to clear your history? Should you delete cookies too? The only thing I know about cookies is that they are yummy! haha. Sorry Seoid- I wish I were more knowledgeable!
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    [/quote

^^^^^^^^:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ]
  • logiesmom
    logiesmom Posts: 142
    Options
    They are going to start putting monitoring devices on our computers to track our internet usage, which means I won't be able to get on this site during the day. WTF?!?!?!

Maybe it was just a threat to scare people. Just grasping at straws here. :(
  • HollyAnnH
    HollyAnnH Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Posted by mhoss101

"Just say you are doing a health and wellness program that guarantees you will be a happier, more productive employee "

LOL!!! Love it!!!

I totally agree....just tell them it is stress management and this site keeps you from getting that "gonna go postal" feeling! :laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    Posted by mhoss101

"Just say you are doing a health and wellness program that guarantees you will be a happier, more productive employee "

LOL!!! Love it!!!

I totally agree....just tell them it is stress management and this site keeps you from getting that "gonna go postal" feeling! :laugh:

Actually I remember some members on here talking about that a couple years ago, how they talked to their boss and shared they used the site for health purposes. They were then able to log and still post. I don't know much more about it than that, sorry.

Becca
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know, the incognito features of chrome, safari, firefox or any other browsers have nothing to do with your work tracking you. If your work policy is to not use these sites, and they are tracking your usage, they will have a full record of all your visits to these sites regardless of what you do in your browser. My suggestion to you is to follow your work policy or risk losing your job.

Please don't shoot the messenger, it is only that I work in the IT industry so I know what your company can do.

If you want to know the technical aspects of this, feel free to private message me.
    This is correct, I'm also in IT.

The private browsing and such are for the computer being used, and nobody else can get on to the SAME computer and find out where you've been.

Your work has every right to track the websites visited, but you are entitled to a lunch break, and while on lunch you should be ok to visit a health website.

Think of it this way.. IE - Firefox - Browser - Wants to go to .. www.makethisup.com.
    From your computer it has to go out through your work's router to your Internet provider and then connect to the website.

Your work's router is logging EVERYTHING that goes out of your router/firewall.

My guess. This has always been turned on and been logged. Every company I worked at said it was, but someone (a boring job) has to go through and filter out what websites are good or bad etc.
  • KalB
    KalB Posts: 42
    Options
    I agree dont try to be sneaky about it talk to them and let them know what you are doing on here and why. Most companies try to have some kind of health program so they should be ok with it I would think.